Re: [NTO] New Drive

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16 6:42 PM
      Hi Jody,

      At 07:38 PM 04/16/2000 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hi Larry
      >
      > > When this new drive boots, it looks for the Windows 98 system
      > > files and registry. If they are not there it just comes up
      > > with a C prompt. If you also copy all of your files from the
      > > old drive including these system files and the registry file to
      > > the new drive after doing this, it will find them and come up
      > > from a boot just the same as your old drive with the full
      > > Windows 98 system setup that you have on your old drive.
      >
      >So, theoretically, this should work from DOS, except I would loose
      >my longfilenames, correct?
      >
      >Copy C\*.* I:\
      >
      >The reason I mention DOS is because I notice that Windows is picky
      >about copying certain system files. Yes, No on a copy, or am I
      >thinking of Delete?

      If you are using an old DOS such as v6.22 or earlier, you will lose long
      file names but if you are using the DOS that comes with Windows 98 you
      should not. You can experiment by copying a few files with long file names
      from one folder to another using DOS and see what happens. Also try
      copying hidden and system files to another folder to see what happens.

      You do not need to create a bootable floppy and I do not think that you
      need to do these two things in a particular order but you do need to do both.

      With your new drive connected to your computer so you can read it from your
      old system:

      1. Use sys.com from a DOS prompt to copy the system files to the new drive
      and to create a Master Boot Record to make it bootable.

      2. Copy all of the rest of the files from your old drive to your new drive
      by what ever method works for you - DOS's copy or xcopy commands or some
      program or utility that you have for doing this. Just make sure that *all*
      of the files are copied over - hidden, system, and otherwise - so that the
      bootup will find them.

      As I said, it does not matter whether you do 1 first and then 2 or 2 first
      and then 1 but you must do both.

      When you are finished you should be able to switch the drives and the new
      drive should boot up ok.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16 11:14 PM
        Hi Larry & Harvey,

        Thanks for the info guys! I'll put it to use.

        Happy Off-Topic'n!

        mailto:NoteTab-OT-Subscribe@...
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2000
          Hi All,

          Thanks for all your input a few weeks ago about swinging my old
          data over to my new drive. Murphy's law prevailed though - if
          anything can go wrong, it will. :) All in all it went pretty
          well though considering xcopy would not allow the /h and /k
          options to copy hidden files and save attributes. A few of the
          folders got truncated as well.

          I ended up having to install Win98SE over the xcopy 'cause I did
          not keel like deleting it, and then after coming up on it did a
          drag drop on everything that I could. Went back into DOS and
          finished partitioning the others drives and then drag/dropped my
          old drives into each of them respectively. Only lost a shortcut
          on my Taskbar and one in my Start menu. All data appears to be
          intact and all my programs that use the system files all work. I
          did back up my registry and reinstalled it just in case.

          mailto:ntb-OffTopic@egroups.com-Subscribe@...