Re: [NTO] Yahoo Profile

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
      alice ttlg

      Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous post, I am
      unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from the Edit Delivery
      Options page. I do see the box that has a place for one's profile but there
      is nothing selectable or clickable about it.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
        > Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous post, I am
        > unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from the Edit Delivery
        > Options page. I do see the box that has a place for one's profile but there
        > is nothing selectable or clickable about it.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

        Did you go to the group's home page and then click Delivery Options on the
        right side of the screen? Then on the next page, your profile should be shown
        in a box with a dropdown so you can select a different one (assuming you have
        already created more than one profile).

        If you click on Edit Delivery Options from the MyGroups page, you can't change
        your profile there.

        And if you want to set up additional profiles or change your name on a
        profile, then you have to click the Acct Info link up at the top right side of
        the screen.

        If none of that works, then I guess you'd need to contact Yahoo support....

        alice ttlg

        http://www.ditb.net/basement/
        A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to
        himself. Or just as mad. -- Rosencrantz from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz &
        Guildenstern are Dead
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
          Hi Ray and Alice,

          I checked this group for you and I have it set so members can
          edit their profile and only members can view the profile of
          others. Is there a certain group(s) I can check for you? You
          might try unsubscribing and subscribing again if it means that
          much to you. ;) I believe you as a member have the option to
          display your profile or not display it. I get different pages
          than you all, so I really don't know exactly where to edit, etc.
          as a member and I surely don't want to sign up again on a list
          the see what you see. ;) Thanks for helping out Alice. :-)

          >Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous
          >post, I am unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from
          >the Edit Delivery Options page. I do see the box that has a
          >place for one's profile but there is nothing selectable or
          >clickable about it.

        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
            Jody wrote:
            > much to you. ;) I believe you as a member have the option to
            > display your profile or not display it. I get different pages
            > than you all, so I really don't know exactly where to edit, etc.

            Yep, that's how it works, only a member can change their profile, listowners
            can see them but can't change them. Ray could try unsubbing from the Yahoo
            website and then subbing again from there and see if he can choose a profile
            that way.

            > as a member and I surely don't want to sign up again on a list
            > the see what you see. ;) Thanks for helping out Alice. :-)

            You're welcome, I run a few lists too and I know how many problems people have
            had dealing with the Yahoo system. :-( What makes it worse is that there's so
            many places you have to go to change everything, MyGroups and MyPreferences
            and then also Delivery Options on each list's Home page and then Account Info
            for ID and profile changes, it's enough to make your head spin!

            Maybe someone could create a clip that will fix everything in Yahoo? :-)

            alice ttlg

            http://www.ditb.net/basement/
            Because I was born in the South, I am a Southerner. If I had been born in the
            North, the West, or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being. --
            Clyde Edgerton
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
              Alice and Jody

              The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe and
              resubscribe. I had previously visited all the screens and I had tried all
              your suggestions to no avail. The off/on trick, did work well. My only
              concern now is that one of the lists I've been on for a long time passes
              "judgment" on all new applicants. For that list, I'm now listed as
              "pending".

              If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far too much
              mail as it is.

              Thanks again for the help.

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
                Ray wrote:
                > The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe and
                > resubscribe. I had previously visited all the screens and I had tried all
                > your suggestions to no avail. The off/on trick, did work well. My only

                Yup, sometimes that works when nothing else will!

                > If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far too much
                > mail as it is.

                You could always email the listowner - listname-owner@yahoogroups.com, change
                "listname" to the actual listname, of course - and explain why you had to
                unsub and sub again.

                But then again, it's also an easy way to weed out your mail! :-)

                alice ttlg

                http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                ... one suspects that a really good Pentagon spokesperson could deny the very
                existence of all earthly and cosmic matter, if asked by a superior to do so,
                with a straight face ... -- Today's Suck, 6/11/98
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                  Hi Alice,

                  >You're welcome, I run a few lists too and I know how many
                  >problems people have had dealing with the Yahoo system. :-( What
                  >makes it worse is that there's so many places you have to go to
                  >change everything, MyGroups and MyPreferences and then also
                  >Delivery Options on each list's Home page and then Account Info
                  >for ID and profile changes, it's enough to make your head spin!

