Re: [NTO] Search Yahoo Archive

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 15, 2001
      Thanks for your reply, Julie.

      How does one open each message in a new browser window? Is it enough to
      hold down the Shift key while clicking on the message's Subject line?

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 15, 2001
        Hi Ray,

        >Thanks for your reply, Julie.

        I'm sure she'd say your welcome. ;)

        >How does one open each message in a new browser window? Is it
        >enough to hold down the Shift key while clicking on the message's
        >Subject line?

        Yep, or give NetCaptor a try and then pay the $19.95 to remove
        the ads before the price goes up to $29.95. The best part about
        NetCaptor is its got tabs just like NoteTab. So, you hold down
        the shift key and click on a link and it opens in another tab
        (either next to the tab you are in or at the end of them
        depending on your settings). So, you can go down a list of
        messages clicking on the ones you want in a new tab then go to
        each tab by clicking on it like in NoteTab. It does get kind of
        sluggish if you do more than 6 or so links at the same time.

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 15, 2001
          Alice, Jody, Julie, thefrank

          My thanks to you all for help with viewing search results of Yahoo group
          archives. Holding down the shift key to see each message in a separate
          instance of the browser is a quite satisfactory solution.

          Related question: How can I search the archive for a particular word like
          "sun" that will not return messages just because those three letters appear
          somewhere within other words like "Sunday"?

          I tried using quotes but that didn't help.

          Follow-up question: Is there a FAQ or other area on Yahoo where search
          options or preferences or strategies are discussed. If so, where is it?

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 15, 2001
            Hi Ray,

            >Related question: How can I search the archive for a particular
            >word like "sun" that will not return messages just because those
            >three letters appear somewhere within other words like "Sunday"?

            I believe what you see is what you get. The only options you
            have is how mail is read: on the web, eMail, or digest. The only
            right you have is to sign on or off. <g> Well, you also have the
            right to remain silent, less you might incriminate yourself

            >Follow-up question: Is there a FAQ or other area on Yahoo where
            >search options or preferences or strategies are discussed. If
            >so, where is it?

            Not that I know of. If you just start saving all your messages,
            or at least get them in a digest format, then eventually you will
            have plenty of messages to search. You could use MailBag
            Assistant also to aide you in your searches. You have more
            search options in it that you would know what to do with. You
            could also use the Merge Data (export) into NoteTab's Outline
            format from MailBag Assistance also. Or, you could just use
            NoteTab's ^!AppendToFile command and make really big files of
            eMail to open in NoteTab and then search them.

            I know there are a couple of users that save all the messages
            from at least a couple groups and they may upload say a year back
            for you and others. Eric is thinking on making a freeware
            MailBag which would probably be idea just to have some of the
            basic features it has to read the NoteTab lists with.

            Try putting a message up on the Basic list for somebody that has
            all the back posts for a few of the groups you want. If they do
            not have the space on their ISP, YahooGroups has about 20MB for
            each list.

            The group name can be changed below to get to the various groups.

          • Julie
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 16, 2001
              At 08:45 PM 04/15/2001 -0500, Jody wrote:
              >Hi Ray,
              >
              > >Thanks for your reply, Julie.
              >
              >I'm sure she'd say your welcome. ;)

              You're welcome :-).

              In both Netscape and MSIE, you can also right click on a link, and get an
              "Open in New Window" option, although I do prefer Jody's advertisement
              myself ;-). NetCaptor also allows you to lock browser tabs so that so
              don't have to deal with the shift-click routine for opening new pages. I
              use it all the time for yahoogroup lists that I'm 'nomail' on because of
              the amout of mail the lists generate.

              And about that opening six or more pages, I'm trying to get my husband to
              try out cable or DSL and see how fast they open then!

              Julie