FTP - uploads

  • elfbutter@erinet.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
      Help! Am trying my first FTP upload -- have clicked on the server
      window and entered my info and then on the upload and entered my
      info -- and all was well -- until a DOS screen popped up with black
      background and "FTP" the only thing on it -- no directions, nothing!
      Where do I go from here??????
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
        Hi elfbutter,

        I sent a reply to your query on the basic list, perhaps better to
        keep the details on this list.

        Larry

        On 4 Apr 2001, at 2:34, elfbutter@... wrote:

        > Help! Am trying my first FTP upload -- have clicked on the server
        > window and entered my info and then on the upload and entered my info
        > -- and all was well -- until a DOS screen popped up with black
        > background and "FTP" the only thing on it -- no directions, nothing!
        > Where do I go from here??????

        Larry Hamilton, Jr.
        lm_hamilton@...
        http://notlimah.tripod.com/
        http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          At 07:34 PM 4/3/01, you wrote:

          >Help! Am trying my first FTP upload --

          You might find it easier to learn about FTP by starting with one of the
          applications written specifically for doing that and then once you get the
          hang of it going from there.

          Here are 2 of the popular ones with trial versions.

          http://coffeecup.com/software/

          http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/ws_ftp_pro.html

          And here is the newest around which will take all of the work out of it for you

          http://uploadaway.wordit.com/download.html

          Hope it helps

          Jim
        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

            Hi all!

            If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
            Advisory".
            I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
            messages, but very interesting.
            The site is http://www.cert.org/

            Bye!
            Marco Bernardini

            ***************

            CERT Advisory CA-2001-06 Automatic Execution of Embedded MIME Types

            Original release date: April 03, 2001
            Last revised: --
            Source: CERT/CC

            A complete revision history can be found at the end of this file.

            Systems Affected

            * All versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 or earlier,
            except IE 5.01 SP2
            * Any software which utilizes vulnerable versions of Internet
            Explorer to render HTML

            Overview

            Microsoft Internet Explorer has a vulnerability triggered when parsing
            MIME parts in a document that allows a malicious agent to execute
            arbitrary code. Any user or program that uses vulnerable versions of
            Internet Explorer to render HTML in a document (for example, when
            browsing a filesystem, reading email or news messages, or visiting a
            web page), should immediately upgrade to a non-vulnerable version of
            Internet Explorer.

            This document is available from:

            *************
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
              Hi Jim and Mary,

              >Here are 2 of the popular ones with trial versions.
              >
              >http://coffeecup.com/software/
              >
              >http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/ws_ftp_pro.html

              Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version and I am pretty sure
              there is a CuteFTP that is free for personal use.

              A nice user friendly on is LeechFTP
              http://linux.fh-heilbronn.de/~debis/leechftp/

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001

                Alle 05.40 Wednesday 04/04/2001 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo
                messaggio:

                >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version

                But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
                only ;-)

                I must learn to use DOS ftp because it's difficult to find other programs
                on "common people" programs, and often I must transfer files from strange
                places...

                Bye!

                Marco Bernardini
              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                  > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
                  >
                  > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
                  > only ;-)

                  I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
                  student.

                  and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
                  trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

                  alice ttlg

                  http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                  We know of an ancient radiation/That haunts dismembered constellations/A
                  faintly glimmering radio station.... -- "Frank Sinatra" by Cake
                • alice ttlg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                    > If you're concerned about security, here is an abstract of the last "CERT
                    > Advisory".
                    > I strongly suggest everybody to subscribe their mailing list: a few
                    > messages, but very interesting.
                    > The site is http://www.cert.org/
                    >
                    > Bye!
                    > Marco Bernardini

                    I was subbed to that list for a couple years but probably 90% of the alerts I
                    got were related to OS other than Windows (which is all I use) plus it's often
                    in such technospeak that most casual users won't understand much of it (imho).

                    And I wouldn't try to sub a mailing list to it, btw. :-) But you could pass
                    the info on to mailing lists so that members could join it individually.

                    It's a good website for info about hoaxes as well.

                    alice ttlg

                    http://www.ditb.net/basement/
                    The English language is the result of Norman soldiers trying to set up dates
                    with Saxon barmaids....
                  • Jim Hall
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                      At 07:10 AM 4/4/01, you wrote:
                      > > >Ws_FtpLE is still a freeware version
                      > >
                      > > But you must tell it you're a student using it at home for educational use
                      > > only ;-)
                      >
                      >I just said I was installing at home for personal use, you don't have to be a
                      >student.
                      >
                      >and it doesn't look like there's a free version of CuteFTP, just a 30 day
                      >trial that gets disabled at the end of 30 days.

                      FWIW

                      For anyone interested in either WS_FTP or CuteFTp there is a list for both
                      similar but not quite the same a this list right here on yahoogroups.

                      Subscribe: CuteFTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      Subscribe: WS_FTP-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      When you subscribe, they will automatically send you updates.

                      Jim