OEM Win2k

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2001
      Hello All

      I know of a damaged Pentium III PC for sale at a very low price. I'm
      considering buying it just to get the Win2000 operating system CD plus
      Service Pack 1. I'll scrap the computer and load the operating system onto
      my computer (also a Pentium III).

      My questions:

      1.) Is this legal? That is, is it ok to continue to use an Original
      Equipment Manufacturer's version of Windows 2000 on a computer other than
      the one the system came on (assuming the original PC is no longer in
      service)?

      2.) The damaged (and soon to be scrapped PC) is a Dell and my machine is a
      Gateway. Are OEM versions of the operating system manufacturer-specific? I
      wouldn't mind if the initial splash screen shows the Dell Logo. I'm
      concerned about operational compatibility of the OS with the rest of my
      hardware and software, especially Office Professional.

      Thanks for the insight.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Paul M. King
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2001
        At 06:23 PM 5/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hello All
        >
        >I know of a damaged Pentium III PC for sale at a very low price. I'm
        >considering buying it just to get the Win2000 operating system CD plus
        >Service Pack 1. I'll scrap the computer and load the operating system onto
        >my computer (also a Pentium III).
        >
        >My questions:
        Ray, I would go slow on this one until you have all the facts.
        I looked into a similar deal in the Compaq line and rejected
        it when it became apparent that interchangeability of software
        was not possible.

        >1.) Is this legal? That is, is it ok to continue to use an Original
        >Equipment Manufacturer's version of Windows 2000 on a computer other than
        >the one the system came on (assuming the original PC is no longer in
        >service)?

        My feeling, if not conviction, is that legality of software ownership
        goes with ownership of the hardware/software package. Policies
        of the manufacturer can, however, make this difficult if not
        impossible.

        >2.) The damaged (and soon to be scrapped PC) is a Dell and my machine is a
        >Gateway. Are OEM versions of the operating system manufacturer-specific? I
        >wouldn't mind if the initial splash screen shows the Dell Logo. I'm
        >concerned about operational compatibility of the OS with the rest of my
        >hardware and software, especially Office Professional.

        I can't speak for Dell, but I am in a similar situation with Compaq.
        Their restore disks, which have WIN98 on them, are specifically
        tied to a designated Compaq model and work on no other. For that
        reason, I will never buy another Compaq. (They are are also put
        together in a way which limits expansion.)

        This has nothing to do with performace. The Compaq has worked
        well for me for three years and has been extremely stable with a
        little help from the manuals and self-help websites. I have a model
        loaded with WIN98SE, using the Pentium II chip. It runs at 300mhz
        and has a 8.5gig HD and 64megs of RAM.

        >Thanks for the insight.
        >
        >Ray Shapp
        >Watchung, NJ

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2001
          Ray, Paul, et al

          At 03:23 PM 5/9/01, you wrote:
          >Hello All
          >
          >I know of a damaged Pentium III PC for sale at a very low price. I'm
          >considering buying it just to get the Win2000 operating system CD plus
          >Service Pack 1. I'll scrap the computer and load the operating system onto
          >my computer (also a Pentium III).

          If it's cheap enough, I'd do it.

          >My questions:
          >
          >1.) Is this legal? That is, is it ok to continue to use an Original
          >Equipment Manufacturer's version of Windows 2000 on a computer other than
          >the one the system came on (assuming the original PC is no longer in
          >service)?

          Possesion is 9/10ths of the law and legality here is clear if you purchase
          the computer/software from a legal source and get a bill of sale.

          The real issue is whether or not you can register it with Microsoft as your
          software.

          My advise is don't try to. If the previous owner registered it and you try
          to, you will open a pandora's box you will never get closed (It would be
          simpler to buy Win2K outright).

          However, registering it doesn't really buy you that much anymore.

          You can go to

          http://microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/default.asp

          and download updates and service packs for free, registered or not.

          >2.) The damaged (and soon to be scrapped PC) is a Dell and my machine is a
          >Gateway. Are OEM versions of the operating system manufacturer-specific? I
          >wouldn't mind if the initial splash screen shows the Dell Logo. I'm
          >concerned about operational compatibility of the OS with the rest of my
          >hardware and software, especially Office Professional.

          There is an OEM version of Win2K pro which simply means that it is a boot
          disk and can be loaded on a blank hard drive (as opposed to an upgrade
          version which requires an existing version to be on the hard drive (can be
          fooled) and is not a boot disk).

          Dell has an **OEM System Disk** specifically for Dell computers as does
          every other manufacturer. Somewhere on this disk is a non machine specific
          copy of Win2K which may have (probably) been stripped down to only include
          the drivers necessary for that computer and it's peripherals. Also on that
          disk will be Dell unique software that may/may not work correctly on
          another computer.

          Probably the worst cases of this is computers like e-machine, Compaq, and
          Packard Bell computers which are not really made to be upgraded/expanded
          with other than their own boards/peripherals.

          One major problem is that the Install software on these CD's often looks at
          the motherboard/BIOS and if it isn't a Compaq, the install program won't
          let you load it.(on a Gateway etc.)

          I'm not positive about Dell, but I think you can use both Dell and Gateway
          Disks on just about any computer since they offer so many options on OEM
          boards/peripherals.

          Odds are the Dell software will load on the Gateway and you can just
          uninstall/delete any of the Dell stuff that you don't want/need.

          In most cases if you know what you are looking for, you can extract just
          the Win2K info and use it although you may have to go to your manufacture's
          website and download all/many of your drivers.

          Also, if the Gateway and/or peripherals are more than a couple of years old
          (a Win98 machine as opposed to a Win2K machine), you will need to download
          many of the Win2K drivers from the respective manufacturers for your modem,
          video bd, printer, etc. IF THE MANUFACTURER WROTE THEM.

          In many cases they didn't (My Okidata Laserjet printer) and to run Win2K
          you have to buy new Win2K compatible hardware with a Win2K driver.

          In some cases (my Diamond Video Card and HP Laserjet printer) they wrote a
          generic Win2K driver but didn't upgrade the "goodie" software (InControl
          Tools 99).

          I would highly recommend checking this out BEFORE you load Win2K on any
          machine. (BTDT).

          Personally I really like Win2K and have it on my laptop (a newer Win2K
          machine) but unfortunately, I haven't gotten enough mileage on my Win98
          machine to warrant replacing/upgrading it just to be able to run Win2K.

          Soon though!!

          Hope it helps.

          If you want more specific info, please feel free to send a private e-mail.

          Jim
        • DA
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2001
            Hi Ray,

            > Gateway. Are OEM versions of the operating system manufacturer-specific?

            I wouldn't do it. I just got through with problems with IBM OEM Win2k
            and when you install, it is installing all the IBM drivers and doesn't
            give you the option to set up the drive partitions like you would be
            able to do if you bought your own copy of Win2k. Also, when repairs are
            necessary you can't follow the usual Win2k recovery procedures because
            you don't have a 'normal' CD to recover from. Yeah, you buy a license
            from Microsoft but you don't get full functionality!

            DA
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2001
              DA, Jim, Paul

              Thanks loads for your help. This whole idea looks too risky to try. You
              may have saved me a lot of grief!

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