                  Boy, don't you know it! I don't know how long you've been around
                  but the days of makelist.com and some other old name I forget
                  were very simple and easy. Hopefully, someday, Eric and I will be
                  able to afford and have the time to support our own mail server.

                  >Maybe someone could create a clip that will fix everything in
                  >Yahoo? :-)

                  That surely is a thought! I have some clips I use now for
                  managing like one to go to the list and give them the group
                  policy for posting - it's a one clicker to get to the users Edit
                  (in management mode), then another couple clicks because they
                  want put on the first page as I have been requesting, the options
                  they have under the Edit link. :(

                  I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                  manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                  never saw it. Do we have that?

                  c ya,
                  jody

                  I can only please one person a day.
                  Today is obviously not your day.
                  Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

                  http://www.purewords.org/sojourner/
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                    Hi Ray, Alice, and Others,

                    >The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe
                    >and resubscribe.

                    Yep, that's the fix-all. Kind of what the HP Pavilion techs tell
                    their customers - stick in the rescue disk. LOL

                    >If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far
                    >too much mail as it is.

                    haha, let me know private eMail if you have anything pending on
                    one of my lists. I have them set up differently for different
                    reasons. I pay a SPAM (yes/no) game with myself and SPAM folk
                    by settings options certain ways at certain times. ;->

                    Bye for now,
                    Jody Adair
                    Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                    http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
                    http://www.purewords.org/kjb1611
                    http://www.notetab.net
                  • alice ttlg
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                      Jody wrote:
                      > Boy, don't you know it! I don't know how long you've been around
                      > but the days of makelist.com and some other old name I forget
                      > were very simple and easy. Hopefully, someday, Eric and I will be
                      > able to afford and have the time to support our own mail server.

                      ooh, that would be lovely! and yes, I remember makelist! and onelist and
                      egroups and now yahoogroups, wonder what it'll be next year....<grin>

                      > That surely is a thought! I have some clips I use now for
                      > managing like one to go to the list and give them the group
                      > policy for posting - it's a one clicker to get to the users Edit
                      > (in management mode), then another couple clicks because they
                      > want put on the first page as I have been requesting, the options
                      > they have under the Edit link. :(

                      If only they'd run it the way we want it! It would be so much better...

                      > I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                      > manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                      > never saw it. Do we have that?

                      Well you can approve messages and new members by email but that's all. You
                      have to turn on the notifications, go to your group, go to your email address,
                      click Edit and check the boxes for notification about pending messages and
                      members.

                      But you can't do anything else, can't unbounce people, can't remove someone.
                      List members can change to individual email, digest or nomail by email
                      commands tho. (listname-normal@yahoogroups.com, listname-digest and
                      listname-nomail)

                      alice ttlg

                      http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                      I just said, "Well, if you're going to get all philosophical on me, it's just
                      as pointless talking about a lot of things, love for instance." and he said,
                      "Definitely! Most definitely! Talking about love is like dancing about
                      architecture." -- Playing By Heart
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 14, 2001
                        Hi Alice,

                        Been out and about, sick, and busy...

                        >> I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                        >> manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                        >> never saw it. Do we have that?
                        >
                        >Well you can approve messages and new members by email but that's
                        >all. You have to turn on the notifications, go to your group, go
                        >to your email address, click Edit and check the boxes for
                        >notification about pending messages and members.

                        Yes, I cannot even get them to put a "Use Group Policy" on the
                        front page when linking to the user. Once you get to the front
                        you still have to click on Edit. :-( I use one click clips, but
                        it is still a drag.

                        >But you can't do anything else, can't unbounce people, can't
                        >remove someone.

                        True, and I suggest it about every 6 months. :-(