Re: [NTO] Virus Etc.

  • Phil Edmunds
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17 8:04 AM
      I have the three disks that Norton has you make, plus I have another one
      that a program called eSafe ( Virus Scanner ) had me make. Plus I have one
      that came with my computer. Only one of them has FDISK, SYS.Com, and
      FORMAT.EXE on it. ( That is Visible to me.)

      I know I am in for it on re-installing, but I will be the same way if I buy
      a new computer. It will have windows but that is about it.

      I live next to a mountain called MORMON MESA. It is flat topped with 800
      foot cliffs on nearly all sides. I, as a last resort, will take this up
      there and drop it off. Let the virus survive that!!!!

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17 8:55 AM
        Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from downloads or
        disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus problem but erasing
        everything.

        Will that cure the CMOS problem?

        If it won't, how can I repair that without being able to load a program?

        Thoughts?

        Phil E.
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17 11:51 AM
          Phil

          You can find what now passes for DOS in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND or the equivalent
          folders on your computer. That's where you will find FDISK and all the
          other DOS utilities. You may want to set options in Explorer to display all
          hidden files as well. You can do that by opening Explorer, click on
          View|Folder Options then select the View tab. After doing that, you should
          be able to not only see system and hidden files (look at Attributes column),
          but you should also be able to copy them.

          I don't know whether ANY virus could alter your CMOS beyond what the BIOS
          allows. The manufacturer of your computer or its BIOS could tell you what
          is alterable and what are normal settings. Some CMOS menus allow you to
          "restore default". I'd try these options before the high mesa treatment!

          Good luck,

          Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17 2:13 PM
            Hi Phil,

            > Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from
            > downloads or disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus
            > problem but erasing everything.
            >
            > Will that cure the CMOS problem?

            See the post I sent you with the two links on it to CIH fixes.
            They gave the procedure on what to do to fix your computer. They
            also had free utilities to help you with it.

            Happy Off-Topic'n!

            mailto:NoteTab-OT-Subscribe@...
          • Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17 3:56 PM
              Alle 08.55 17/04/2000 -0700, Phil Edmunds ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

              >Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from downloads or
              >disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus problem but erasing
              >everything.

              Remove your infected hard-disk.
              Borrow an old hard-disk big enough to rescue your data, mount it on your
              computer as primary disk and install Windows AND an anti-virus.
              Mount as "slave" the infected disk: you see it as D:\
              DON'T RUN PROGRAMS ON D:\ !!!!!

              Copy all your data (and only data, not programs!) from D:\ to C:\
              Make a low level format on D:\ (better to FDISK it, too)
              Swap hard-disks and reinstall Windows on your "cured" disk, install all
              your programs and copy data from D:\ to C:\
              Hard job, but you can save at least your data.

              HTH!

              Marco Bernardini
            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 18 1:17 AM
                Hi all!
                This is a real OT... but I guess somebody can be interested.
                A friend of mine, the artist Serenella Sossi, is seeking for inexpensive
                places to exhibit her works (paintings and sculptures).
                Hotels, spas, chambers of commerce, parish or municipal halls are fine.
                You can see a sample of her paintings at
                http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/sossi/
                http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/arte.wrl for the VRML gallery

                Let me know!

                Bye

                Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 19 6:30 PM
                  Hi Marco,

                  > This is a real OT...

                  The list is wide open for topics as long as they are kept clean. ;)

                  > ...but I guess somebody can be interested. You can see a sample
                  > of her paintings at
                  >http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/sossi/
                  >http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/arte.wrl for the VRML gallery

                  See ya in the funnies!