In case you haven't seen this...

  • Len
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2001
      I normally wouldn't clutter the list with something this far removed from computer related subjects but at present the traffic is low.

      The following is an actual question given on a University of
      Washington chemistry mid term. The answer by one student was so "profound"
      that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of
      course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

      Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic
      absorbs heat)?

      Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas
      cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some
      variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

      First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need
      to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they
      are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul
      gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

      As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different
      religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state
      that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.
      Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not
      belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to
      Hell.

      With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in
      Hell to increase exponentially.

      Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law
      states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the
      same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls
      are added.

      This gives two possibilities:

      1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
      enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until
      all Hell breaks loose.

      2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
      Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

      So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my
      Freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with
      you." , and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in
      having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am
      sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

      The student received the only "A" given.
    • thefrank
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2001
        clever.

        yet more empirical evidence that logic is what separates human beings
        from the human race...

        tf