Re: [NTO] need database program

  • Stephen Riddle
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
      Hi Lotta,
      It's been a day or so since your first post, which I deleted since I
      thought all sorts of good databases would be coming out of the wood
      work.
      I downloaded a simple SQL database about a year ago to practice sql
      commands with.
      I got busy with other things, but the program seems to have everything
      most sql databases should have. If you do SQL here is its URI:
      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL

      Cheers To YOU
      Stephen
    • elssner@crosswinds.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Lotta <loro@t...> wrote:
        > Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior,
        actually is
        > that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has
        the
        > expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so
        I'm still
        > looking and hoping.

        Hi Lotta,

        as far as I understood your needs regarding a simple textbased
        database program right, Paul Lutus' dbEdit seems indeed to be the
        closest solution - at least among the programs I know.

        I use it often, and I like it as a nice interface for managing flat
        text-based datafiles - while being able to edit them anytime with any
        texteditor too. Can easily port them to any other OS, and so on.

        I didn't miss the sorting by click on the column header so far.

        However, maybe you could persuade Paul to add this feature? ;-)

        Regards
        Stefan
        --
        Stefan Elssner
        elssner@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2001
          Hi Lotta,

          Have you checked out

          http://www.thornsoft.com/

          they call it a clipboard extender.

          But it has a collapsible/expandable tree view of which you can create
          various categories with even more than several layers of sub
          categories underneath if you so choose.

          I create a general category that contains up to 3 or 4 more specific
          sub categories underneath, all on the visual tree.

          I am visually oriented and I find it very visual (I wondered if the
          tree view might take the place of column tabs)

          It has rather good search capability. can limit search to 1 of your
          categories or search all categories or everything.

          Its screen size is easily expandable/collapsible from very small to
          mid size to full screen and back again.

          Can view things larger or can set font to larger.

          has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic formats
          with it.

          Option exists for it to start up with clipboard capture turned off
          and can easily toggle capture on and off. (select and copy an item
          captures it into its storage)

          Though I unsure, it seems that its data/storage files are proprietary
          (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

          It can be a visual finder tool for an organization challenged
          individual like myself.

          I like the visual view and that it can have significantly more sub
          categories than say a NoteTab outline which is heasder and topic,
          just 2 categories only.

          Though I recently see with a Ntab outline ability exists to hyperlink
          off to other files. So, perhaps I might tinker with the use of a
          Ntab outline as an index with which to link to sub categories via
          hyperlinked articles.

          Alan.

        • acummings@snowcrest.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
            Hi, (correction)

            > has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic
            formats
            > with it.

            Can only do a screen capture which makes, saves .bmp Cannot view or
            save other sorts of graphic files.

            > (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

            Nope, I made a mistake. It's not a graphic storer/viewer. Can only
            screen capture (print screen).

            Alan.
          • lungtroll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 20, 2001
              Hi Lotta
              If you are still looking for a database program.
              Checkout Treepad which has a free and a pro version.
              www.treepad.com

              I have Access and Filemaker but have converted all my information to
              TreepadPro version after using the free version for some time.

              my kindest regards
              Peter