[NTO] Interesting alert

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

      Hi all!

      If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
      Advisory".
      I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
      messages, but very interesting.
      The site is http://www.cert.org/

      Bye!
      Marco Bernardini

      ***************

      CERT Advisory CA-2001-06 Automatic Execution of Embedded MIME Types

      Original release date: April 03, 2001
      Last revised: --
      Source: CERT/CC

      A complete revision history can be found at the end of this file.

      Systems Affected

      * All versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 or earlier,
      except IE 5.01 SP2
      * Any software which utilizes vulnerable versions of Internet
      Explorer to render HTML

      Overview

      Microsoft Internet Explorer has a vulnerability triggered when parsing
      MIME parts in a document that allows a malicious agent to execute
      arbitrary code. Any user or program that uses vulnerable versions of
      Internet Explorer to render HTML in a document (for example, when
      browsing a filesystem, reading email or news messages, or visiting a
      web page), should immediately upgrade to a non-vulnerable version of
      Internet Explorer.

      This document is available from:

      *************
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

        Alle 05.40 Wednesday 04/04/2001 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo
        messaggio:

        >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version

        But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
        only ;-)

        I must learn to use DOS ftp because it's difficult to find other programs
        on "common people" programs, and often I must transfer files from strange
        places...

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
          >
          > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
          > only ;-)

          I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
          student.

          and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
          trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

          alice ttlg

          http://www.ditb.net/basement/
          We know of an ancient radiation/That haunts dismembered constellations/A
          faintly glimmering radio station.... -- "Frank Sinatra" by Cake
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
            > If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
            > Advisory".
            > I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
            > messages, but very interesting.
            > The site is http://www.cert.org/
            >
            > Bye!
            > Marco Bernardini

            I was subbed to that list for a couple years but probably 90% of the alerts I
            got were related to OS other than Windows (which is all I use) plus it's often
            in such technospeak that most casual users won't understand much of it (imho).

            And I wouldn't try to sub a mailing list to it, btw. :-) But you could pass
            the info on to mailing lists so that members could join it individually.

            It's a good website for info about hoaxes as well.

            alice ttlg

            http://www.ditb.net/basement/
            The English language is the result of Norman soldiers trying to set up dates
            with Saxon barmaids....
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
              At 07:10 AM 4/4/01, you wrote:
              > > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
              > >
              > > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
              > > only ;-)
              >
              >I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
              >student.
              >
              >and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
              >trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

              FWIW

              For anyone interested in either WS_FTP or CuteFTp there is a list for both
              similar but not quite the same a this list right here on yahoogroups.

              Subscribe: CuteFTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Subscribe: WS_FTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              When you subscribe, they will automatically send you updates.

              Jim