Re: [NTO] Russian/ Cyrillic support

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2001
      Hi Adrian,

      I am not familiar with Arial Cryllic. Try using NoteTab Light an see if that makes a difference or a fixed width font in Pro if the Cyrillic is not one.

      >I have installed Russian for my fiancee living here (UK) with me now, and
      >it displays web pages and the like. However, even when I use Arial Cyrillic
      >as a font (see this in Note Tab for a document) the garbage of Roman text
      >continues to display.
      >
      >What has to be done so that typing in Cyrillic, using the clipboard, and
      >receiving emails keeps the language in the original. If Russians can have
      >both their alphabet and ours throughout their computer use, why can't we?
      >
      >Adrian Worsfold
      >
      >http://www.pluralist.co.uk

    • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 19, 2001
        Thank you for that on cyrillic Jody but I tried the facility regarding
        fonts and types and it doesn't recreate meaningful script from the blurb.

        Adrian Worsfold

        http://www.pluralist.co.uk

      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
          Hello,

          Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))

          I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
          but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
          what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html

          I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
          has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
          tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
          at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
          be easily read.

          I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
          interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).

          Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
          Free is preferred, but cheap will do.

          Thanks in advance,
          Lotta
        • Len
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
            Hi Lotta;

            Thanks. I'm surprised that someone hasn't designed a relatively light
            weight program to compile, sort and modify columnised data.

            I suggested that Eric consider improving NT's capabilities in this area.
            Possibly in NT v5?

            At 02:25 PM 6/26/01 +0200, you wrote:
            >Hello,
            >
            >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
            >
            >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
            >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
            >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
            >
            >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
            >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
            >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
            >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
            >be easily read.

          • melchior prisi
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
              Hi Lotta and all,

              Lotta wrote:
              > I'm looking for a small, simple database program.

              You might try this one:

              "DataKeeper"
              about 1770 KB; Freeware
              Platform: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000
              from
              http://www.svw-development.com/software.html
              http://www.svw-development.com/download.html

              I do not use it regularly but I think it has
              the features you are looking for.

              Regards,

              Melchior

              --
              http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/orp.htm
            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001

                Alle 14.25 Tuesday 26/06/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based.

                I'm using MySQL: it's not very small (2 Mb just the manual), but it's from
                Sweden ;-)
                It works fine on my hybrid Intranet, using a Web interface (just some
                simple Perl).

                BTW, MySQL AB is looking for a seasoned Chief Financial Officer in
                Stockholm, if you're interested...

                Bye!

                Marco
              • future.com@vsnl.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
                  try one at www.yrsoft.com
                  may be this is what you are looking for

                  At 02:25 PM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:

                  >Hello,
                  >
                  >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
                  >
                  >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
                  >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
                  >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
                  >
                  >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
                  >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
                  >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
                  >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
                  >be easily read.
                  >
                  >I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
                  >interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).
                  >
                  >Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
                  >Free is preferred, but cheap will do.
                  >
                  >Thanks in advance,
                  >Lotta

                  >---
                  >Incoming mail is virus free

                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
                    Hi all,

                    Long time no see, Bill. All well?
                    Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior, actually is
                    that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has the
                    expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so I'm still
                    looking and hoping.

                    Cheers,
                    Lotta
                  • Stephen Riddle
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
                      Hi Lotta,
                      It's been a day or so since your first post, which I deleted since I
                      thought all sorts of good databases would be coming out of the wood
                      work.
                      I downloaded a simple SQL database about a year ago to practice sql
                      commands with.
                      I got busy with other things, but the program seems to have everything
                      most sql databases should have. If you do SQL here is its URI:
                      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL

                      Cheers To YOU
                      Stephen
                    • elssner@crosswinds.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Lotta <loro@t...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior,
                        actually is
                        > that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has
                        the
                        > expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so
                        I'm still
                        > looking and hoping.

                        Hi Lotta,

                        as far as I understood your needs regarding a simple textbased
                        database program right, Paul Lutus' dbEdit seems indeed to be the
                        closest solution - at least among the programs I know.

                        I use it often, and I like it as a nice interface for managing flat
                        text-based datafiles - while being able to edit them anytime with any
                        texteditor too. Can easily port them to any other OS, and so on.

                        I didn't miss the sorting by click on the column header so far.

                        However, maybe you could persuade Paul to add this feature? ;-)

                        Regards
                        Stefan
                        --
                        Stefan Elssner
                        elssner@...
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 6, 2001
                          Hi Lotta,

                          Have you checked out

                          http://www.thornsoft.com/

                          they call it a clipboard extender.

                          But it has a collapsible/expandable tree view of which you can create
                          various categories with even more than several layers of sub
                          categories underneath if you so choose.

                          I create a general category that contains up to 3 or 4 more specific
                          sub categories underneath, all on the visual tree.

                          I am visually oriented and I find it very visual (I wondered if the
                          tree view might take the place of column tabs)

                          It has rather good search capability. can limit search to 1 of your
                          categories or search all categories or everything.

                          Its screen size is easily expandable/collapsible from very small to
                          mid size to full screen and back again.

                          Can view things larger or can set font to larger.

                          has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic formats
                          with it.

                          Option exists for it to start up with clipboard capture turned off
                          and can easily toggle capture on and off. (select and copy an item
                          captures it into its storage)

                          Though I unsure, it seems that its data/storage files are proprietary
                          (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                          It can be a visual finder tool for an organization challenged
                          individual like myself.

                          I like the visual view and that it can have significantly more sub
                          categories than say a NoteTab outline which is heasder and topic,
                          just 2 categories only.

                          Though I recently see with a Ntab outline ability exists to hyperlink
                          off to other files. So, perhaps I might tinker with the use of a
                          Ntab outline as an index with which to link to sub categories via
                          hyperlinked articles.

                          Alan.

                        • acummings@snowcrest.net
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
                            Hi, (correction)

                            > has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic
                            formats
                            > with it.

                            Can only do a screen capture which makes, saves .bmp Cannot view or
                            save other sorts of graphic files.

                            > (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                            Nope, I made a mistake. It's not a graphic storer/viewer. Can only
                            screen capture (print screen).

                            Alan.
                          • lungtroll@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 20, 2001
                              Hi Lotta
                              If you are still looking for a database program.
                              Checkout Treepad which has a free and a pro version.
                              www.treepad.com

                              I have Access and Filemaker but have converted all my information to
                              TreepadPro version after using the free version for some time.

                              my kindest regards
                              Peter