Re: [NTO] Motherboard and Processor PLUS

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hi Jim,

      Thanks for the reply...

      >For appreciable quality and performance the 800Mhz IBM will get your
      >attention as soon as you open the case.

      So, are you saying if I go with a 800Mhz and 526MB that it should
      out perform a 1.1Ghz and 256MB? Or, should I go ahead with the
      latter and at a later date add the 256MB RAM to it?

      >Remember, the fun half is the talking about it and shopping
      >around and spending the money once you have committed.

      Yes, and the putting it together is fun for me too! :) I like
      the thrill of the first boot up and especially if it does not
      work because that means I get to troubleshoot!

      >PS Be sure to get an optical mouse - no more cussing and cleaning
      >encoder wheels.

      I'm always way behind on everything. I just got my first wheel
      mouse about 6 months ago. Give me a year or two on the optical. <g>

    • Doc
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
        At 01:09 PM 3/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A
        >1a/1cnr/5p/3d/ 2usb AZ11-E iNSTOCK with cpu - AMD Thunderbird
        >1.1Ghz 1100Mhz Socket A, 3DNow! (K7) & Heatsink and Cooling Fan
        >Complete Set INSTOCK $ 306 Shipping: Starts Between $12-$15
        >Tufshop.com 888-919-1101
        >
        >It would cost me about $75 more to go with ABit in a comparable
        >MB and the 1.1Ghz. I figured I'd go ahead and get a mid-tower
        >w/300W power supply and it will make it much easier for me that
        >way.

        I'd go ahead and go with the ABit MB Jody, for the reasons we chatted about
        on the phone :)
        I am just paranoid about the FIC because of their mother board specific
        drivers - but my AMD K6-iii 450mhz is sitting on an FIC MB and does fine
        with everything but you know what <HG>
        And the new tower and PS sound like good choices also.
        Doc
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
          Hi Doc,

          >>FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A

          >I'd go ahead and go with the ABit MB Jody, for the reasons we
          >chatted about on the phone :)
          >I am just paranoid about the FIC because of their mother board
          >specific drivers - but my AMD K6-iii 450mhz is sitting on an FIC
          >MB and does fine with everything but you know what <HG>
          >And the new tower and PS sound like good choices also.

          Thank, I'll look into some other boards also, but I believe it
          was your NVidia TNT with the MB causing the problem for you and
          NoteTab. I send the sucker back if it does not work with
          NoteTab. <bg>

          Thanks!
          Jody

          Clean-Funnies: click and send...
          mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
            Jody,

            At 08:57 AM 3/5/01, you wrote:
            >Hi Jim,
            >

            >So, are you saying if I go with a 800Mhz and 526MB that it should
            >out perform a 1.1Ghz and 256MB? Or, should I go ahead with the
            >latter and at a later date add the 256MB RAM to it?

            If I had to make that choice, I'd take the 1.1 Ghz (If I didn't have to
            worry about an overly warm environment) and add more ram later. 256MB will
            be okay for awhile yet.

            Jim