Re: [NTO] IE 6

  • Dr. Paul Harder
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2001
      On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:15:33 -0000, "thefrank" <thefrank@...>
      wrote:

      > An article in CNET to imply IE 6 will not include Java and JavScript
      > support.
      >
      > http://one.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin1/flo?y=eBvf0BFlVD0h0sKa0AM

      If Microsoft does this, they're cutting their own throats, all because
      they got their drawers in a twist over a relatively minor disagreement
      with Sun -- which could have been settled amicably with little effort.
      Every day in every way, Microsoft proves over and over again that they
      really do want to completely own your computing and communicating
      experience. They don't mind a bit if somebody dredges up the "monopoly"
      word, because they've proved that they can easily tie up any court
      action until the reality of life in Internet time has completely passed
      by any decisions that a court might render.

      But if they try to keep JavaScript out of IE, they'll be in deep
      trouble. Many web programmers (and I am one of them) refuse to use
      VBscript for the simple reason that it runs only on IE and no other
      browser (except those, like NeoPlanet, that are built on top of the IE
      engine). Furthermore, IE runs on Windows machine -- I'm not sure, but I
      think there may be a Macintosh version. But I strongly doubt IE runs on
      Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, or any of the other UNIX variants.
      I categorically refuse to program into my websites any technology that
      tells visitors, "Sorry, you're not welcome here." Imagine running an
      e-commerce site that tests to see what browser and operating system the
      customer is using and, finding that it's not IE on Windows, tells the
      customer, "Sorry, we don't want your money. Go spend it somewhere
      else".

      Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
      Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?

      Paul

      Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2001
        Paul wrote:
        <snipped muchly>
        and a big ole me too on all that you said!

        > engine). Furthermore, IE runs on Windows machine -- I'm not sure, but I
        > think there may be a Macintosh version.

        Yup, there is a Mac version, I believe that IE on Mac is just as prevalant as
        IE on Windows.

        > I categorically refuse to program into my websites any technology that
        > tells visitors, "Sorry, you're not welcome here." Imagine running an
        > e-commerce site that tests to see what browser and operating system the
        > customer is using and, finding that it's not IE on Windows, tells the
        > customer, "Sorry, we don't want your money. Go spend it somewhere
        > else".

        Exactly! All this does is make it that much harder for website designers,
        having to program in so much stuff to make sure it runs on all platforms...I'm
        going a bit bald, checking sites in IE, NN4, NN6, Opera and Lynx...

        > Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
        > Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?

        I would love to see a real news story, too, so far all I've seen is rumors.

        alice ttlg

        http://www.ditb.net/basement/
        Dureena: My people are taught to avoid crossroads, also beaches, cliffs, pits,
        caverns...and wells./ /Max: Where do you go on vacation? Another part of the
        room? -- Crusade
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
          Good morning,

          Have you seen this?
          http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20010411/tc/brf_yahoo_porn_3.html

          And the times they are achanging-
          Lotta
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001

            Alle 10.07 Friday 13/04/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

            >And the times they are achanging-

            Gosh!
            I must start to draw dressed men instead of my undressed girls .... hehehehe!

            Look this one:

            Bye!

            Marco Bernardini
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
              Some good news:

              From Computerworld:

              Yahoo to remove adult-related products from Web sites

              Inc. said it
              would no longer provide adult-related products on its Web sites. The
              online portal also said it wouldn't enter into any new contracts for
              banner advertisements for adult-related materials.

              http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV47_STO59583_NL
              Tam%2C00.html

              On 13 Apr 2001, at 10:07, Lotta wrote:

              > Good morning,
              >
              > Have you seen this?
              > http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20010411/tc/brf_yahoo_porn_3.html
              >
              > And the times they are achanging-
              > Lotta

              Larry Hamilton, Jr.
              lm_hamilton@...
              http://notlimah.tripod.com/
              http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/

            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
                The article is at:
                http://www.internetworld.com/dotnet/03.15.01dotnetframework5.jsp

                alice ttlg wrote:

                > > I categorically refuse to program into my websites any technology that
                > > tells visitors, "Sorry, you're not welcome here." Imagine running an
                > > e-commerce site that tests to see what browser and operating system the
                > > customer is using and, finding that it's not IE on Windows, tells the
                > > customer, "Sorry, we don't want your money. Go spend it somewhere
                > > else".

                But they exist nevertheless. Of course they don't get MY money!

                > Exactly! All this does is make it that much harder for website designers,
                > having to program in so much stuff to make sure it runs on all platforms...I'm
                > going a bit bald, checking sites in IE, NN4, NN6, Opera and Lynx...
                >
                > > Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
                > > Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?
                >
                > I would love to see a real news story, too, so far all I've seen is rumors.
                >
                > alice ttlg

              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001

                  and I said:
                  > > Exactly! All this does is make it that much harder for website designers,
                  > > having to program in so much stuff to make sure it runs on all
                  platforms...I'm
                  > > going a bit bald, checking sites in IE, NN4, NN6, Opera and Lynx...

                  Paul again:
                  > > > Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
                  > > > Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?

                  and me again:
                  > > I would love to see a real news story, too, so far all I've seen is
                  rumors.

                  (just for clarity's sake) :-)

                  and thanks for the news link!

                  alice ttlg

                  http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                  The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy. -- Helen Hayes
                  (at 73)
                • Dr. Paul Harder
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
                    On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:38:39 -0700, Stephen <stephen@...>
                    wrote:

                    > The article is at:
                    > http://www.internetworld.com/dotnet/03.15.01dotnetframework5.jsp

                    Well, that article does discuss some of Microsoft's plans with respect
                    to Java, but it doesn't mention JavaScript -- which is an entirely
                    different language that actually has little relationship or resemblance
                    to Java. I'm aware that Microsoft is trying to divorce itself from Java
                    (or in playground parlance, they want to "take their ball and go home").
                    But I have yet to see any credible evidence that they're also ditching
                    JavaScript. I still believe that such a move would cut their own
                    throats.

                    PH

                    Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
                  • Len
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
                      Hi Marco;

                      Having had a long interest in undressed ladies (artistic of course) I checked the referenced web site and received a cannot open error.

                      ????
                      Regards, Len

                      At 07:56 PM 4/13/01 +0200, you wrote:
                      >*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
                      >
                      >Alle 10.07 Friday 13/04/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:
                      >
                      >>And the times they are achanging-
                      >
                      >Gosh!
                      >I must start to draw dressed men instead of my undressed girls .... hehehehe!
                      >
                      >Look this one:
                      >
                      >Bye!
                      >
                      >Marco Bernardini

                    • Marco Bernardini
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001

                        Alle 12.57 Friday 13/04/2001 -0700, Len ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                        >Having had a long interest in undressed ladies (artistic of course) I
                        >checked the referenced web site and received a cannot open error.

                        Maybe Yahoo is cutting lines along with workers ;-)
                        I leave my files area open to public, so it seems very strange.
                        In any case I'll mail you privately the image.

                        Bye!

                        Marco Bernardini
                      • Len
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 14, 2001
                          Hi Marco;

                          >Maybe Yahoo is cutting lines along with workers ;-)
                          >I leave my files area open to public, so it seems very strange.
                          >In any case I'll mail you privately the image.

                          Thanks Marco, but I got through later in the day. I suspect the site was loaded down by the NTO rush to view your picture :-)). Well done.

                          Cheers, Len