Re: [NTO] Motherboard and Processor

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hi Len,

      >Your selection should make a good base for a mid/high-level
      >system. I found the mid-tower case to be much easier to work in
      >and it will have more ports and bays than a mini-tower.
      >Everything inside will be more accessable and the footprint is
      >only slightly larger than the mini-tower.

      Thanks, and I do have a mid-tower now and like it. It only has 3
      5 1/4" access places, but that is all I need - only use two. :)
      It has two 3.5" also so I am aware of the size of a mid-tower.
      Never has a mini - they just look too small.

    • thefrank
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
        Hey Jody,

        (...don't take any wooden motherboards...)

        "Decay is inherent in all compound things. Strive on with diligence"
        -- Sid

        warm regards,

        tf
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
          Hi thefrank,

          >(...don't take any wooden motherboards...)
          >
          >"Decay is inherent in all compound things. Strive on with diligence"
          >-- Sid

          So, does that mean go with the cheapest and hope for the best?

        • thefrank
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
            Hi Jody,

            > So, does that mean...

            Not at all. Just a (dumb) joke to illustrate that whatever you get
            now will be obsolete and overpriced compared to what you can get in 6
            months (or weeks)...but will still get the work done.

            My AMD-K62 350 still operates faster than I do (as a fellow tabber
            mentioned). I think the difference is the 256mb RAM (also mentioned).

            What mb does AMD recommend for their processors? I use FIC although
            Azuz and Abit get rave reviews. Whichever board you prefer, I suggest
            getting a config to accommodate the most RAM. 20 bucks for another
            slot lets you add another 256 (or better) later on, and in 6 months
            there could be a Terrabyte (or whatever) stick available.

            Note: A techie advised me about 4ply and 2ply RAM boards (the stick
            the RAM chips are fastened to), saying the 2ply sticks do not
            dissipate the heat as well and degrade faster. Pay (a little) extra
            for RAM with a lifetime guarantee (should be 4ply). (I know, it
            sounds like toilet paper...)

            It sure is fun though...

            regards,

            tf
          • Scott Fordin
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
              So true. Buying technology is like putting your foot
              in a stream... The stream is always going to be rushing
              past, but you're just trying to get to the other side
              (hoping to at least not drop your machine in the water
              and electrocute yourself).

              Well, before I torture that metaphor anymore, let me
              just add, FWIW, that I'm currently running an AMD Athlon
              "Thunderbird" at 1Ghz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, and an
              NVidia GeForce 2 MX video card with 32MB RAM. I dual
              boot between Windows 2000 Pro and Red Hat Linux 7, and
              except for the initial trials of getting the appropriate
              drivers for all components and both operating systems,
              things now go swimmingly. I've long been a fan of AMD
              -- three out of the five main machines in the house run
              AMD: the Athlon 1Ghz, a K6-2/300 and a K6-2/500. I think
              AMD simply provides more of the proverbial bang for the
              proverbial buck.

              Back to the stream for a moment: my current machine cost
              me at least three times *less* than what I paid for my
              Gateway 386 or Leading Edge Model "D" oh so many years
              ago. Back when chads were chads, and nerds were really
              nerdy...

              Scott
              "Resist the force before it forces you to resist."

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                Hi thefrank,

                >Not at all. Just a (dumb) joke to illustrate that whatever you
                >get now will be obsolete and overpriced compared to what you can
                >get in 6 months (or weeks)...but will still get the work done.

                OK.

                >My AMD-K62 350 still operates faster than I do (as a fellow
                >tabber mentioned). I think the difference is the 256mb RAM (also
                >mentioned).

                That is the proc I have now. I put in my 256MB today from 128MB
                and don't see any difference just like I did not going from 64 to
                128MB RAM.

                >What mb does AMD recommend for their processors? I use FIC
                >although Azuz and Abit get rave reviews. Whichever board you
                >prefer, I suggest getting a config to accommodate the most RAM.
                >20 bucks for another slot lets you add another 256 (or better)
                >later on, and in 6 months there could be a Terrabyte (or
                >whatever) stick available.

                So, what in the world do I need for speed? I can afford 1.1Ghz
                and perhaps 516MB RAM and might just spend the extra bucks to get
                the Abit or Asus. I want some speed!!! Where is my Win3.11 like
                Sleepless was complaining about. NoteTab still takes 2-3 seconds
                to open with the extra RAM - no difference.

