Mind maps etc

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2001
      There was a reasonably recent message from Carl Swann whether I had looked
      at Literary Machine, and like him I have started to tackle it to see what
      potential it has, and where I might use it.

      So it seems there are a number of options:

      Outline files - these, as I was properly corrected, are three stage files
      (not two). The filename, the outline headers and the content.

      There are various Mind Maps, one being eMindMaps, which are visual and
      allow the logical order of sections to be shifted from one branch to
      another. Hyperlinks and notes (like tooltips) are given and export to HTML/
      gif. Where the structure and visual presentation are importance, this is a
      good method.

      Then there is something like TreePad, which is the textual equivalent of
      Mind Maps, able also to shift branches to another trunk, and have
      hyperlinks to any external file. Choose this if notes are more important
      than visual appearance.

      Then Literary Machine works with Note Tab especially if the MS NotePad is
      replaced. Unlike all the others, Literary Machine allows a lower order
      element to link upwards to several higher branches, as well as the usual
      situation of higher orders linking to several branches. It puts keywords
      into a ladder, which can be grouped in different concepts and concepts can
      link to a number of items of text, as well as items go back up to several
      concepts (and therefore keywords) and all by dragging and dropping and
      cascading. But click on the top left of a textual item and it opens up in
      Note Tab for editing, and there is a full use of the clipboard. I am not
      quite sure yet how Outline files might relate back into this other
      software, but presently Note Tab works as a supporting editor with its text
      processing functions and clips.

      My website refers to Mind Mapping in study skills (because it aids logical
      thought) but the Literary Machine is as concepts linking texts because the
      qualitative potential of a matrix of connections rises. This doubles as a
      help file.

      On which point I downloaded version 4.85 and used the opportunity to prune
      my clipbooks and remove the downloaded ones that repeated or conflicted. I
      find it more logical to have Autocorrect, Email, HTML (though I am
      temporarily keeping DHTML separate) and Processing. I have them on my
      website, which shows how they are used.

      Adrian Worsfold

      http://www.pluralist.co.uk