Re: [NTO] need database program

  • future.com@vsnl.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
      try one at www.yrsoft.com
      may be this is what you are looking for

      At 02:25 PM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:

      >Hello,
      >
      >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
      >
      >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
      >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
      >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
      >
      >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
      >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
      >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
      >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
      >be easily read.
      >
      >I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
      >interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).
      >
      >Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
      >Free is preferred, but cheap will do.
      >
      >Thanks in advance,
      >Lotta

      >---
      >Incoming mail is virus free

    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
        Hi all,

        Long time no see, Bill. All well?
        Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior, actually is
        that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has the
        expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so I'm still
        looking and hoping.

        Cheers,
        Lotta
      • Stephen Riddle
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
          Hi Lotta,
          It's been a day or so since your first post, which I deleted since I
          thought all sorts of good databases would be coming out of the wood
          work.
          I downloaded a simple SQL database about a year ago to practice sql
          commands with.
          I got busy with other things, but the program seems to have everything
          most sql databases should have. If you do SQL here is its URI:
          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL

          Cheers To YOU
          Stephen
        • elssner@crosswinds.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Lotta <loro@t...> wrote:
            > Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior,
            actually is
            > that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has
            the
            > expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so
            I'm still
            > looking and hoping.

            Hi Lotta,

            as far as I understood your needs regarding a simple textbased
            database program right, Paul Lutus' dbEdit seems indeed to be the
            closest solution - at least among the programs I know.

            I use it often, and I like it as a nice interface for managing flat
            text-based datafiles - while being able to edit them anytime with any
            texteditor too. Can easily port them to any other OS, and so on.

            I didn't miss the sorting by click on the column header so far.

            However, maybe you could persuade Paul to add this feature? ;-)

            Regards
            Stefan
            --
            Stefan Elssner
            elssner@...
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2001
              Hi Lotta,

              Have you checked out

              http://www.thornsoft.com/

              they call it a clipboard extender.

              But it has a collapsible/expandable tree view of which you can create
              various categories with even more than several layers of sub
              categories underneath if you so choose.

              I create a general category that contains up to 3 or 4 more specific
              sub categories underneath, all on the visual tree.

              I am visually oriented and I find it very visual (I wondered if the
              tree view might take the place of column tabs)

              It has rather good search capability. can limit search to 1 of your
              categories or search all categories or everything.

              Its screen size is easily expandable/collapsible from very small to
              mid size to full screen and back again.

              Can view things larger or can set font to larger.

              has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic formats
              with it.

              Option exists for it to start up with clipboard capture turned off
              and can easily toggle capture on and off. (select and copy an item
              captures it into its storage)

              Though I unsure, it seems that its data/storage files are proprietary
              (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

              It can be a visual finder tool for an organization challenged
              individual like myself.

              I like the visual view and that it can have significantly more sub
              categories than say a NoteTab outline which is heasder and topic,
              just 2 categories only.

              Though I recently see with a Ntab outline ability exists to hyperlink
              off to other files. So, perhaps I might tinker with the use of a
              Ntab outline as an index with which to link to sub categories via
              hyperlinked articles.

              Alan.

            • acummings@snowcrest.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
                Hi, (correction)

                > has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic
                formats
                > with it.

                Can only do a screen capture which makes, saves .bmp Cannot view or
                save other sorts of graphic files.

                > (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                Nope, I made a mistake. It's not a graphic storer/viewer. Can only
                screen capture (print screen).

                Alan.
              • lungtroll@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20, 2001
                  Hi Lotta
                  If you are still looking for a database program.
                  Checkout Treepad which has a free and a pro version.
                  www.treepad.com

                  I have Access and Filemaker but have converted all my information to
                  TreepadPro version after using the free version for some time.

                  my kindest regards
                  Peter