                >Pay (a little) extra for RAM with a lifetime guarantee (should be
                >4ply). (I know, it sounds like toilet paper...)

                hahahaha

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                  Hi Scott and Jim,

                  Thanks much for the 1.1Mhz tip Jim and Doc - that is certainly
                  what I wanted to hear. Now I can tell the wife, but the experts
                  say... haha.

                  >Well, before I torture that metaphor anymore, let me just add,
                  >FWIW, that I'm currently running an AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" at
                  >1Ghz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, and an NVidia GeForce 2 MX video card
                  >with 32MB RAM. I dual boot between Windows 2000 Pro and Red Hat
                  >Linux 7, and except for the initial trials of getting the
                  >appropriate drivers for all components and both operating
                  >systems, things now go swimmingly. I've long been a fan of AMD --
                  >three out of the five main machines in the house run AMD: the
                  >Athlon 1Ghz, a K6-2/300 and a K6-2/500. I think AMD simply
                  >provides more of the proverbial bang for the proverbial buck.

                  Thanks! So, I ought to fare well with a 1.0 or 1.1Ghz (five
                  stars on the 1.1), 256-528MB RAM and any half way decent MB. I'll
                  push for 528MB. Gee, I just bought a 256 stick, so I only need
                  to buy one more and leave the wife and kids with the 128MB, nice
                  guy, eh? :) I'd better get some more for them, but the problem
                  is I don't have anymore room on that/this board for more sticks.
                  They are two 64MB 166pin DIMM/SDRAM PC100 now with no extra slot.
                  I do have the shorter white slots next to them. Uh, will
                  something go in there an be compatible?

                  >Back to the stream for a moment: my current machine cost me at
                  >least three times *less* than what I paid for my Gateway 386 or
                  >Leading Edge Model "D" oh so many years ago. Back when chads were
                  >chads, and nerds were really nerdy...

                  ROFL!!! My first PC was the 486dx80 I had mentioned earlier. I
                  paid, with 14" monitor, over $800.00. For that, one can get a
                  complete screaming system today if built themselves and not a bad
                  Gateway at all with $400.00 rebate if he signs up for MSN or the
                  like totalling about $450.00 for a mid-range computer - HP stuff
                  at that. So, why am I buying an MB and proc for about the same
                  that is just a tad bit better specs than the $450.00? I will pay
                  because I want the joy of the hassles and more learning
                  experience if something should go wrong. Plus, I want complete
                  control, at least as what MS and others will give me, and as much
                  understanding of my machine as I can get. I cannot get that with
                  a ready made system and when you call tech support (after hours
                  and hours of frustration - I live for it BG) they tell you to
                  plug in the rescue CD.

                  Dual boot equals two ways of booting up; same drive or two
                  different drives? I would like to give Linux another try or
                  install WinME but will not on the same drive as Win98SE again.
                  Please reply with new topic if you do on that. tanX.

                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001

                    > So, what in the world do I need for speed? I can afford 1.1Ghz
                    > and perhaps 516MB RAM and might just spend the extra bucks to get
                    > the Abit or Asus. I want some speed!!! Where is my Win3.11 like
                    > Sleepless was complaining about. NoteTab still takes 2-3 seconds
                    > to open with the extra RAM - no difference.
                    >
                    > hahahaha
                    >
                    > Happy Topics,
                    > Jody

                    Hi Jody,

                    Has anyone recommended this site, http://k7v.com It's mostly
                    about ASUS and AMD. Several forums to look at. You might get
                    some ideas about MB's and processors from there.

                    Most of the respondents are serious gamers and, or,
                    overclockers. You can catch some good info on cpu's and periphal
                    cards, and a few other things.

                    hrs
                  • Harvey R. Savage
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Harvey R Savage wrote:
                      > Hi Jody,
                      >
                      > Has anyone recommended this site, http://k7v.com It's mostly
                      > about ASUS and AMD. Several forums to look at. You might get
                      > some ideas about MB's and processors from there.
                      >
                      > Most of the respondents are serious gamers and, or,
                      > overclockers. You can catch some good info on cpu's and periphal
                      > cards, and a few other things.

                      Hi Jody,

                      PERIPHERAL is the word I was looking for. Somehow it got past my
                      spell checker, I don't know how.

                      hrs
                    • thefrank
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                        Hi Jody,

                        The RAM thingy:

                        More RAM becomes noticeable to me when I have many apps open at the
                        same time and am doing work in all.

