cannot install notetab light

  • crazy-horse@outgun.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2001
      I have been using Notetab Light for a year or so, and have been very
      pleased with it. The other day when I opened it up, all of the
      documents were blank. No sign of life no matter what I tried. So I
      checked some other similar programs I've had laying around from when
      I was checking out text editors, and all but one other were okay - as
      in that they showed the text file. (Arachnophilia gave me the message
      "Failed to open empty document!".) I tried reinstalling Notetab from
      the zip I had, then I tried downloading it again and installing that
      file, and then I tried uninstalling it so that I could do a clean
      install. It refused to uninstall so I (darn it!) just deleted that
      folder and then did a registry clean up. After that I tried
      installing it again and I keep getting hung up on "Preparing wizard,
      please wait." (I could wait till doomsday before it does
      anything! "not responding".) I love my Notetab and I want it back,
      but I'm clueless at this point. I don't know what I might have done
      to make this happen. If anyone could help me out with some idea I
      would really appreciate it. If it helps to know, I am running Windows
      98, my computer knowledge is not the greatest, like I used a program
      to clean up the registry I've never edited it myself before, but I'll
      give anything a shot at this point.

      I did a search in the Notetab Basic List and found this reference:

      Date: Mon Aug 7, 2000 5:18 pm
      Subject: Re: [NTB] Installation Problems
      Hi Alvaro,

      >Recently my computer stopped answering and I turned it
      >off with a Notetab Light session opened, when I turned it back
      >on and tried to open a text file using NT nothing happened,
      >the file seemed to be loaded but it appeared blank and if I tried
      >to type anything I got a message box asking:
      >
      >Confirm
      >Replace large selection?
      >Yes or No

      NoteTab Light uses the Rich-edit input control, which is part of
      Windows.
      It's possible that the DLL which contains this control, or one of the
      related ones, is damaged. If this is the case, you would have to
      reinstall the DLL to fix the problem.

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes

      If that might be the case, how do I figure out which DLL it is? Tell
      me it doesn't mean reinstalling Windows PLEASE! I never fail to
      forget to back up something(s) when I've done that (twice.)

      Thanks for taking the time to read this.
      crazy_horse_gt@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2001
        Hi crazy-horse@...,

        Turn off any resource hogs that you may have in Startup (or anti-
        virus programs). Then try installing from a fresh boot. Your
        display problem could very likely be a corrupt riched32.dll
        and/or resource issue.