Re: [NTO] need database program

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001

      Alle 14.25 Tuesday 26/06/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

      >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based.

      I'm using MySQL: it's not very small (2 Mb just the manual), but it's from
      Sweden ;-)
      It works fine on my hybrid Intranet, using a Web interface (just some
      simple Perl).

      BTW, MySQL AB is looking for a seasoned Chief Financial Officer in
      Stockholm, if you're interested...

      Bye!

      Marco
    • future.com@vsnl.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
        try one at www.yrsoft.com
        may be this is what you are looking for

        At 02:25 PM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:

        >Hello,
        >
        >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
        >
        >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
        >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
        >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
        >
        >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
        >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
        >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
        >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
        >be easily read.
        >
        >I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
        >interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).
        >
        >Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
        >Free is preferred, but cheap will do.
        >
        >Thanks in advance,
        >Lotta

        >---
        >Incoming mail is virus free

      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
          Hi all,

          Long time no see, Bill. All well?
          Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior, actually is
          that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has the
          expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so I'm still
          looking and hoping.

          Cheers,
          Lotta
        • Stephen Riddle
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
            Hi Lotta,
            It's been a day or so since your first post, which I deleted since I
            thought all sorts of good databases would be coming out of the wood
            work.
            I downloaded a simple SQL database about a year ago to practice sql
            commands with.
            I got busy with other things, but the program seems to have everything
            most sql databases should have. If you do SQL here is its URI:
            http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL

            Cheers To YOU
            Stephen
          • elssner@crosswinds.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Lotta <loro@t...> wrote:
              > Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior,
              actually is
              > that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has
              the
              > expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so
              I'm still
              > looking and hoping.

              Hi Lotta,

              as far as I understood your needs regarding a simple textbased
              database program right, Paul Lutus' dbEdit seems indeed to be the
              closest solution - at least among the programs I know.

              I use it often, and I like it as a nice interface for managing flat
              text-based datafiles - while being able to edit them anytime with any
              texteditor too. Can easily port them to any other OS, and so on.

              I didn't miss the sorting by click on the column header so far.

              However, maybe you could persuade Paul to add this feature? ;-)

              Regards
              Stefan
              --
              Stefan Elssner
              elssner@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2001
                Hi Lotta,

                Have you checked out

                http://www.thornsoft.com/

                they call it a clipboard extender.

                But it has a collapsible/expandable tree view of which you can create
                various categories with even more than several layers of sub
                categories underneath if you so choose.

                I create a general category that contains up to 3 or 4 more specific
                sub categories underneath, all on the visual tree.

                I am visually oriented and I find it very visual (I wondered if the
                tree view might take the place of column tabs)

                It has rather good search capability. can limit search to 1 of your
                categories or search all categories or everything.

                Its screen size is easily expandable/collapsible from very small to
                mid size to full screen and back again.

                Can view things larger or can set font to larger.

                has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic formats
                with it.

                Option exists for it to start up with clipboard capture turned off
                and can easily toggle capture on and off. (select and copy an item
                captures it into its storage)

                Though I unsure, it seems that its data/storage files are proprietary
                (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                It can be a visual finder tool for an organization challenged
                individual like myself.

                I like the visual view and that it can have significantly more sub
                categories than say a NoteTab outline which is heasder and topic,
                just 2 categories only.

                Though I recently see with a Ntab outline ability exists to hyperlink
                off to other files. So, perhaps I might tinker with the use of a
                Ntab outline as an index with which to link to sub categories via
                hyperlinked articles.

                Alan.

              • acummings@snowcrest.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
                  Hi, (correction)

                  > has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic
                  formats
                  > with it.

                  Can only do a screen capture which makes, saves .bmp Cannot view or
                  save other sorts of graphic files.

                  > (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                  Nope, I made a mistake. It's not a graphic storer/viewer. Can only
                  screen capture (print screen).

                  Alan.
                • lungtroll@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 20, 2001
                    Hi Lotta
                    If you are still looking for a database program.
                    Checkout Treepad which has a free and a pro version.
                    www.treepad.com

                    I have Access and Filemaker but have converted all my information to
                    TreepadPro version after using the free version for some time.

                    my kindest regards
                    Peter