Re: [NTO] Re: [NH] Netscape 6

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2001
      Hi all,
      Although I do use Netscape 4.7, I discovered Netscape Six is not so bad
      if you don't install the extras. When installing don't let it add the
      Java Run-Time environment (it will tend to always open up and you have
      to wait.) or anything else. I re-installed it several times trying
      different things and if you install it lean and mean it is just about as
      fast as IE, but still more bloated than Opera. I think making it
      skinnable slows it down, myself.
      Stephen
    • Lloyd
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
        Hi Jody,

        Here is the address I used to download it.:

        Here's where to download NS 4.76:
        ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.76/windows/windows95_or_nt/complete_install/cc32d476.exe

        (copy & paste in yr browser window)

        It is a 23meg file so you can imagine how long to download with my 28.8
        modem. I will be setting it up shortly.

        Lloyd
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
          Hi Lloyd,

          >Here's where to download NS 4.76:
          >ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.76/windows/windows95_or_nt/complete_install/cc32d476.exe
          >
          >(copy & paste in yr browser window)
          >
          >It is a 23meg file so you can imagine how long to download with
          >my 28.8 modem. I will be setting it up shortly.

          Installed it last night via the link Julie gave. The file size
          you quote is for the full download. I happened to get that this
          time so I would have more to test with, but normally always go
          just for the browser. I never open the ting anyway unless I am
          testing. :) I left Netscape back in version 3 somewhere.

        • Lloyd
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
            Hi Jody,

            I tried to install IE 4.0, I believe it was, several years ago. Gates
            grabbed my computer and I couldn't get it back any way except pulling the
            plug for about 3 hours. I swore at that time, He wouldn't get me again. I
            have it as an off line view browser to look at web pages on but wont take
            it on line again.

            Lloyd
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2001
              Hi Lloyd,

              >I tried to install IE 4.0, I believe it was, several years ago.
              >Gates grabbed my computer and I couldn't get it back any way
              >except pulling the plug for about 3 hours. I swore at that time,
              >He wouldn't get me again. I have it as an off line view browser
              >to look at web pages on but wont take it on line again.

              V4 certainly had its problems and I said the same as you, but
              IMO, v5 of IE surpasses Netscape way beyond words and I really
              don't care a lot for MS products. I don't use anything for a
              default browser now though other than NetCaptor which is a shell
              product of IE. Until Opera, NS, IE goes to tabs like NetCaptor
              and NoteTab I won't use any other browser for surfing - NetCaptor
              is a must for NoteTabbers! IE must be installed to use it.
              www.netcaptor.com

            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2001
                Hi,

                Jody wrote:
                >I kind of like the one that was posted a while back by I forget who:

                Enigma? I think it was Stephen. I like it too. Fast but it doesn't feel
                finished. Too early to go paid IMHO.

                I must share my latest finding. K-Meleon. A slimmed Mozilla similar to
                Galeon for Linux - or so they say. I have used it for 3 hours and am pretty
                hooked. It's still *very* Beta, most features don't work, but it does surf
                and surfs fast. If they don't bloat it, this can be good. As far as I have
                noticed it has a good understanding for CSS. The download is less than 3Mb
                compared with IE's 80Mb and the memory used is less than half of what Opera
                uses. It's free - forever. :-)))

                http://www.suttondesigns.com
                http://kmeleon.org/