Re: [NTO] 15 O'Reilly computer books free for download

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2001

      Alle 03.43 Sunday 15/07/2001 +0000, casullian_454@... ha mandato a
      Marco questo messaggio:

      >Just found this posted on another site. Many free Perl
      >books. These are old from a beta version of O'Reilly's CD bookshelf,
      >but still useful.
      >
      >You can surf all of these books online here:
      >http://corvin.spb.ru/

      A Russian site?
      This smells of piracy, so it's better I run to download them!

      About books: did you know a book titled "Extra Virgin"?
      It speaks about my village, and it seems to be a best-seller in the US.
      I'm trying to persuade our mayor to make the official town site, but
      bureaucratic times are always very long.
      A week ago some Japanese come here with the book to buy a farm between
      olive groves...
      So, if somebody read (and like) "Extra Virgin", please send me an
      enthusiastic message about it, just to persuade my mayor to shorten times ;-)

      Bye

      Marco Bernardini
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2001

        Alle 03.43 Sunday 15/07/2001 +0000, casullian_454@... ha mandato a
        Marco questo messaggio:

        >Just found this posted on another site. Many free Perl
        >books. These are old from a beta version of O'Reilly's CD bookshelf,
        >but still useful.

        I check the site: almost unaccessible because of too many users.
        As I guess previously, it's a pirate site: the dark side of the end of the
        Cold War...
        I bet Bill Gates and many other US software producers mourn old good times,
        when Stalin took a foot on the neck of these people! But now they're free...
        A good marketing strategy for Microsoft will be KGB 2.0, I suppose :-)

        Have a sunny Sunday!

        Marco
      • elssner@crosswinds.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Marco Bernardini <webmaster@t...> wrote:
          > As I guess previously, it's a pirate site: the dark side of the end
          of the
          > Cold War...

          Hi Marco, Lotta, casullian ...

          like Lotta I was happy about the opportunity first, and I downloaded
          some of the files.

          However for all I can see now Marco is right :-|

          O'Reilly's copyright claimer is unmistakable:

          "This CD-ROM is intended for use by one individual. As such, you may
          make copies for your own personal use. However, you may not provide
          copies to others, or make this reference library available to others
          over a LAN or other network. You may not reprint, offer for sale, or
          otherwise re-use material from this book without the explicit written
          permission of O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. If you would like to
          discuss licensing for multiple users, contact service@...."

          (From the copyright notice for The UNIX CD Bookshelf, not accessible
          from the russion web page, but from the ftp-link)

          I played with the idea that I could legally use the electronic
          releases of at least that books I own in print already. :-)) However
          I'm almost sure that I'm wrong even with that.

          Regards
          Stefan