Re: [NTO] Virus Etc.

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
      Phil

      You can find what now passes for DOS in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND or the equivalent
      folders on your computer. That's where you will find FDISK and all the
      other DOS utilities. You may want to set options in Explorer to display all
      hidden files as well. You can do that by opening Explorer, click on
      View|Folder Options then select the View tab. After doing that, you should
      be able to not only see system and hidden files (look at Attributes column),
      but you should also be able to copy them.

      I don't know whether ANY virus could alter your CMOS beyond what the BIOS
      allows. The manufacturer of your computer or its BIOS could tell you what
      is alterable and what are normal settings. Some CMOS menus allow you to
      "restore default". I'd try these options before the high mesa treatment!

      Good luck,

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
        Hi Phil,

        > Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from
        > downloads or disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus
        > problem but erasing everything.
        >
        > Will that cure the CMOS problem?

        See the post I sent you with the two links on it to CIH fixes.
        They gave the procedure on what to do to fix your computer. They
        also had free utilities to help you with it.

        Happy Off-Topic'n!

        mailto:NoteTab-OT-Subscribe@...
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
          Alle 08.55 17/04/2000 -0700, Phil Edmunds ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

          >Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from downloads or
          >disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus problem but erasing
          >everything.

          Remove your infected hard-disk.
          Borrow an old hard-disk big enough to rescue your data, mount it on your
          computer as primary disk and install Windows AND an anti-virus.
          Mount as "slave" the infected disk: you see it as D:\
          DON'T RUN PROGRAMS ON D:\ !!!!!

          Copy all your data (and only data, not programs!) from D:\ to C:\
          Make a low level format on D:\ (better to FDISK it, too)
          Swap hard-disks and reinstall Windows on your "cured" disk, install all
          your programs and copy data from D:\ to C:\
          Hard job, but you can save at least your data.

          HTH!

          Marco Bernardini
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 18, 2000
            Hi all!
            This is a real OT... but I guess somebody can be interested.
            A friend of mine, the artist Serenella Sossi, is seeking for inexpensive
            places to exhibit her works (paintings and sculptures).
            Hotels, spas, chambers of commerce, parish or municipal halls are fine.
            You can see a sample of her paintings at
            http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/sossi/
            http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/arte.wrl for the VRML gallery

            Let me know!

            Bye

            Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 19, 2000
              Hi Marco,

              > This is a real OT...

              The list is wide open for topics as long as they are kept clean. ;)

              > ...but I guess somebody can be interested. You can see a sample
              > of her paintings at
              >http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/sossi/
              >http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/arte.wrl for the VRML gallery

              See ya in the funnies!