adding new file type to context in explorer

  • mjm
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2001
      I made an otl file, customized with a heading for 'log' plus a few empty headings, and dragged the otl file onto
      TweakUI in the window on the New tab, which makes the otl file available in the open 'new' context function from
      Windows Explorer -- which I find convenient. I also did the same with a .diz file.

      What I want to do is to set up a new file type for my own diz type notes which I call .sif (for software index file) --
      just to give it a different icon and differentiate it from regular diz files. I created a new file association instructing
      NTP to open it, and even added it to the list of associations in NTP options. If I create a text file and rename it
      new.sif, its custom icon will appear, and it will open in NTP -- however I can't get it to appear in Windows Explorer's
      'new' context menu. I've tried using TweakUI; also tried just placeing the new file in [explorer.exe
      C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew\] but that doesn't work. Does anyone here know how this can be done?

      thanks,
      Michael McKinney
      notetaber since 2.63 I think it was.