Adding NTP to context menu.

  • gail
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2001
      Question regarding context menu:
      I want to add NTP to Explorer's right click context menu (Aka
      File|New), but don't know how to do this. Can anyone give me
      instructions? Thank you.
      Gail
    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2001
        On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:00:27 -0800, "gail" <gail@...> wrote:
        > Question regarding context menu:
        > I want to add NTP to Explorer's right click context menu (Aka
        > File|New), but don't know how to do this. Can anyone give me
        > instructions? Thank you.

        The easiest way is to download and install TweakUI from Microsoft's
        website -- if there's a version of TweakUI for your version of Windows.
        I think there's one for each version, but I'm not sure about WinNT and
        WinME.

        TweakUI has a number of useful capabilities, including the ability to
        drag a template file from Explorer into the TweakUI window and drop it
        into the New area. TweakUI will then setup the files and/or registry
        entries that are needed to add that type of document to the "New"
        context menu.

        At least that's the way I remember it. I don't happen to have it
        installed on this machine at the moment.

        Paul

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2001
          Hi Gail and Paul,

          I think there is a clip that does the trick in one of the libraries that
          ship with NTB. At least I think that's how my "New NoteTab Pro text file"
          got there. Only I can't find it now...

          Or use REGEDIT. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT find the right extension. In this
          case ".txt". Highlight the key and add a new key below it named "ShellNew".
          To "ShellNew" add a new string called "NullFile" and leave it's value blank.

        • gail
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2001
            When I installed Uedit32 several months ago it replaced Notepad
            on the New menu. I seem to remember removing the Uedit entry in
            Tweak's new window.. I probably messed something up trying to
            get rid of Uedit.

            I have TweakUI installed on my computer and just popped it up.
            The New window has Text File is on the New window with the NTP
            icon. It has a check mark, so it should show the New menu. I
            also put a blank template in C:\windows\Shellnew.

            I just removed Notepro.txt from the New window, since it wasn't
            working and tried to tried to drag and drop another text file to
            it. This resulted in an error message stating thet I had to
            first associate it to a program. Well, it's definitely
            associated. I click on a text file, and NTP opens it. Now I
            have to open a new winword document and convert it to text,
            Reboot...same problem. Oh well...
            Gail