                        Typically, during my work routine, I will have 2 or 3 NoteTabPros
                        (each with different filesets of 10 to 30 files, clipbooks and
                        clipbars), MSWord, Excel, Xara, WS_FTP, SecureCRT (telnet), XnView,
                        GifAnimator, and maybe 4 browsers all open and working at the same
                        time. No hiccups, no waiting. They are all loaded into, and operate
                        from RAM!

                        A (good) rule of thumb is when you have alot open and try to do
                        something, if you hear (or see: blink, blink) your hard drive getting
                        hit during your work just to process the task, then more RAM will
                        definitely help. RAM is faster, it doesn't spin and wear out (like a
                        hd), and right now its cheap.

                        Having the RAM to do the work saves wear and tear on the hd. After
                        the apps are open you should not need the hd for anything but storage.

                        The *smaller slots* thingy:

                        On one of my systems the board has 2 DIMM slots and 4 EDO SIMM slots.
                        The board book says in BOLD print to use one type or the other, but
                        NOT to mix. So...I mixed (of course) just to see. The difference I
                        noticed is that all the RAM runs at the slower (EDO) speed, which is
                        still a thousand times faster that the hd and a zillion times faster
                        than I can type. Been working fine for 2 years now...

                        regards,

                        tf
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                          Hi thefrank,

                          Thanks for the link Harvey - I certainly see there is support. :)

                          >More RAM becomes noticeable to me when I have many apps open at the
                          >same time and am doing work in all.
                          >Having the RAM to do the work saves wear and tear on the hd.
                          >After the apps are open you should not need the hd for anything
                          >but storage.

                          Uh, well, duh! What can I say. Thanks. I check my RAM quite a
                          bit at times especially when running slow and know exactly what
                          you are talking about. I use a small utility called AppBar
                          (freeware) that I keep on top in autohide. I use it to launch
                          programs with. It is completely configurable and is nothing more
                          than a menu bar. You make your main menu: Apps, Image, Browsers,
                          Fookes, etc. and then underneath them you add your programs.
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/appbar.zip Anyway, it has a resource
                          meter on it.

                          >The *smaller slots* thingy:
                          >
                          >On one of my systems the board has 2 DIMM slots and 4 EDO SIMM
                          >slots. The board book says in BOLD print to use one type or the
                          >other, but NOT to mix. So...I mixed (of course) just to see. The
                          >difference I noticed is that all the RAM runs at the slower (EDO)
                          >speed, which is still a thousand times faster that the hd and a
                          >zillion times faster than I can type. Been working fine for 2
                          >years now...

                          Hey, hey - my kind of guy! <bg> I figured it was one or the other,
                          but too lazy to pull out the specs.

                        • Scott Fordin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                            At 22:03 3/5/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                            >Dual boot equals two ways of booting up; same drive or two
                            >different drives? I would like to give Linux another try or
                            >install WinME but will not on the same drive as Win98SE again.
                            >Please reply with new topic if you do on that. tanX.

                            PartitionMagic and BootMagic do all the, er, magic for me.
                            I've had it configured both ways: both operating systems
                            in their own partitions on the same drive or, currently,
                            W2K on one drive and Linux on the other. In all cases, both
                            operating systems are accessing both drives. I use the same
                            data directories for everything. For a while I was *triple*
                            booting between Windows 98, NT 4.0, and Caldera Linux, each
                            in its own partition. The main catch is that each operating
                            system can be picky in terms of where its boot loader is
                            installed on the disk. The good news is that PartitionMagic
                            handles all of this nastiness with aplomb.

                            BTW, from everything I've read, I would avoid WinME like the
                            plague. Go right to Win2K instead (but buy Win2K at auction
                            or suchlike to get a good price).

                            Scott
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 6, 2001
                              Hi Scott,

                              Thanks for the info. I couldn't even get PQMagic to read my
                              drives when I tried installing Linux. I had more headaches with
                              that Mandrake 4.72 load than 5 years of PC'n and don't wish that
                              on anybody. It will probably be a very long time till I try
                              installing it again and then it will be on its own drive. I
                              think I agree with you about WinME, but then I heard Win2000 is a
                              bit hard to get going and harder to use. I'm pretty happy with
                              Win98SE so might just hang around till I'm forced by the industry
                              changes to upgrade.