Russian/ Cyrillic support

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 14, 2001
      I have installed Russian for my fiancee living here (UK) with me now, and
      it displays web pages and the like. However, even when I use Arial Cyrillic
      as a font (see this in Note Tab for a document) the garbage of Roman text
      continues to display.

      What has to be done so that typing in Cyrillic, using the clipboard, and
      receiving emails keeps the language in the original. If Russians can have
      both their alphabet and ours throughout their computer use, why can't we?

      Adrian Worsfold

      http://www.pluralist.co.uk

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2001
        Hi Adrian,

        I am not familiar with Arial Cryllic. Try using NoteTab Light an see if that makes a difference or a fixed width font in Pro if the Cyrillic is not one.

        >I have installed Russian for my fiancee living here (UK) with me now, and
        >it displays web pages and the like. However, even when I use Arial Cyrillic
        >as a font (see this in Note Tab for a document) the garbage of Roman text
        >continues to display.
        >
        >What has to be done so that typing in Cyrillic, using the clipboard, and
        >receiving emails keeps the language in the original. If Russians can have
        >both their alphabet and ours throughout their computer use, why can't we?
        >
        >Adrian Worsfold
        >
        >http://www.pluralist.co.uk

      • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 19, 2001
          Thank you for that on cyrillic Jody but I tried the facility regarding
          fonts and types and it doesn't recreate meaningful script from the blurb.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk

        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
            Hello,

            Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))

            I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
            but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
            what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html

            I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
            has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
            tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
            at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
            be easily read.

            I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
            interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).

            Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
            Free is preferred, but cheap will do.

            Thanks in advance,
            Lotta
          • Len
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
              Hi Lotta;

              Thanks. I'm surprised that someone hasn't designed a relatively light
              weight program to compile, sort and modify columnised data.

              I suggested that Eric consider improving NT's capabilities in this area.
              Possibly in NT v5?

              At 02:25 PM 6/26/01 +0200, you wrote:
              >Hello,
              >
              >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
              >
              >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
              >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
              >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
              >
              >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
              >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
              >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
              >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
              >be easily read.

            • melchior prisi
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
                Hi Lotta and all,

                Lotta wrote:
                > I'm looking for a small, simple database program.

                You might try this one:

                "DataKeeper"
                about 1770 KB; Freeware
                Platform: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000
                from
                http://www.svw-development.com/software.html
                http://www.svw-development.com/download.html

                I do not use it regularly but I think it has
                the features you are looking for.

                Regards,

                Melchior

                --
                http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/orp.htm
              • Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001

                  Alle 14.25 Tuesday 26/06/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                  >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based.

                  I'm using MySQL: it's not very small (2 Mb just the manual), but it's from
                  Sweden ;-)
                  It works fine on my hybrid Intranet, using a Web interface (just some
                  simple Perl).

                  BTW, MySQL AB is looking for a seasoned Chief Financial Officer in
                  Stockholm, if you're interested...

                  Bye!

                  Marco
                • future.com@vsnl.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 26, 2001
                    try one at www.yrsoft.com
                    may be this is what you are looking for

                    At 02:25 PM 6/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:

                    >Hello,
                    >
                    >Len demands action on NTO, so this is for you Len :)))
                    >
                    >I'm looking for a small, simple database program. Text based. I have Office
                    >but I want something slim. Paul Lutus (Archnophilia) has something near
                    >what I want, dbEdit: http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
                    >
                    >I want to be able to add any number of columns. dbEdit can do that, but it
                    >has a clumsy sort function. I would prefer just to click on the column's
                    >tab that I want to sort after. The other thing I want that it lacks is that
                    >at least 1 of the fields should be expandable so a little larger text can
                    >be easily read.
                    >
                    >I found another freeware that had that but it was bloated with an animated
                    >interface that really didn't work on my machine (without me getting seesick).
                    >
                    >Should anyone know something like this all tips would be much appreciated.
                    >Free is preferred, but cheap will do.
                    >
                    >Thanks in advance,
                    >Lotta

                    >---
                    >Incoming mail is virus free

                  • Lotta
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
                      Hi all,

                      Long time no see, Bill. All well?
                      Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior, actually is
                      that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has the
                      expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so I'm still
                      looking and hoping.

