need database program

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
      Hello,

      Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))

      I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
      but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
      what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html

      I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
      has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
      tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
      at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
      be easily read.

      I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
      interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).

      Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
      Free is preferred, but cheap will do.

      Thanks in advance,
      Lotta
    • Len
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
        Hi Lotta;

        Thanks. I'm surprised that someone hasn't designed a relatively light
        weight program to compile, sort and modify columnised data.

        I suggested that Eric consider improving NT's capabilities in this area.
        Possibly in NT v5?

        At 02:25 PM 6/26/01 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hello,
        >
        >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
        >
        >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
        >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
        >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
        >
        >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
        >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
        >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
        >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
        >be easily read.

      • melchior prisi
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
          Hi Lotta and all,

          Lotta wrote:
          > I'm looking for a small, simple database program.

          You might try this one:

          "DataKeeper"
          about 1770 KB; Freeware
          Platform: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000
          from
          http://www.svw-development.com/software.html
          http://www.svw-development.com/download.html

          I do not use it regularly but I think it has
          the features you are looking for.

          Regards,

          Melchior

          --
          http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/orp.htm
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001

            Alle 14.25 Tuesday 26/06/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

            >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based.

            I'm using MySQL: it's not very small (2 Mb just the manual), but it's from
            Sweden ;-)
            It works fine on my hybrid Intranet, using a Web interface (just some
            simple Perl).

            BTW, MySQL AB is looking for a seasoned Chief Financial Officer in
            Stockholm, if you're interested...

            Bye!

            Marco
          • future.com@vsnl.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
              try one at www.yrsoft.com
              may be this is what you are looking for

              At 02:25 PM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:

              >Hello,
              >
              >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
              >
              >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
              >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
              >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
              >
              >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
              >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
              >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
              >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
              >be easily read.
              >
              >I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
              >interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).
              >
              >Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
              >Free is preferred, but cheap will do.
              >
              >Thanks in advance,
              >Lotta

              >---
              >Incoming mail is virus free

            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
                Hi all,

                Long time no see, Bill. All well?
                Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior, actually is
                that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has the
                expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so I'm still
                looking and hoping.

                Cheers,
                Lotta
              • Stephen Riddle
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
                  Hi Lotta,
                  It's been a day or so since your first post, which I deleted since I
                  thought all sorts of good databases would be coming out of the wood
                  work.
                  I downloaded a simple SQL database about a year ago to practice sql
                  commands with.
                  I got busy with other things, but the program seems to have everything
                  most sql databases should have. If you do SQL here is its URI:
                  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL

                  Cheers To YOU
                  Stephen
                • elssner@crosswinds.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Lotta <loro@t...> wrote:
                    > Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior,
                    actually is
                    > that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has
                    the
                    > expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so
                    I'm still
                    > looking and hoping.

                    Hi Lotta,

                    as far as I understood your needs regarding a simple textbased
                    database program right, Paul Lutus' dbEdit seems indeed to be the
                    closest solution - at least among the programs I know.

                    I use it often, and I like it as a nice interface for managing flat
                    text-based datafiles - while being able to edit them anytime with any
                    texteditor too. Can easily port them to any other OS, and so on.

                    I didn't miss the sorting by click on the column header so far.

                    However, maybe you could persuade Paul to add this feature? ;-)

                    Regards
                    Stefan
                    --
                    Stefan Elssner
                    elssner@...
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 6, 2001
                      Hi Lotta,

                      Have you checked out

                      http://www.thornsoft.com/

                      they call it a clipboard extender.

                      But it has a collapsible/expandable tree view of which you can create
                      various categories with even more than several layers of sub
                      categories underneath if you so choose.

                      I create a general category that contains up to 3 or 4 more specific
                      sub categories underneath, all on the visual tree.

                      I am visually oriented and I find it very visual (I wondered if the
                      tree view might take the place of column tabs)

                      It has rather good search capability. can limit search to 1 of your
                      categories or search all categories or everything.

                      Its screen size is easily expandable/collapsible from very small to
                      mid size to full screen and back again.

                      Can view things larger or can set font to larger.

                      has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic formats
                      with it.

                      Option exists for it to start up with clipboard capture turned off
                      and can easily toggle capture on and off. (select and copy an item
                      captures it into its storage)

                      Though I unsure, it seems that its data/storage files are proprietary
                      (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                      It can be a visual finder tool for an organization challenged
                      individual like myself.

                      I like the visual view and that it can have significantly more sub
                      categories than say a NoteTab outline which is heasder and topic,
                      just 2 categories only.

                      Though I recently see with a Ntab outline ability exists to hyperlink
                      off to other files. So, perhaps I might tinker with the use of a
                      Ntab outline as an index with which to link to sub categories via
                      hyperlinked articles.

                      Alan.

                    • acummings@snowcrest.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
                        Hi, (correction)

                        > has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic
                        formats
                        > with it.

                        Can only do a screen capture which makes, saves .bmp Cannot view or
                        save other sorts of graphic files.

                        > (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                        Nope, I made a mistake. It's not a graphic storer/viewer. Can only
                        screen capture (print screen).

                        Alan.
                      • lungtroll@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 20, 2001
                          Hi Lotta
                          If you are still looking for a database program.
                          Checkout Treepad which has a free and a pro version.
                          www.treepad.com

                          I have Access and Filemaker but have converted all my information to
                          TreepadPro version after using the free version for some time.

                          my kindest regards
                          Peter