Re: [NTO] Yahoo Profile

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
      Ray Shapp asked:
      > I visited the Yahoo groups website and clicked on My Groups. I noticed that
      > under "Profile", the NT Off Topic group is blank but the NT Clips group
      > shows "rayshapp" in the "Profile" column. How can I make my profile
      > available to all the Yahoo groups I'm on?

      Click on the group name, then clidk on Edit Delivery Options. There is a box
      there to select your profile. If the correct profile is shown, be sure to
      click on Save Changes! Otherwise, it doesn't save the info even tho it's
      shown.

      > Now, in fact, I don't see anything specifically called "My Profile" or
      > "Profile" except the column named "Profile" but the column heading is not
      > clickable. How do I edit my profile?

      Top right side of the screen, there's a link, Acct Info, click on that, then
      you can click on Edit/Create Profiles to change that info.

      alice ttlg

      http://www.ditb.net/basement/
      One hand on latte, one knee on wheel, cradling cell phone, foot on brake, mind
      on game: Seattle -- How to Identify Where a Driver is From
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
        alice ttlg

        Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous post, I am
        unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from the Edit Delivery
        Options page. I do see the box that has a place for one's profile but there
        is nothing selectable or clickable about it.

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
          > Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous post, I am
          > unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from the Edit Delivery
          > Options page. I do see the box that has a place for one's profile but there
          > is nothing selectable or clickable about it.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

          Did you go to the group's home page and then click Delivery Options on the
          right side of the screen? Then on the next page, your profile should be shown
          in a box with a dropdown so you can select a different one (assuming you have
          already created more than one profile).

          If you click on Edit Delivery Options from the MyGroups page, you can't change
          your profile there.

          And if you want to set up additional profiles or change your name on a
          profile, then you have to click the Acct Info link up at the top right side of
          the screen.

          If none of that works, then I guess you'd need to contact Yahoo support....

          alice ttlg

          http://www.ditb.net/basement/
          A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to
          himself. Or just as mad. -- Rosencrantz from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz &
          Guildenstern are Dead
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
            Hi Ray and Alice,

            I checked this group for you and I have it set so members can
            edit their profile and only members can view the profile of
            others. Is there a certain group(s) I can check for you? You
            might try unsubscribing and subscribing again if it means that
            much to you. ;) I believe you as a member have the option to
            display your profile or not display it. I get different pages
            than you all, so I really don't know exactly where to edit, etc.
            as a member and I surely don't want to sign up again on a list
            the see what you see. ;) Thanks for helping out Alice. :-)

            >Thanks for trying to help, however, as I said in my previous
            >post, I am unable to edit (add, modify or delete) my profile from
            >the Edit Delivery Options page. I do see the box that has a
            >place for one's profile but there is nothing selectable or
            >clickable about it.

          • alice ttlg
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
              Jody wrote:
              > much to you. ;) I believe you as a member have the option to
              > display your profile or not display it. I get different pages
              > than you all, so I really don't know exactly where to edit, etc.

              Yep, that's how it works, only a member can change their profile, listowners
              can see them but can't change them. Ray could try unsubbing from the Yahoo
              website and then subbing again from there and see if he can choose a profile
              that way.

              > as a member and I surely don't want to sign up again on a list
              > the see what you see. ;) Thanks for helping out Alice. :-)

              You're welcome, I run a few lists too and I know how many problems people have
              had dealing with the Yahoo system. :-( What makes it worse is that there's so
              many places you have to go to change everything, MyGroups and MyPreferences
              and then also Delivery Options on each list's Home page and then Account Info
              for ID and profile changes, it's enough to make your head spin!

              Maybe someone could create a clip that will fix everything in Yahoo? :-)

              alice ttlg

              http://www.ditb.net/basement/
              Because I was born in the South, I am a Southerner. If I had been born in the
              North, the West, or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being. --
              Clyde Edgerton
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
                Alice and Jody

                The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe and
                resubscribe. I had previously visited all the screens and I had tried all
                your suggestions to no avail. The off/on trick, did work well. My only
                concern now is that one of the lists I've been on for a long time passes
                "judgment" on all new applicants. For that list, I'm now listed as
                "pending".

                If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far too much
                mail as it is.

                Thanks again for the help.

                Ray Shapp
                Watchung, NJ
              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2001
                  Ray wrote:
                  > The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe and
                  > resubscribe. I had previously visited all the screens and I had tried all
                  > your suggestions to no avail. The off/on trick, did work well. My only

                  Yup, sometimes that works when nothing else will!

                  > If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far too much
                  > mail as it is.

