RE: Web Link Software

  • jwmail@mediaone.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2001
      Hello Greg,

      (this is from a thread started on ntb-html and moved here...)

      > The kind of package I am looking for will allow you to focus on an
      > icon representing one page and around it will draw icons for
      > each page that it is linked to. Each of these icons/pages
      > then in turn have lines representing
      > links to radiate from them ad infinitem. Click on a different
      > icon and the screen redraws with the newly selected
      > icon as the focus of the display.

      This is exactly what Astra SiteManager does. From the user guide:

      ======================
      SiteManager scans your entire web site, highlighting functional areas
      with URLs and color-coded links. It builds a comprehensive map of
      your site. SiteManager finds broken links or access problems,
      compares maps as your site changes, identifies key usage patterns,
      and accesses dynamically generated pages.

      The map that SiteManager creates includes all web objects in your
      site, such as HTML, Java applets, and Common Gateway Interface (CGI)
      scripts. It contains helpful statistics and enables you to view an
      overview of your entire site or detailed information about specific
      elements.

      SiteManager also provides the following utilities:

      - Change Viewer enables you to compare two versions of a site map in
      order to monitor changes to your site. For more information, see
      Chapter 7, "Comparing Two Versions of a Site Map."

      - Action Tracker enables you to view your server activity logs in
      SiteManager, with favorite user pages and navigation paths clearly
      marked. For more information, see Chapter 8, "Viewing Server Activity
      with the Action Tracker."

      - Link Doctor helps you fix broken links in your web site. For more
      information, see Chapter 9, "Fixing Broken Links."

      - Astra Scheduler enables you to schedule SiteManager tasks. For more
      information, see Chapter 11, "Scheduling Tasks."

      It is available as a free download from
      http://my.mercuryinteractive.com/cgi-bin/portal/trynbuy/asm.jsp?
      prod=8023 You have to register with them to get a license key but if
      you use an expiring mail account from www.expireit.com you shouldn't
      have any trouble.

      I thought it was going to be very useful, but then got FrontPage
      whose link mapping tool I found more useful, so I never really
      explored its capabilities.

      Jonathan