Re: [NTO] FTP - uploads

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
      At 07:34 PM 4/3/01, you wrote:

      >Help! Am trying my first FTP upload --

      You might find it easier to learn about FTP by starting with one of the
      applications written specifically for doing that and then once you get the
      hang of it going from there.

      Here are 2 of the popular ones with trial versions.

      http://coffeecup.com/software/

      http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/ws_ftp_pro.html

      And here is the newest around which will take all of the work out of it for you

      http://uploadaway.wordit.com/download.html

      Hope it helps

      Jim
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

        Hi all!

        If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
        Advisory".
        I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
        messages, but very interesting.
        The site is http://www.cert.org/

        Bye!
        Marco Bernardini

        ***************

        CERT Advisory CA-2001-06 Automatic Execution of Embedded MIME Types

        Original release date: April 03, 2001
        Last revised: --
        Source: CERT/CC

        A complete revision history can be found at the end of this file.

        Systems Affected

        * All versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 or earlier,
        except IE 5.01 SP2
        * Any software which utilizes vulnerable versions of Internet
        Explorer to render HTML

        Overview

        Microsoft Internet Explorer has a vulnerability triggered when parsing
        MIME parts in a document that allows a malicious agent to execute
        arbitrary code. Any user or program that uses vulnerable versions of
        Internet Explorer to render HTML in a document (for example, when
        browsing a filesystem, reading email or news messages, or visiting a
        web page), should immediately upgrade to a non-vulnerable version of
        Internet Explorer.

        This document is available from:

        *************
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          Hi Jim and Mary,

          >Here are 2 of the popular ones with trial versions.
          >
          >http://coffeecup.com/software/
          >
          >http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/ws_ftp_pro.html

          Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version and I am pretty sure
          there is a CuteFTP that is free for personal use.

          A nice user friendly on is LeechFTP
          http://linux.fh-heilbronn.de/~debis/leechftp/

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

            Alle 05.40 Wednesday 04/04/2001 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo
            messaggio:

            >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version

            But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
            only ;-)

            I must learn to use DOS ftp because it's difficult to find other programs
            on "common people" programs, and often I must transfer files from strange
            places...

            Bye!

            Marco Bernardini
          • alice ttlg
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
              > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
              >
              > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
              > only ;-)

              I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
              student.

              and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
              trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

              alice ttlg

              http://www.ditb.net/basement/
              We know of an ancient radiation/That haunts dismembered constellations/A
              faintly glimmering radio station.... -- "Frank Sinatra" by Cake
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                > If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
                > Advisory".
                > I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
                > messages, but very interesting.
                > The site is http://www.cert.org/
                >
                > Bye!
                > Marco Bernardini

                I was subbed to that list for a couple years but probably 90% of the alerts I
                got were related to OS other than Windows (which is all I use) plus it's often
                in such technospeak that most casual users won't understand much of it (imho).

                And I wouldn't try to sub a mailing list to it, btw. :-) But you could pass
                the info on to mailing lists so that members could join it individually.

                It's a good website for info about hoaxes as well.

                alice ttlg

                http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                The English language is the result of Norman soldiers trying to set up dates
                with Saxon barmaids....
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                  At 07:10 AM 4/4/01, you wrote:
                  > > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
                  > >
                  > > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
                  > > only ;-)
                  >
                  >I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
                  >student.
                  >
                  >and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
                  >trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

                  FWIW

                  For anyone interested in either WS_FTP or CuteFTp there is a list for both
                  similar but not quite the same a this list right here on yahoogroups.

                  Subscribe: CuteFTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Subscribe: WS_FTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  When you subscribe, they will automatically send you updates.

                  Jim