IE 6

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2001
      An article in CNET to imply IE 6 will not include Java and JavScript
      support.

      http://one.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin1/flo?y=eBvf0BFlVD0h0sKa0AM

      regards,
      tf
    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2001
        On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:15:33 -0000, "thefrank" <thefrank@...>
        wrote:

        > An article in CNET to imply IE 6 will not include Java and JavScript
        > support.
        >
        > http://one.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin1/flo?y=eBvf0BFlVD0h0sKa0AM

        If Microsoft does this, they're cutting their own throats, all because
        they got their drawers in a twist over a relatively minor disagreement
        with Sun -- which could have been settled amicably with little effort.
        Every day in every way, Microsoft proves over and over again that they
        really do want to completely own your computing and communicating
        experience. They don't mind a bit if somebody dredges up the "monopoly"
        word, because they've proved that they can easily tie up any court
        action until the reality of life in Internet time has completely passed
        by any decisions that a court might render.

        But if they try to keep JavaScript out of IE, they'll be in deep
        trouble. Many web programmers (and I am one of them) refuse to use
        VBscript for the simple reason that it runs only on IE and no other
        browser (except those, like NeoPlanet, that are built on top of the IE
        engine). Furthermore, IE runs on Windows machine -- I'm not sure, but I
        think there may be a Macintosh version. But I strongly doubt IE runs on
        Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, or any of the other UNIX variants.
        I categorically refuse to program into my websites any technology that
        tells visitors, "Sorry, you're not welcome here." Imagine running an
        e-commerce site that tests to see what browser and operating system the
        customer is using and, finding that it's not IE on Windows, tells the
        customer, "Sorry, we don't want your money. Go spend it somewhere
        else".

        Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
        Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?

        Paul

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2001
          Paul wrote:
          <snipped muchly>
          and a big ole me too on all that you said!

          > engine). Furthermore, IE runs on Windows machine -- I'm not sure, but I
          > think there may be a Macintosh version.

          Yup, there is a Mac version, I believe that IE on Mac is just as prevalant as
          IE on Windows.

          > I categorically refuse to program into my websites any technology that
          > tells visitors, "Sorry, you're not welcome here." Imagine running an
          > e-commerce site that tests to see what browser and operating system the
          > customer is using and, finding that it's not IE on Windows, tells the
          > customer, "Sorry, we don't want your money. Go spend it somewhere
          > else".

          Exactly! All this does is make it that much harder for website designers,
          having to program in so much stuff to make sure it runs on all platforms...I'm
          going a bit bald, checking sites in IE, NN4, NN6, Opera and Lynx...

          > Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
          > Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?

          I would love to see a real news story, too, so far all I've seen is rumors.

          alice ttlg

          http://www.ditb.net/basement/
          Dureena: My people are taught to avoid crossroads, also beaches, cliffs, pits,
          caverns...and wells./ /Max: Where do you go on vacation? Another part of the
          room? -- Crusade
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
            Good morning,

            Have you seen this?
            http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20010411/tc/brf_yahoo_porn_3.html

            And the times they are achanging-
            Lotta
          • Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001

              Alle 10.07 Friday 13/04/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

              >And the times they are achanging-

              Gosh!
              I must start to draw dressed men instead of my undressed girls .... hehehehe!

              Look this one:

              Bye!

              Marco Bernardini
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
                Some good news:

                From Computerworld:

                Yahoo to remove adult-related products from Web sites

                Inc. said it
                would no longer provide adult-related products on its Web sites. The
                online portal also said it wouldn't enter into any new contracts for
                banner advertisements for adult-related materials.

                http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV47_STO59583_NL
                Tam%2C00.html

                On 13 Apr 2001, at 10:07, Lotta wrote:

                > Good morning,
                >
                > Have you seen this?
                > http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20010411/tc/brf_yahoo_porn_3.html
                >
                > And the times they are achanging-
                > Lotta

