Re: [NTO] FTP - uploads

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hi elfbutter,

      I sent a reply to your query on the basic list, perhaps better to
      keep the details on this list.

      Larry

      On 4 Apr 2001, at 2:34, elfbutter@... wrote:

      > Help! Am trying my first FTP upload -- have clicked on the server
      > window and entered my info and then on the upload and entered my info
      > -- and all was well -- until a DOS screen popped up with black
      > background and "FTP" the only thing on it -- no directions, nothing!
      > Where do I go from here??????

      Larry Hamilton, Jr.
      lm_hamilton@...
      http://notlimah.tripod.com/
      http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
        At 07:34 PM 4/3/01, you wrote:

        >Help! Am trying my first FTP upload --

        You might find it easier to learn about FTP by starting with one of the
        applications written specifically for doing that and then once you get the
        hang of it going from there.

        Here are 2 of the popular ones with trial versions.

        http://coffeecup.com/software/

        http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/ws_ftp_pro.html

        And here is the newest around which will take all of the work out of it for you

        http://uploadaway.wordit.com/download.html

        Hope it helps

        Jim
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

          Hi all!

          If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
          Advisory".
          I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
          messages, but very interesting.
          The site is http://www.cert.org/

          Bye!
          Marco Bernardini

          ***************

          CERT Advisory CA-2001-06 Automatic Execution of Embedded MIME Types

          Original release date: April 03, 2001
          Last revised: --
          Source: CERT/CC

          A complete revision history can be found at the end of this file.

          Systems Affected

          * All versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 or earlier,
          except IE 5.01 SP2
          * Any software which utilizes vulnerable versions of Internet
          Explorer to render HTML

          Overview

          Microsoft Internet Explorer has a vulnerability triggered when parsing
          MIME parts in a document that allows a malicious agent to execute
          arbitrary code. Any user or program that uses vulnerable versions of
          Internet Explorer to render HTML in a document (for example, when
          browsing a filesystem, reading email or news messages, or visiting a
          web page), should immediately upgrade to a non-vulnerable version of
          Internet Explorer.

          This document is available from:

          *************
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
            Hi Jim and Mary,

            >Here are 2 of the popular ones with trial versions.
            >
            >http://coffeecup.com/software/
            >
            >http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/ws_ftp_pro.html

            Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version and I am pretty sure
            there is a CuteFTP that is free for personal use.

            A nice user friendly on is LeechFTP
            http://linux.fh-heilbronn.de/~debis/leechftp/

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

              Alle 05.40 Wednesday 04/04/2001 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo
              messaggio:

              >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version

              But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
              only ;-)

              I must learn to use DOS ftp because it's difficult to find other programs
              on "common people" programs, and often I must transfer files from strange
              places...

              Bye!

              Marco Bernardini
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
                >
                > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
                > only ;-)

                I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
                student.

                and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
                trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

                alice ttlg

                http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                We know of an ancient radiation/That haunts dismembered constellations/A
                faintly glimmering radio station.... -- "Frank Sinatra" by Cake
              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                  > If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
                  > Advisory".
                  > I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
                  > messages, but very interesting.
                  > The site is http://www.cert.org/
                  >
                  > Bye!
                  > Marco Bernardini

                  I was subbed to that list for a couple years but probably 90% of the alerts I
                  got were related to OS other than Windows (which is all I use) plus it's often
                  in such technospeak that most casual users won't understand much of it (imho).

                  And I wouldn't try to sub a mailing list to it, btw. :-) But you could pass
                  the info on to mailing lists so that members could join it individually.

                  It's a good website for info about hoaxes as well.

                  alice ttlg

                  http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                  The English language is the result of Norman soldiers trying to set up dates
                  with Saxon barmaids....
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                    At 07:10 AM 4/4/01, you wrote:
                    > > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
                    > >
                    > > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
                    > > only ;-)
                    >
                    >I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
                    >student.
                    >
                    >and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
                    >trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

                    FWIW

                    For anyone interested in either WS_FTP or CuteFTp there is a list for both
                    similar but not quite the same a this list right here on yahoogroups.

                    Subscribe: CuteFTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Subscribe: WS_FTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    When you subscribe, they will automatically send you updates.

                    Jim