[NTO] Re: AppBar

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hi Ray,

      >> Allow me to affirm Jody's mention of AppBar...

      > So I guess this isn't it?
      > http://www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Util/jgappbar.htm

      Probably not, it is hard to find now because there is a shareware
      product with the same name. Carl, when you tried a shortcut you
      must have goofed. I have never started it any other way than the
      Startup Folder. It's a monster, hope you have the disk space for
      it. <g>

      http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

      Happy Camper,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 15:15

      Clean-Funnies
      mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hi Carl,

        >The only drawback is that it won't start via Windows startup
        >folder;

        Try this, make sure you hold your mouth right this time ;->

        H=Make Shortcut
        ; one long line
        ^!MakeShortcut ^?[(H=14)&Folder==AppFolder|Desktop|DesktopDir|_StartMenu|Programs|Startup|SendTo|Favorites|Recent|CommonDesktopDir|CommonStartMenu|CommonPrograms|CommonStartup|CommonFavorites] "^?[Path to Application, the &target=^&]" "^?[&Arguments=_None^=|]" "^?[Shortcut &name=AppBar]" ^?[&Window state=_Normal|Maximized|Minimized]

        Happy Camper,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 15:15

        Clean-Funnies
        mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe
      • Raymond Fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
          Hi Carl,

          >Nope... different critter; if you want the install zip file, let me
          >know by private e-mail cswann@... and I'll send it to
          >you (less than 50kb).

          Thanks for the offer! Got it here, thanks Jody.
          >http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

          Ray
        • Carl Swann
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
            Lloyd wrote:

            > Could you please send me a copy of the Application Bar.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.

            Jody has a download link for it:

            http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip

            > This is the third time I tried to send to your address on the message, so I
            > will also send it to the list.

            The list chopped off part of my address, which is
            cswann@... (note *2* N's in swann)

            oOOo-(_)-oOOo
          • Carl Swann
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
              Jody wrote:

              > AppBar...
              >
              >Carl, when you tried a shortcut you
              > must have goofed.

              Must have; I made a shortcut for the Startup folder and it works fine.
              Thanks! Hallelujah!

              Thanks for posting your download link:

              > http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

              oOOo-(_)-oOOo
            • Lloyd
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                Carl,

                Got it now. Thanks.

                Lloyd
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                  Hi Ray,

                  >Thanks for the offer! Got it here, thanks Jody.
                  >>http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                  You're welcome.

                  It is basically a plain Jane app, but that is the way I like it.
                  It is a bar sort of like the Windows Taskbar, but with no icons.
                  It looks and acts like a regular menu bar in a program. You add
                  main menus of programs to launch and then below the main menu the
                  programs in the menu for each. So you might have menus called:
                  Applications, Bible, Browsers, Fookes, Image, etc. I keep mine
                  on top and auto-hide. You can double click on existing items in
                  Edit... to edit that particular item. You can add &shortcuts,
                  but mine don't work in Windows 98 until after I give it the focus
                  by clicking on one of the main menus.

                  See ya in the funnies!
                  Jody Adair

                  Clean-Funnies
                  mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe

                  Proverbs 15:15
                  you missed a good joke!
                • Raymond Fitzgerald
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Hi Jody,

                    >It is a bar sort of like the Windows Taskbar, but with no icons.
                    >It looks and acts like a regular menu bar in a program. You add
                    >main menus of programs to launch and then below the main menu the
                    >programs in the menu for each. So you might have menus called:
                    >Applications, Bible, Browsers, Fookes, Image, etc. I keep mine

                    Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering, especially now that
                    we have the clipbar, what's the difference between AppBar and creating the
                    same thing for ourselves in NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm
                    going to add my "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
                    (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

                    Cheers,
                    Ray
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                      Hi Ray,

                      > Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering,
                      > especially now that we have the clipbar, what's the difference
                      > between AppBar and creating the same thing for ourselves in
                      > NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm going to add my
                      > "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
                      > (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

                      Well, for starters, the AppBar is always there, mine when I move
                      the mouse to the top to take it out of autohide (which takes a
                      bit to get use to that way because of it dropping down when you
                      don't want it to like when you want to click an "x" but we
                      learn...). On the other hand you have to be in NoteTab to use
                      Clipbar. Further more, you can pull down a menu a click on the
                      name. Icons to not always tell all - we have to memorize them.
                      Tooltips take a bit longer to read and scroll through.

                      On my 15" at 600x800 30 icons is about max before wrap with no
                      keyboard shortcuts. The Clipbar is great, and for launching
                      NoteTab stuff quickly, yes, add an icon for it there. At the same
                      setup above one can get about 20 main menu items across the bar
                      in AppBar depending on what you name them. Each menu can hold,
                      oh, perhaps 30 items, again with shortcuts if you wish. So,
                      using my calculator in my NoteBack Library whilst I am here in
                      Eudora it says that 20*30 = 600. (grin - I love my toys) So, you
                      can have about 600 shortcuts on one tiny tucked away app that
                      takes a little bit more of space as 30 icons for your Clipbar.

                      Bye for now,
                      Jody Adair
                      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
                    • Julie G
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                        At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:

                        >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                        Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-). Not too bad to set up when I
                        go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
                        the paths. I figure I'm about halfway done....... I've already deleted the
                        icons off of the Win98 QuickLaunch toolbar. What a way to spend the first
                        afternoon my kids have been back in school for a week <G>.

                        Maybe I won't go 'nomail' right away on this list <G>.

