Re: [NTO] no longer G rated and so on ad nau...

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2001
      Hi Emmett,
      The thing is I aggree with you but I also think that any time any one
      does not do exactly what one wants, it's a loss of freedom. Of course
      that's what being civilized is all about, it's not might makes right (at
      least not always). Not all people want good things. Most of us adults
      know that, so controls are a good thing. Even so, I'm sorry we have to
      have them and get upset when I see peer pressure in action because it is
      kind of mindless and purposeless.
      That may be personal. When I was younger I so wanted to "fit in". I
      never did, probably never will in the way I wanted to back then, though
      I do get a lot of acceptance and respect nowadays.
      I've looked at a lot of review policies, and dabney.com's is refreshing
      and straightforward. Yahoo.com's on the other hand goes on and on and
      boils down to something like:
      "We only allow stuff that no one has complained about."
      At least that's the way I understand it.
      Take care,
      Stephen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2001
        Hi Stephen and Emmett,

        >The thing is I aggree with you but I also think that any time any
        >one does not do exactly what one wants, it's a loss of freedom.

        Of course and the thing is we have never been free. To be free
        to do what one wants is anarchy.

        >Yahoo.com's on the other hand goes on and on and boils down to
        >something like: "We only allow stuff that no one has complained
        >about." At least that's the way I understand it.

        I believe that is about the way it is all done today. As long as
        nobody complains (mostly minority lobby groups) about it and it
        does not offend anybody, then it is OK regardless of what the law
        says. I think the majority of the world wants what is morally
        right. Of course that is a bit hard to define since what is
        right in one country might not be in another, but the basics are
        about the same.

        ...and so on... nite...