                Larry Hamilton, Jr.
                lm_hamilton@...
                http://notlimah.tripod.com/
                http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/

              • Stephen
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
                  The article is at:
                  http://www.internetworld.com/dotnet/03.15.01dotnetframework5.jsp

                  alice ttlg wrote:

                  > > I categorically refuse to program into my websites any technology that
                  > > tells visitors, "Sorry, you're not welcome here." Imagine running an
                  > > e-commerce site that tests to see what browser and operating system the
                  > > customer is using and, finding that it's not IE on Windows, tells the
                  > > customer, "Sorry, we don't want your money. Go spend it somewhere
                  > > else".

                  But they exist nevertheless. Of course they don't get MY money!

                  > Exactly! All this does is make it that much harder for website designers,
                  > having to program in so much stuff to make sure it runs on all platforms...I'm
                  > going a bit bald, checking sites in IE, NN4, NN6, Opera and Lynx...
                  >
                  > > Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
                  > > Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?
                  >
                  > I would love to see a real news story, too, so far all I've seen is rumors.
                  >
                  > alice ttlg

                • alice ttlg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001

                    and I said:
                    > > Exactly! All this does is make it that much harder for website designers,
                    > > having to program in so much stuff to make sure it runs on all
                    platforms...I'm
                    > > going a bit bald, checking sites in IE, NN4, NN6, Opera and Lynx...

                    Paul again:
                    > > > Does anybody here have the actual URL of any news story that says what
                    > > > Microsoft is or is not planning for IE6?

                    and me again:
                    > > I would love to see a real news story, too, so far all I've seen is
                    rumors.

                    (just for clarity's sake) :-)

                    and thanks for the news link!

                    alice ttlg

                    http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                    The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy. -- Helen Hayes
                    (at 73)
                  • Dr. Paul Harder
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
                      On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:38:39 -0700, Stephen <stephen@...>
                      wrote:

                      > The article is at:
                      > http://www.internetworld.com/dotnet/03.15.01dotnetframework5.jsp

                      Well, that article does discuss some of Microsoft's plans with respect
                      to Java, but it doesn't mention JavaScript -- which is an entirely
                      different language that actually has little relationship or resemblance
                      to Java. I'm aware that Microsoft is trying to divorce itself from Java
                      (or in playground parlance, they want to "take their ball and go home").
                      But I have yet to see any credible evidence that they're also ditching
                      JavaScript. I still believe that such a move would cut their own
                      throats.

                      PH

                      Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
                    • Len
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001
                        Hi Marco;

                        Having had a long interest in undressed ladies (artistic of course) I checked the referenced web site and received a cannot open error.

                        ????
                        Regards, Len

                        At 07:56 PM 4/13/01 +0200, you wrote:
                        >*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
                        >
                        >Alle 10.07 Friday 13/04/2001 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:
                        >
                        >>And the times they are achanging-
                        >
                        >Gosh!
                        >I must start to draw dressed men instead of my undressed girls .... hehehehe!
                        >
                        >Look this one:
                        >
                        >Bye!
                        >
                        >Marco Bernardini

                      • Marco Bernardini
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 13, 2001

                          Alle 12.57 Friday 13/04/2001 -0700, Len ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                          >Having had a long interest in undressed ladies (artistic of course) I
                          >checked the referenced web site and received a cannot open error.

                          Maybe Yahoo is cutting lines along with workers ;-)
                          I leave my files area open to public, so it seems very strange.
                          In any case I'll mail you privately the image.

                          Bye!

                          Marco Bernardini
                        • Len
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 14, 2001
                            Hi Marco;

                            >Maybe Yahoo is cutting lines along with workers ;-)
                            >I leave my files area open to public, so it seems very strange.
                            >In any case I'll mail you privately the image.

                            Thanks Marco, but I got through later in the day. I suspect the site was loaded down by the NTO rush to view your picture :-)). Well done.

                            Cheers, Len