Re: [NTO] Yahoo Profile

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
      > Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous post, I am
      > unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from the Edit Delivery
      > Options page. I do see the box that has a place for one's profile but there
      > is nothing selectable or clickable about it.
      >
      > Ray Shapp

      Did you go to the group's home page and then click Delivery Options on the
      right side of the screen? Then on the next page, your profile should be shown
      in a box with a dropdown so you can select a different one (assuming you have
      already created more than one profile).

      If you click on Edit Delivery Options from the MyGroups page, you can't change
      your profile there.

      And if you want to set up additional profiles or change your name on a
      profile, then you have to click the Acct Info link up at the top right side of
      the screen.

      If none of that works, then I guess you'd need to contact Yahoo support....

      alice ttlg

      http://www.ditb.net/basement/
      A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to
      himself. Or just as mad. -- Rosencrantz from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz &
      Guildenstern are Dead
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
        Hi Ray and Alice,

        I checked this group for you and I have it set so members can
        edit their profile and only members can view the profile of
        others. Is there a certain group(s) I can check for you? You
        might try unsubscribing and subscribing again if it means that
        much to you. ;) I believe you as a member have the option to
        display your profile or not display it. I get different pages
        than you all, so I really don't know exactly where to edit, etc.
        as a member and I surely don't want to sign up again on a list
        the see what you see. ;) Thanks for helping out Alice. :-)

        >Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous
        >post, I am unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from
        >the Edit Delivery Options page. I do see the box that has a
        >place for one's profile but there is nothing selectable or
        >clickable about it.

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
          Jody wrote:
          > much to you. ;) I believe you as a member have the option to
          > display your profile or not display it. I get different pages
          > than you all, so I really don't know exactly where to edit, etc.

          Yep, that's how it works, only a member can change their profile, listowners
          can see them but can't change them. Ray could try unsubbing from the Yahoo
          website and then subbing again from there and see if he can choose a profile
          that way.

          > as a member and I surely don't want to sign up again on a list
          > the see what you see. ;) Thanks for helping out Alice. :-)

          You're welcome, I run a few lists too and I know how many problems people have
          had dealing with the Yahoo system. :-( What makes it worse is that there's so
          many places you have to go to change everything, MyGroups and MyPreferences
          and then also Delivery Options on each list's Home page and then Account Info
          for ID and profile changes, it's enough to make your head spin!

          Maybe someone could create a clip that will fix everything in Yahoo? :-)

          alice ttlg

          http://www.ditb.net/basement/
          Because I was born in the South, I am a Southerner. If I had been born in the
          North, the West, or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being. --
          Clyde Edgerton
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
            Alice and Jody

            The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe and
            resubscribe. I had previously visited all the screens and I had tried all
            your suggestions to no avail. The off/on trick, did work well. My only
            concern now is that one of the lists I've been on for a long time passes
            "judgment" on all new applicants. For that list, I'm now listed as
            "pending".

            If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far too much
            mail as it is.

            Thanks again for the help.

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ
          • alice ttlg
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
              Ray wrote:
              > The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe and
              > resubscribe. I had previously visited all the screens and I had tried all
              > your suggestions to no avail. The off/on trick, did work well. My only

              Yup, sometimes that works when nothing else will!

              > If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far too much
              > mail as it is.

              You could always email the listowner - listname-owner@yahoogroups.com, change
              "listname" to the actual listname, of course - and explain why you had to
              unsub and sub again.

              But then again, it's also an easy way to weed out your mail! :-)

              alice ttlg

              http://www.ditb.net/basement/
              ... one suspects that a really good Pentagon spokesperson could deny the very
              existence of all earthly and cosmic matter, if asked by a superior to do so,
              with a straight face ... -- Today's Suck, 6/11/98
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                Hi Alice,

                >You're welcome, I run a few lists too and I know how many
                >problems people have had dealing with the Yahoo system. :-( What
                >makes it worse is that there's so many places you have to go to
                >change everything, MyGroups and MyPreferences and then also
                >Delivery Options on each list's Home page and then Account Info
                >for ID and profile changes, it's enough to make your head spin!

                Boy, don't you know it! I don't know how long you've been around
                but the days of makelist.com and some other old name I forget
                were very simple and easy. Hopefully, someday, Eric and I will be
                able to afford and have the time to support our own mail server.

                >Maybe someone could create a clip that will fix everything in
                >Yahoo? :-)

                That surely is a thought! I have some clips I use now for
                managing like one to go to the list and give them the group
                policy for posting - it's a one clicker to get to the users Edit
                (in management mode), then another couple clicks because they
                want put on the first page as I have been requesting, the options
                they have under the Edit link. :(

                I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                never saw it. Do we have that?

                c ya,
                jody

                I can only please one person a day.
                Today is obviously not your day.
                Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

                http://www.purewords.org/sojourner/
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                  Hi Ray, Alice, and Others,

                  >The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe
                  >and resubscribe.

                  Yep, that's the fix-all. Kind of what the HP Pavilion techs tell
                  their customers - stick in the rescue disk. LOL

                  >If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far
                  >too much mail as it is.

                  haha, let me know private eMail if you have anything pending on
                  one of my lists. I have them set up differently for different
                  reasons. I pay a SPAM (yes/no) game with myself and SPAM folk
                  by settings options certain ways at certain times. ;->

                  Bye for now,
                  Jody Adair
                  Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                  http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
                  http://www.purewords.org/kjb1611
                  http://www.notetab.net
                • alice ttlg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                    Jody wrote:
                    > Boy, don't you know it! I don't know how long you've been around
                    > but the days of makelist.com and some other old name I forget
                    > were very simple and easy. Hopefully, someday, Eric and I will be
                    > able to afford and have the time to support our own mail server.

                    ooh, that would be lovely! and yes, I remember makelist! and onelist and
                    egroups and now yahoogroups, wonder what it'll be next year....<grin>

                    > That surely is a thought! I have some clips I use now for
                    > managing like one to go to the list and give them the group
                    > policy for posting - it's a one clicker to get to the users Edit
                    > (in management mode), then another couple clicks because they
                    > want put on the first page as I have been requesting, the options
                    > they have under the Edit link. :(

                    If only they'd run it the way we want it! It would be so much better...

                    > I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                    > manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                    > never saw it. Do we have that?

                    Well you can approve messages and new members by email but that's all. You
                    have to turn on the notifications, go to your group, go to your email address,
                    click Edit and check the boxes for notification about pending messages and
                    members.

                    But you can't do anything else, can't unbounce people, can't remove someone.
                    List members can change to individual email, digest or nomail by email
                    commands tho. (listname-normal@yahoogroups.com, listname-digest and
                    listname-nomail)

                    alice ttlg

                    http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                    I just said, "Well, if you're going to get all philosophical on me, it's just
                    as pointless talking about a lot of things, love for instance." and he said,
                    "Definitely! Most definitely! Talking about love is like dancing about
                    architecture." -- Playing By Heart
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 14, 2001
                      Hi Alice,

                      Been out and about, sick, and busy...

                      >> I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                      >> manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                      >> never saw it. Do we have that?
                      >
                      >Well you can approve messages and new members by email but that's
                      >all. You have to turn on the notifications, go to your group, go
                      >to your email address, click Edit and check the boxes for
                      >notification about pending messages and members.

                      Yes, I cannot even get them to put a "Use Group Policy" on the
                      front page when linking to the user. Once you get to the front
                      you still have to click on Edit. :-( I use one click clips, but
                      it is still a drag.

                      >But you can't do anything else, can't unbounce people, can't
                      >remove someone.

                      True, and I suggest it about every 6 months. :-(