Re: [NTO] Virus Etc.

  • Phil Edmunds
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 16, 2000
      I have two bootable floppies, but the virus I have is called Win32.CIH . It
      attacks any EXE file it finds and also just about any file that has a 32 in
      it. THey are plentiful. I was going to get rid of the computer and get a
      new one but I am just too stubborn. I want this one to get going again. I
      got the virus from a funny ( ! ) email. I am selling a book I wrote and a
      guy replied and then when I answered I was hit by an odd return. Then
      things started happening.

      I kept my virus program atthe ready, but not running all the time. It added
      to an already too long load time. Bad move on my part.

      Thanks for your help.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 16, 2000
        Hi Phil,

        > I have two bootable floppies, but the virus I have is called
        > Win32.CIH . It attacks any EXE file it finds and also just
        > about any file that has a 32 in it. THey are plentiful.

        I hate to be the one to inform you this, but if you do indeed
        have the CIH virus it is more serious than you may think. It
        attacks your CMOS on the mother board as well.

        Here are some links that may help you out. I have never had to
        recover from that so I do not know what is best to use.

        CIH Virus Recovery
        http://grc.com/cih.htm
        Win95.CIH, CIH, Spacefiller, Win32.CIH virus cleaning program.
        http://www.pspl.com/download/cleancih.htm

        http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&text=yes&q=cih+virus

        Happy Off-Topic'n!

        mailto:NoteTab-OT-Subscribe@...
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
          Alle 21.38 16/04/2000 -0700, Phil Edmunds ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

          >I got the virus from a funny ( ! ) email.

          Lesson one: don't execute programs received by mail before to triple check
          them with the latest anti-virus

          Lesson two: after checking, you can use NoteTab to look INTO received
          programs: if they contain odd unexpected messages better you don't execute
          them.

          Lesson two: OutLook (Out-Luck?) is very sensible to nasty attacks, because
          it's more than a mail program: like more other Microsoft things, it
          cooperate too strictly with operating system.
          A program must be a just a program, something you can run, stop and unload
          from RAM... just like Eudora, Netscape or Pegasus.
          Be aware to Personal Web Server, too: everybody on the web can see what's
          into your computer.

          w95.cih is very common, but I read somewhere it can mess up your bios, too!

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
        • Phil Edmunds
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
            I have the three disks that Norton has you make, plus I have another one
            that a program called eSafe ( Virus Scanner ) had me make. Plus I have one
            that came with my computer. Only one of them has FDISK, SYS.Com, and
            FORMAT.EXE on it. ( That is Visible to me.)

            I know I am in for it on re-installing, but I will be the same way if I buy
            a new computer. It will have windows but that is about it.

            I live next to a mountain called MORMON MESA. It is flat topped with 800
            foot cliffs on nearly all sides. I, as a last resort, will take this up
            there and drop it off. Let the virus survive that!!!!

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
              Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from downloads or
              disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus problem but erasing
              everything.

              Will that cure the CMOS problem?

              If it won't, how can I repair that without being able to load a program?

              Thoughts?

              Phil E.
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
                Phil

                You can find what now passes for DOS in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND or the equivalent
                folders on your computer. That's where you will find FDISK and all the
                other DOS utilities. You may want to set options in Explorer to display all
                hidden files as well. You can do that by opening Explorer, click on
                View|Folder Options then select the View tab. After doing that, you should
                be able to not only see system and hidden files (look at Attributes column),
                but you should also be able to copy them.

                I don't know whether ANY virus could alter your CMOS beyond what the BIOS
                allows. The manufacturer of your computer or its BIOS could tell you what
                is alterable and what are normal settings. Some CMOS menus allow you to
                "restore default". I'd try these options before the high mesa treatment!

                Good luck,

                Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
                  Hi Phil,

                  > Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from
                  > downloads or disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus
                  > problem but erasing everything.
                  >
                  > Will that cure the CMOS problem?

                  See the post I sent you with the two links on it to CIH fixes.
                  They gave the procedure on what to do to fix your computer. They
                  also had free utilities to help you with it.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 17, 2000
                    Alle 08.55 17/04/2000 -0700, Phil Edmunds ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                    >Since I cannot load any programs on my machine, either from downloads or
                    >disk, I can't think of any way out of this virus problem but erasing
                    >everything.

                    Remove your infected hard-disk.
                    Borrow an old hard-disk big enough to rescue your data, mount it on your
                    computer as primary disk and install Windows AND an anti-virus.
                    Mount as "slave" the infected disk: you see it as D:\
                    DON'T RUN PROGRAMS ON D:\ !!!!!

                    Copy all your data (and only data, not programs!) from D:\ to C:\
                    Make a low level format on D:\ (better to FDISK it, too)
                    Swap hard-disks and reinstall Windows on your "cured" disk, install all
                    your programs and copy data from D:\ to C:\
                    Hard job, but you can save at least your data.

                    HTH!

                    Marco Bernardini
                  • Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 18, 2000
                      Hi all!
                      This is a real OT... but I guess somebody can be interested.
                      A friend of mine, the artist Serenella Sossi, is seeking for inexpensive
                      places to exhibit her works (paintings and sculptures).
                      Hotels, spas, chambers of commerce, parish or municipal halls are fine.
                      You can see a sample of her paintings at
                      http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/sossi/
                      http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/arte.wrl for the VRML gallery

                      Let me know!

                      Bye

                      Marco Bernardini
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 19, 2000
                        Hi Marco,

                        > This is a real OT...

                        The list is wide open for topics as long as they are kept clean. ;)

                        > ...but I guess somebody can be interested. You can see a sample
                        > of her paintings at
                        >http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/sossi/
                        >http://www.taggiasca.com/arte/arte.wrl for the VRML gallery

                        See ya in the funnies!