Re: [NTO] Virus Etc.

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2000
      Hi Phil,

      I've never had to use Fdisk. Other readers can probably help
      with that. But, if you happen to have a boot record virus you
      might save the day with the command - Format c: /mbr. That is
      supposed to reformat the boot record and wipe any boot record
      viruses. Of course, to do this correctly, you also need a
      bootable floppy disk with format.com on it. I make it a practice
      to always have 3 or 4 bootable floppies laying around and I would
      recommended everyone else have the same. This is regardless of
      whether you've had trouble or not.

      hrs

      --
      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2000
        Phil,

        Norton gives you an opportunity to create 'rescue disks'. I
        don't know about McAffee, whether they have rescue disks or not.
        I don't suppose you have anything like that do you?

        Lacking the above, do you have a friend close who happens to have
        Norton or the other one. If so, maybe you can have them create a
        rescue set to run on your computer.

        That might eradicate the virus but I don't know if you can
        salvage your EXE files or not. You may have a long reinstall
        session ahead if they aren't saved.

        I wouldn't feel right about saving the files, short of a
        reformat, without an antivirus program to run on my hard disks.

        Just for the info, what email program do you use? Wouldn't be
        Outlook would it? Most of the reports I see indicate, to me,
        Outlook is very vulnerable to viruses.

        hrs

        --
        ¿? Harvey R. Savage
        ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2000
          Hi Guys,

          I guess Phil is between a rock and a 'hard' place and he may get
          some useful .com programs off his infected computer but, I would
          be hesitant about using any floppy or program on that floppy
          after being from an infected computer.
          Aren't floppies one of the primary modes of proliferation for
          computer viruses.

          In a previous post someone mentioned the CIH virus attacks .EXE
          files and maybe the CMOS chip, or chips. The CMOS, in terms of
          the Bios, is a chip that can be FLASH Programmed. That is done
          with software supplied by the chip maker for the purpose of
          upgrading your bios.

          The CIH virus may be able to alter the Chips programming. If
          that's the case you may have to go to the Bios manufacturer for
          replacement. On the dark side, I have read opinions several
          places some viruses can actually destroy certain hardware by
          overloading, overworking etc.

          This may not be the case with CIH, if not all the better for
          Phil.

          hrs

          --
          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17, 2000
            Hi Phil,

            The quick answer to the question is, no. That is, if, CIH does
            harm your CMOS and it CMOS is affected without being physically
            harmed you will need to get an upgrade from -some source- like
            the BIOS maker.

            hrs

            --
            ¿? Harvey R. Savage
            ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 17, 2000
              Hi,

              We've had a new computer for 'bout ~3 weeks now, and I am trying to make
              "shortcut keys" from the programs' shortcut properties so I can open
              NoteTab, Eudora, PaintShop Pro, etc. from tapping on ctrl+alt+whatever -
              Only these things will NOT work! Our old Gateway did this just fine (that
              runs Win98 1st edition), and the new computer runs Win98 latest and
              greatest (?) version. Does anyone have any idea why the keyboard shortcuts
              will not work?!?

              thanks for any help,
              Julie
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18, 2000
                Hi Julie,

                > We've had a new computer for 'bout ~3 weeks now, and I am
                > trying to make "shortcut keys" from the programs' shortcut
                > properties so I can open NoteTab, Eudora, PaintShop Pro, etc.
                > from tapping on ctrl+alt+whatever -Only these things will NOT
                > work!

                I'm using Win98 SE and they are broke here. I checked at the
                update center and there were no fixes listed for it.

                c ya,
                Jody

                The whole world doth err save you
                and me and even thou doest err some!