viruses

  • Len
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2001
      Hello All;

      I am passing this along for anyone that is not aware of the problem.

      Regards, Len Hargrove

      As you may have already heard, there are two new viruses circulating
      on the Internet. They are known as W32.Sircam.Worm@mm and the
      Code Red Worm. As a significant proportion of both our ISP and
      software customer's machines have been infected, I wanted to both
      warn you and provide a remedy. You might have recently noticed
      messages in your Inbox with random subjects, strange attachments
      and body text that reads (something like):

      Hi! How are you?

      I send you this file in order to have your advice

      See you later. Thanks

      This message is sent from a computer infected with the Worm called
      W32.Sircam.Worm@mm. It is difficult to tell if your PC is infected with
      the virus because of the way it was created. However, you can be
      sure that the person who sent the e-mail is infected. (You might want
      to forward this message back to them.) Protect yourself now by getting
      a copy of Norton AntiVirus - the world's leading anti-virus software at
      DownloadStore.com.

      http://www.downloadstore.com/w32sircam.html

      The Code Red Worm is different from the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm Worm.
      It only affects computers running Microsoft's Internet Information Server
      (IIS) Web server software on Windows NT or Windows 2000. You can
      also protect yourself from this virus by going to:

      http://www.downloadstore.com/codered.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2001
        Hi Len,

        I have been getting hit with 50-100 of them a day from my Fookes
        Software support addresses. As you might think, a number of
        people have the addresses in their addressbook... For quite
        awhile I would download headers only and delete the ones that had
        the worm attached. I do not get to many now. I suspect they are
        being deleted at the server level so the Internet is not bogged
        down as much, but I still notice a long period of downloading. I
        had a reply ready to go for all the ones that were infected which
        might be part of why is has slowed down tremendously after the
        first two weeks.

        >I am passing this along for anyone that is not aware of the problem.
        >
        >Regards, Len Hargrove
        >
        >As you may have already heard, there are two new viruses circulating
        >on the Internet. They are known as W32.Sircam.Worm@mm and the
        >Code Red Worm. As a significant proportion of both our ISP and
        >software customer's machines have been infected, I wanted to both
        >warn you and provide a remedy. You might have recently noticed
        >messages in your Inbox with random subjects, strange attachments
        >and body text that reads (something like):
        >
        > Hi! How are you?
        >
        > I send you this file in order to have your advice
        >
        > See you later. Thanks
        >
        >This message is sent from a computer infected with the Worm called
        >W32.Sircam.Worm@mm. It is difficult to tell if your PC is infected with
        >the virus because of the way it was created. However, you can be
        >sure that the person who sent the e-mail is infected. (You might want
        >to forward this message back to them.) Protect yourself now by getting
        >a copy of Norton AntiVirus - the world's leading anti-virus software at
        >DownloadStore.com.
        >
        >http://www.downloadstore.com/w32sircam.html
        >
        >The Code Red Worm is different from the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm Worm.
        >It only affects computers running Microsoft's Internet Information Server
        >(IIS) Web server software on Windows NT or Windows 2000. You can
        >also protect yourself from this virus by going to:
        >
        >http://www.downloadstore.com/codered.html

      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2001

          Alle 16.24 Saturday 04/08/2001 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

          >Hi Len,
          >
          >I have been getting hit with 50-100 of them a day from my Fookes
          >Software support addresses. As you might think, a number of
          >people have the addresses in their addressbook...

          I guess some virii can get addresses from cache, too...
          I receive infected messages from a lot of unknown people.

          > For quite
          >awhile I would download headers only and delete the ones that had
          >the worm attached. I do not get to many now. I suspect they are
          >being deleted at the server level so the Internet is not bogged
          >down as much, but I still notice a long period of downloading.

          Suggestion for everybody: if your provider don't filter the mail you can
          check it on the web before to download...

          Bye

          Marco Bernardini