                        Julie in MD
                      • Lotta
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                          Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                          PBrowse
                          If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse, that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry to say, sizes, under the pics. It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

                          Lotta
                        • Raymond Fitzgerald
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                            Hi Lotta,

                            >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                            This is from Jody:
                            http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                            >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse,
                            that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder
                            containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs
                            in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry
                            to say, sizes, under the pics.

                            Now that you've got NoteTab, it's time to wean you from some of the others!
                            ;-) Go to the built-in Utilities clip library and run the "Images to HTML"
                            clip. Does everything you described plus image sizes. And of course being a
                            clip, you can modify it to suit your own requirements. Eric's actually got
                            two programs that also do this--the older freeware HTML Imager and the brand
                            new Album Express!

                            Let us know how ya like it!

                            Cheers,
                            Ray
                          • Carl Swann
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                              Julie G wrote:

                              > At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:
                              >
                              > >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)
                              >
                              > Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-).

                              Glad you like it!

                              > Not too bad to set up when I
                              > go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
                              > the paths.

                              An easier way is to get CopyPath, a freeware utility that adds "Copy
                              Path" to your right-click menu; when you right click a file, it copies
                              the full path of that file to the Clipboard. Once CopyPath is
                              installed, you can locate the program file of each program you want to
                              add to AppBar (either via Explorer or the Browse button in the AppBar
                              config) and then right click it to choose CopyPath. Then go back to
                              the AppBar config and paste it in the window. Voila - the full path
                              for AppBar to read! CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the
                              download link:

                              http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                              oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                Hi Lotta,

                                >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                                http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                                >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware,
                                >PBrowse,

                                Have you tried Eric's HTML Imager v1.2a - freeware:

                                http://www.fookes.com/
                                http://www.fookes.com/software
                                http://www.fookes.com/software/html-img.htm
                                http://209.238.49.160/software/htmimg32.zip (209kb)

                                Or the Shareware version, Album Express 2.0:

                                http://www.fookes.com/album/index.html

                                >It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have
                                >when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

                                Sure, mailto:kjb1611@... or just upload it somewhere. tanX!

                                Two buttons shouldn't be hard to figure out even for this ignernt
                                hillbilly. ;)

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                  Hi Carl & Julie,

                                  > CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the download link:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                                  That's another goodie I use all the time, seems about daily. I
                                  almost forget it is not Windows. :)

                                  It will copy the paths of a whole directory too if you want or
                                  just some selected files.

                                  Here is the actual site, but it is in German. I did not see an
                                  English button:

                                  http://www.fullaccess.de/

                                  Julie,

                                  You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                                  (browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                                  opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                                  switch to another drive.

                                  1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                                  2. Choose Edit menu ...
                                  3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                                  click to edit menu)
                                  4. Click on New App
                                  5. Click on Find.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                    At 05:43 PM 02/01/2000 , Jody wrote:

                                    > > CopyPath
                                    > >
                                    > > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                                    >You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                                    >(browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                                    >opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                                    >switch to another drive.
                                    >
                                    >1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                                    >2. Choose Edit menu ...
                                    >3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                                    > click to edit menu)
                                    >4. Click on New App
                                    >5. Click on Find.

                                    Thanks Jody... Since Windows so kindly puts everything in the Programs menu
                                    upon installation, I always group the apps to my liking (although I have
                                    clips to most everything I use all the time!). Browsing to the executable
                                    seemed more tedious then alt-enter'ing on the shortcut in the Program menu.
                                    I found that by adding programs from the properties in the Programs...
                                    folder, the path is already highlighted, I can copy and paste the path,
                                    and then the file name, and all the programs are all ready grouped the way
                                    I like 'em, so it's minimal fuss to organize (for me at least). CopyPath
                                    was very helpful for the smaller programs that weren't in the Programs...
                                    folder. Had a hard time trying to figure out what the readme file was
                                    saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                                    put them in their own file menu.

                                    Julie
                                  • Julie G
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                      At 08:18 PM 02/01/2000 , Julie G wrote:

                                      >saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                                      >put them in their own file menu.

                                      That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's I'm
                                      assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the clips I've
                                      created in NTP?

                                      Julie
                                    • Harvey R. Savage
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                        Hi Julie G,

                                        I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                                        files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                                        great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                                        associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                                        menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                                        that choice.

                                        hrs

                                        --
                                        ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                                        ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                          Hi Julie,

                                          > saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from
                                          > NoteTab and put them in their own file menu.
                                          >
                                          > That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's
                                          > I'm assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the
                                          > clips I've created in NTP?

                                          I have never made any NetCaptor Clips, unless you are talking
                                          about Clips in NoteTab you are trying to use on it. Then in the
                                          new beta you could add the shortcut to Notetab something like
                                          (from memory):

                                          C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /L=LibraryName:ClipName

                                          If you are talking about something in NetCaptor, perhaps you
                                          could rename the file with an .exe extension and the once you get
                                          it into NetCaptor rename it to what it needs to be.

                                          cya,
                                          jody

                                          Weather Reports:
                                          http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Milton.html
                                          Sojourners King James Bible Page
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                            At 11:30 PM 02/01/2000 , you wrote:

                                            >I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                                            >files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                                            >great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                                            >associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                                            >menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                                            >that choice.

                                            The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                                            night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                                            just fine now. ??

                                            Julie
                                          • Carl Swann
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                              Julie G wrote:

                                              > The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                                              > night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                                              > just fine now. ??

                                              I often find I do better after a good night's rest, too... ;-)

                                              Glad the program is working for you.

                                              oOOo-(_)-oOOo