Re: [NTO] Using NTPro to draft email

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15, 2001
      Hi Jim

      I'm also interested in using NTPro as an email manager. I even bought
      MailBag to see if it would help, but I am still using MS Outlook Express 5.0
      because I don't see how to receive mail directly into NTPro or MailBag.
      MailBag is installed, but I've never seen a way to use it.

      My main reason for wanting to get away from OE5 is so I can have a
      non-proprietary formatted address book.

      Can you give me a step-by-step for all this or point me to the right parts
      of the Help system.

      Thanks for the help,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 10 , May 16, 2001
        Ray,

        At 08:12 PM 5/15/01, you wrote:

        >I'm also interested in using NTPro as an email manager. I even bought
        >MailBag to see if it would help, but I am still using MS Outlook Express 5.0
        >because I don't see how to receive mail directly into NTPro or MailBag.
        >MailBag is installed, but I've never seen a way to use it.

        MailBag Assistant is an e-mail "organizer" which works "with" your e-mail
        manager.
        It doesn't replace it.

        To my knowledge there is no way to directly receive mail in NoteTab.
        You can only compose and send e-mail via MAPI in the same manner that other
        Windows applications do.

        >My main reason for wanting to get away from OE5 is so I can have a
        >non-proprietary formatted address book.

        I left it to get away from MS directed e-mail viruses and worms. I use
        Eudora and love it compared to OE5.

        In it you can have your own Address book (a plain text .txt file) which you
        can edit in NoteTab.

        BTW in OE you can export your Address book to a comma delimited text file
        which you can edit in NoteTab and import back into OE.

        With a little massaging in NoteTab with find/replace you can also import it
        into Eudora as a space delimited file.
        You do have to replace spaces between first and last names etc. with dashes
        or underscores, else Eudora will make a real mess of it on the import.
        In Eudora you can create your own address book and copy all addresses from
        the Eudora Addressbook to yours and then delete the Eudora one. Yours will
        then be the .txt file mentioned above.

        Hope this helps

        Jim
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 10 , May 17, 2001

          A friend of mine has a strange problem with Win2k and TCP/IP: Explorer
          generates a conflict somewhere between 2 UDP ports and his machine can't
          see the local network (or something like).
          He call the Microsoft Customer Service and they told him he is not an
          "end-user" because he is on a LAN, so he must pay at least 200$ to have an
          answer (hint: don't tell Microsoft you're on a LAN!) or 1,600$ + taxes to
          have a technician on site.
          So, if somebody has some knowledge about UDP and TCP/IP on Win2k, can mail
          him directly at federico.stickel@...

          Thanks a lot in advance!

          Marco Bernardini

          PS: the new Microsoft Operating System will be a bundle of:
          CE for palmars
          ME for PCs
          NT for servers
          It will be as light as its name: CE-ME-NT
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 10 , May 17, 2001
            Ciao Marco!

            >So, if somebody has some knowledge about UDP and TCP/IP on Win2k,

            None whatsoever!

            But the list is so slow that I thought a little spam would be an
            improvement. And how's the weather in Italy? Maybe I'll spam your friend
            too. Is he into weather? You shouldn't give me email addresses... ;)

            My regards to the mayor.

            Bye!
            Lotta
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 10 , May 17, 2001
              Ciao Marco!

              > >So, if somebody has some knowledge about UDP and TCP/IP on Win2k,
              >
              >None whatsoever!

              A little.....

              Look at the freebies here and see if they help

              http://cnet.search.com/search?q=udp&ref=wf

              If not then perhaps Saturdayor Sunday I will have some time to try and help
              your friend.

              Regards

              Jim (Win98/Win2K networked)
            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 10 , May 18, 2001

                Alle 06.47 Friday 18/05/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                >But the list is so slow that I thought a little spam would be an
                >improvement. And how's the weather in Italy?

                Don't know: after last elections I refuse to turn on the TV, to avoid to
                see *you-know-the-name* ;-)))

                > Maybe I'll spam your friend

                He will be happy to receive mail from a nice Swedish girl!

                >My regards to the mayor.

                He was in the "Bald Dwarf Party", but he don't get enough votes to be
                elected....

                Alle 23.02 Thursday 17/05/2001 -0700, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
                messaggio:

                >Look at the freebies here and see if they help
                >
                >http://cnet.search.com/search?q=udp&ref=wf

                I forward this URL to my friend.

                >If not then perhaps Saturdayor Sunday I will have some time to try and help
                >your friend.

                Thanks a lot!

                Bye

                Marco
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 10 , May 18, 2001
                  Marco,

                  > >My regards to the mayor.

                  >He was in the "Bald Dwarf Party", but he don't get enough votes to be
                  >elected....

                  What? And here I thought all Italians were dark and handsome and wanted to
                  take a bath with me in Fontana di Trevi! I must unsubscribe from this list.
                  I'll unsubscribe from the Internet. This is a shock to me.

                  Lotta - disillusioned
                • Marcus
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 18, 2001
                    On 18.05.01 at 09:53 Lotta wrote:
                    >>He was in the "Bald Dwarf Party", but he don't get enough votes to be
                    >>elected....
                    >
                    >What? And here I thought all Italians were dark and handsome and
                    wanted to
                    >take a bath with me in Fontana di Trevi!...

                    Consider yourself Snowwhite. After some minor diversions from the
                    wicked step-mother maybe your prince will arrive in his Alfa and sweep
                    you off to the Fontana ;-)

                    We had a political party here called "Invalid", but the dwarves is the
                    best name I've heard yet. Monty Python would be proud.

                    Marcus