                  You could always email the listowner - listname-owner@yahoogroups.com, change
                  "listname" to the actual listname, of course - and explain why you had to
                  unsub and sub again.

                  But then again, it's also an easy way to weed out your mail! :-)

                  alice ttlg

                  http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                  ... one suspects that a really good Pentagon spokesperson could deny the very
                  existence of all earthly and cosmic matter, if asked by a superior to do so,
                  with a straight face ... -- Today's Suck, 6/11/98
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                    Hi Alice,

                    >You're welcome, I run a few lists too and I know how many
                    >problems people have had dealing with the Yahoo system. :-( What
                    >makes it worse is that there's so many places you have to go to
                    >change everything, MyGroups and MyPreferences and then also
                    >Delivery Options on each list's Home page and then Account Info
                    >for ID and profile changes, it's enough to make your head spin!

                    Boy, don't you know it! I don't know how long you've been around
                    but the days of makelist.com and some other old name I forget
                    were very simple and easy. Hopefully, someday, Eric and I will be
                    able to afford and have the time to support our own mail server.

                    >Maybe someone could create a clip that will fix everything in
                    >Yahoo? :-)

                    That surely is a thought! I have some clips I use now for
                    managing like one to go to the list and give them the group
                    policy for posting - it's a one clicker to get to the users Edit
                    (in management mode), then another couple clicks because they
                    want put on the first page as I have been requesting, the options
                    they have under the Edit link. :(

                    I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                    manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                    never saw it. Do we have that?

                    c ya,
                    jody

                    I can only please one person a day.
                    Today is obviously not your day.
                    Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

                    http://www.purewords.org/sojourner/
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                      Hi Ray, Alice, and Others,

                      >The best advice (at least in my case) was to tell me unsubscribe
                      >and resubscribe.

                      Yep, that's the fix-all. Kind of what the HP Pavilion techs tell
                      their customers - stick in the rescue disk. LOL

                      >If they don't re-accept me, that will be just great. I get far
                      >too much mail as it is.

                      haha, let me know private eMail if you have anything pending on
                      one of my lists. I have them set up differently for different
                      reasons. I pay a SPAM (yes/no) game with myself and SPAM folk
                      by settings options certain ways at certain times. ;->

                      Bye for now,
                      Jody Adair
                      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                      http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
                      http://www.purewords.org/kjb1611
                      http://www.notetab.net
                    • alice ttlg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 5, 2001
                        Jody wrote:
                        > Boy, don't you know it! I don't know how long you've been around
                        > but the days of makelist.com and some other old name I forget
                        > were very simple and easy. Hopefully, someday, Eric and I will be
                        > able to afford and have the time to support our own mail server.

                        ooh, that would be lovely! and yes, I remember makelist! and onelist and
                        egroups and now yahoogroups, wonder what it'll be next year....<grin>

                        > That surely is a thought! I have some clips I use now for
                        > managing like one to go to the list and give them the group
                        > policy for posting - it's a one clicker to get to the users Edit
                        > (in management mode), then another couple clicks because they
                        > want put on the first page as I have been requesting, the options
                        > they have under the Edit link. :(

                        If only they'd run it the way we want it! It would be so much better...

                        > I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                        > manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                        > never saw it. Do we have that?

                        Well you can approve messages and new members by email but that's all. You
                        have to turn on the notifications, go to your group, go to your email address,
                        click Edit and check the boxes for notification about pending messages and
                        members.

                        But you can't do anything else, can't unbounce people, can't remove someone.
                        List members can change to individual email, digest or nomail by email
                        commands tho. (listname-normal@yahoogroups.com, listname-digest and
                        listname-nomail)

                        alice ttlg

                        http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                        I just said, "Well, if you're going to get all philosophical on me, it's just
                        as pointless talking about a lot of things, love for instance." and he said,
                        "Definitely! Most definitely! Talking about love is like dancing about
                        architecture." -- Playing By Heart
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 14, 2001
                          Hi Alice,

                          Been out and about, sick, and busy...

                          >> I though we were going to be able to use eMail addresses to
                          >> manage the list via eMail when we merged with OneList, but I
                          >> never saw it. Do we have that?
                          >
                          >Well you can approve messages and new members by email but that's
                          >all. You have to turn on the notifications, go to your group, go
                          >to your email address, click Edit and check the boxes for
                          >notification about pending messages and members.

                          Yes, I cannot even get them to put a "Use Group Policy" on the
                          front page when linking to the user. Once you get to the front
                          you still have to click on Edit. :-( I use one click clips, but
                          it is still a drag.

                          >But you can't do anything else, can't unbounce people, can't
                          >remove someone.

                          True, and I suggest it about every 6 months. :-(