Re: [NTO] need database program

  • Len
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
      Hi Lotta;

      Thanks. I'm surprised that someone hasn't designed a relatively light
      weight program to compile, sort and modify columnised data.

      I suggested that Eric consider improving NT's capabilities in this area.
      Possibly in NT v5?

      At 02:25 PM 6/26/01 +0200, you wrote:
      >Hello,
      >
      >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
      >
      >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
      >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
      >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
      >
      >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
      >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
      >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
      >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
      >be easily read.

    • melchior prisi
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
        Hi Lotta and all,

        Lotta wrote:
        > I'm looking for a small, simple database program.

        You might try this one:

        "DataKeeper"
        about 1770 KB; Freeware
        Platform: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000
        from
        http://www.svw-development.com/software.html
        http://www.svw-development.com/download.html

        I do not use it regularly but I think it has
        the features you are looking for.

        Regards,

        Melchior

        --
        http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/orp.htm
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001

          Alle 14.25 Tuesday 26/06/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

          >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based.

          I'm using MySQL: it's not very small (2 Mb just the manual), but it's from
          Sweden ;-)
          It works fine on my hybrid Intranet, using a Web interface (just some
          simple Perl).

          BTW, MySQL AB is looking for a seasoned Chief Financial Officer in
          Stockholm, if you're interested...

          Bye!

          Marco
        • future.com@vsnl.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
            try one at www.yrsoft.com
            may be this is what you are looking for

            At 02:25 PM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:

            >Hello,
            >
            >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
            >
            >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
            >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
            >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
            >
            >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
            >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
            >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
            >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
            >be easily read.
            >
            >I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
            >interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).
            >
            >Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
            >Free is preferred, but cheap will do.
            >
            >Thanks in advance,
            >Lotta

            >---
            >Incoming mail is virus free

          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
              Hi all,

              Long time no see, Bill. All well?
              Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior, actually is
              that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has the
              expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so I'm still
              looking and hoping.

              Cheers,
              Lotta
            • Stephen Riddle
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
                Hi Lotta,
                It's been a day or so since your first post, which I deleted since I
                thought all sorts of good databases would be coming out of the wood
                work.
                I downloaded a simple SQL database about a year ago to practice sql
                commands with.
                I got busy with other things, but the program seems to have everything
                most sql databases should have. If you do SQL here is its URI:
                http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL

                Cheers To YOU
                Stephen
              • elssner@crosswinds.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Lotta <loro@t...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior,
                  actually is
                  > that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has
                  the
                  > expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so
                  I'm still
                  > looking and hoping.

                  Hi Lotta,

                  as far as I understood your needs regarding a simple textbased
                  database program right, Paul Lutus' dbEdit seems indeed to be the
                  closest solution - at least among the programs I know.

                  I use it often, and I like it as a nice interface for managing flat
                  text-based datafiles - while being able to edit them anytime with any
                  texteditor too. Can easily port them to any other OS, and so on.

                  I didn't miss the sorting by click on the column header so far.

                  However, maybe you could persuade Paul to add this feature? ;-)

                  Regards
                  Stefan
                  --
                  Stefan Elssner
                  elssner@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 6, 2001
                    Hi Lotta,

                    Have you checked out

                    http://www.thornsoft.com/

                    they call it a clipboard extender.

                    But it has a collapsible/expandable tree view of which you can create
                    various categories with even more than several layers of sub
                    categories underneath if you so choose.

                    I create a general category that contains up to 3 or 4 more specific
                    sub categories underneath, all on the visual tree.

                    I am visually oriented and I find it very visual (I wondered if the
                    tree view might take the place of column tabs)

                    It has rather good search capability. can limit search to 1 of your
                    categories or search all categories or everything.

                    Its screen size is easily expandable/collapsible from very small to
                    mid size to full screen and back again.

                    Can view things larger or can set font to larger.

                    has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic formats
                    with it.

                    Option exists for it to start up with clipboard capture turned off
                    and can easily toggle capture on and off. (select and copy an item
                    captures it into its storage)

                    Though I unsure, it seems that its data/storage files are proprietary
                    (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                    It can be a visual finder tool for an organization challenged
                    individual like myself.

                    I like the visual view and that it can have significantly more sub
                    categories than say a NoteTab outline which is heasder and topic,
                    just 2 categories only.

                    Though I recently see with a Ntab outline ability exists to hyperlink
                    off to other files. So, perhaps I might tinker with the use of a
                    Ntab outline as an index with which to link to sub categories via
                    hyperlinked articles.

                    Alan.

                  • acummings@snowcrest.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
                      Hi, (correction)

                      > has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic
                      formats
                      > with it.

                      Can only do a screen capture which makes, saves .bmp Cannot view or
                      save other sorts of graphic files.

                      > (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                      Nope, I made a mistake. It's not a graphic storer/viewer. Can only
                      screen capture (print screen).

                      Alan.
                    • lungtroll@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20, 2001
                        Hi Lotta
                        If you are still looking for a database program.
                        Checkout Treepad which has a free and a pro version.
                        www.treepad.com

                        I have Access and Filemaker but have converted all my information to
                        TreepadPro version after using the free version for some time.

                        my kindest regards
                        Peter