                      Cheers,
                      Lotta
                    • Stephen Riddle
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 28, 2001
                        Hi Lotta,
                        It's been a day or so since your first post, which I deleted since I
                        thought all sorts of good databases would be coming out of the wood
                        work.
                        I downloaded a simple SQL database about a year ago to practice sql
                        commands with.
                        I got busy with other things, but the program seems to have everything
                        most sql databases should have. If you do SQL here is its URI:
                        http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL

                        Cheers To YOU
                        Stephen
                      • elssner@crosswinds.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
                          --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Lotta <loro@t...> wrote:
                          > Thanks for your suggestions. The one you suggested Melchior,
                          actually is
                          > that other one I mentioned that doesn't work with my system. It has
                          the
                          > expandable field though. On line databases aren't what I want, so
                          I'm still
                          > looking and hoping.

                          Hi Lotta,

                          as far as I understood your needs regarding a simple textbased
                          database program right, Paul Lutus' dbEdit seems indeed to be the
                          closest solution - at least among the programs I know.

                          I use it often, and I like it as a nice interface for managing flat
                          text-based datafiles - while being able to edit them anytime with any
                          texteditor too. Can easily port them to any other OS, and so on.

                          I didn't miss the sorting by click on the column header so far.

                          However, maybe you could persuade Paul to add this feature? ;-)

                          Regards
                          Stefan
                          --
                          Stefan Elssner
                          elssner@...
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 6, 2001
                            Hi Lotta,

                            Have you checked out

                            http://www.thornsoft.com/

                            they call it a clipboard extender.

                            But it has a collapsible/expandable tree view of which you can create
                            various categories with even more than several layers of sub
                            categories underneath if you so choose.

                            I create a general category that contains up to 3 or 4 more specific
                            sub categories underneath, all on the visual tree.

                            I am visually oriented and I find it very visual (I wondered if the
                            tree view might take the place of column tabs)

                            It has rather good search capability. can limit search to 1 of your
                            categories or search all categories or everything.

                            Its screen size is easily expandable/collapsible from very small to
                            mid size to full screen and back again.

                            Can view things larger or can set font to larger.

                            has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic formats
                            with it.

                            Option exists for it to start up with clipboard capture turned off
                            and can easily toggle capture on and off. (select and copy an item
                            captures it into its storage)

                            Though I unsure, it seems that its data/storage files are proprietary
                            (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                            It can be a visual finder tool for an organization challenged
                            individual like myself.

                            I like the visual view and that it can have significantly more sub
                            categories than say a NoteTab outline which is heasder and topic,
                            just 2 categories only.

                            Though I recently see with a Ntab outline ability exists to hyperlink
                            off to other files. So, perhaps I might tinker with the use of a
                            Ntab outline as an index with which to link to sub categories via
                            hyperlinked articles.

                            Alan.

                          • acummings@snowcrest.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
                              Hi, (correction)

                              > has screen capture. can store/view some the popular graphic
                              formats
                              > with it.

                              Can only do a screen capture which makes, saves .bmp Cannot view or
                              save other sorts of graphic files.

                              > (exception being graphics which are stored in their native format).

                              Nope, I made a mistake. It's not a graphic storer/viewer. Can only
                              screen capture (print screen).

                              Alan.
                            • lungtroll@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 20, 2001
                                Hi Lotta
                                If you are still looking for a database program.
                                Checkout Treepad which has a free and a pro version.
                                www.treepad.com

                                I have Access and Filemaker but have converted all my information to
                                TreepadPro version after using the free version for some time.

                                my kindest regards
                                Peter