Re: [NTO] Virus Etc.

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2000
      Phil,

      Norton gives you an opportunity to create 'rescue disks'. I
      don't know about McAffee, whether they have rescue disks or not.
      I don't suppose you have anything like that do you?

      Lacking the above, do you have a friend close who happens to have
      Norton or the other one. If so, maybe you can have them create a
      rescue set to run on your computer.

      That might eradicate the virus but I don't know if you can
      salvage your EXE files or not. You may have a long reinstall
      session ahead if they aren't saved.

      I wouldn't feel right about saving the files, short of a
      reformat, without an antivirus program to run on my hard disks.

      Just for the info, what email program do you use? Wouldn't be
      Outlook would it? Most of the reports I see indicate, to me,
      Outlook is very vulnerable to viruses.

      hrs

      --
      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2000
        Hi Guys,

        I guess Phil is between a rock and a 'hard' place and he may get
        some useful .com programs off his infected computer but, I would
        be hesitant about using any floppy or program on that floppy
        after being from an infected computer.
        Aren't floppies one of the primary modes of proliferation for
        computer viruses.

        In a previous post someone mentioned the CIH virus attacks .EXE
        files and maybe the CMOS chip, or chips. The CMOS, in terms of
        the Bios, is a chip that can be FLASH Programmed. That is done
        with software supplied by the chip maker for the purpose of
        upgrading your bios.

        The CIH virus may be able to alter the Chips programming. If
        that's the case you may have to go to the Bios manufacturer for
        replacement. On the dark side, I have read opinions several
        places some viruses can actually destroy certain hardware by
        overloading, overworking etc.

        This may not be the case with CIH, if not all the better for
        Phil.

        hrs

        --
        ¿? Harvey R. Savage
        ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2000
          Hi Phil,

          The quick answer to the question is, no. That is, if, CIH does
          harm your CMOS and it CMOS is affected without being physically
          harmed you will need to get an upgrade from -some source- like
          the BIOS maker.

          hrs

          --
          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17, 2000
            Hi,

            We've had a new computer for 'bout ~3 weeks now, and I am trying to make
            "shortcut keys" from the programs' shortcut properties so I can open
            NoteTab, Eudora, PaintShop Pro, etc. from tapping on ctrl+alt+whatever -
            Only these things will NOT work! Our old Gateway did this just fine (that
            runs Win98 1st edition), and the new computer runs Win98 latest and
            greatest (?) version. Does anyone have any idea why the keyboard shortcuts
            will not work?!?

            thanks for any help,
            Julie
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 18, 2000
              Hi Julie,

              > We've had a new computer for 'bout ~3 weeks now, and I am
              > trying to make "shortcut keys" from the programs' shortcut
              > properties so I can open NoteTab, Eudora, PaintShop Pro, etc.
              > from tapping on ctrl+alt+whatever -Only these things will NOT
              > work!

              I'm using Win98 SE and they are broke here. I checked at the
              update center and there were no fixes listed for it.

              c ya,
              Jody

              The whole world doth err save you
              and me and even thou doest err some!