Re: [NTO] Motherboard and Processor

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 4, 2001
      Hi Len, Forrest, Carl, Harvey, et al;

      Any objections? ;)

      FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A
      1a/1cnr/5p/3d/ 2usb AZ11-E iNSTOCK with cpu - AMD Thunderbird
      1.1Ghz 1100Mhz Socket A, 3DNow! (K7) & Heatsink and Cooling Fan
      Complete Set INSTOCK $ 306 Shipping: Starts Between $12-$15
      Tufshop.com 888-919-1101

      It would cost me about $75 more to go with ABit in a comparable
      MB and the 1.1Ghz. I figured I'd go ahead and get a mid-tower
      w/300W power supply and it will make it much easier for me that
      way.

    • Len
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
        Hi Jody;

        Your selection should make a good base for a mid/high-level system. I found the mid-tower case to be much easier to work in and it will have more ports and bays than a mini-tower. Everything inside will be more accessable and the footprint is only slightly larger than the mini-tower.

        Have fun, Len

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
          Hi Len,

          >Your selection should make a good base for a mid/high-level
          >system. I found the mid-tower case to be much easier to work in
          >and it will have more ports and bays than a mini-tower.
          >Everything inside will be more accessable and the footprint is
          >only slightly larger than the mini-tower.

          Thanks, and I do have a mid-tower now and like it. It only has 3
          5 1/4" access places, but that is all I need - only use two. :)
          It has two 3.5" also so I am aware of the size of a mid-tower.
          Never has a mini - they just look too small.

        • thefrank
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
            Hey Jody,

            (...don't take any wooden motherboards...)

            "Decay is inherent in all compound things. Strive on with diligence"
            -- Sid

            warm regards,

            tf
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
              Hi thefrank,

              >(...don't take any wooden motherboards...)
              >
              >"Decay is inherent in all compound things. Strive on with diligence"
              >-- Sid

              So, does that mean go with the cheapest and hope for the best?

            • thefrank
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                Hi Jody,

                > So, does that mean...

                Not at all. Just a (dumb) joke to illustrate that whatever you get
                now will be obsolete and overpriced compared to what you can get in 6
                months (or weeks)...but will still get the work done.

                My AMD-K62 350 still operates faster than I do (as a fellow tabber
                mentioned). I think the difference is the 256mb RAM (also mentioned).

                What mb does AMD recommend for their processors? I use FIC although
                Azuz and Abit get rave reviews. Whichever board you prefer, I suggest
                getting a config to accommodate the most RAM. 20 bucks for another
                slot lets you add another 256 (or better) later on, and in 6 months
                there could be a Terrabyte (or whatever) stick available.

                Note: A techie advised me about 4ply and 2ply RAM boards (the stick
                the RAM chips are fastened to), saying the 2ply sticks do not
                dissipate the heat as well and degrade faster. Pay (a little) extra
                for RAM with a lifetime guarantee (should be 4ply). (I know, it
                sounds like toilet paper...)

                It sure is fun though...

                regards,

                tf
              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                  So true. Buying technology is like putting your foot
                  in a stream... The stream is always going to be rushing
                  past, but you're just trying to get to the other side
                  (hoping to at least not drop your machine in the water
                  and electrocute yourself).

                  Well, before I torture that metaphor anymore, let me
                  just add, FWIW, that I'm currently running an AMD Athlon
                  "Thunderbird" at 1Ghz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, and an
                  NVidia GeForce 2 MX video card with 32MB RAM. I dual
                  boot between Windows 2000 Pro and Red Hat Linux 7, and
                  except for the initial trials of getting the appropriate
                  drivers for all components and both operating systems,
                  things now go swimmingly. I've long been a fan of AMD
                  -- three out of the five main machines in the house run
                  AMD: the Athlon 1Ghz, a K6-2/300 and a K6-2/500. I think
                  AMD simply provides more of the proverbial bang for the
                  proverbial buck.

                  Back to the stream for a moment: my current machine cost
                  me at least three times *less* than what I paid for my
                  Gateway 386 or Leading Edge Model "D" oh so many years
                  ago. Back when chads were chads, and nerds were really
                  nerdy...

                  Scott
                  "Resist the force before it forces you to resist."

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                    Hi thefrank,

                    >Not at all. Just a (dumb) joke to illustrate that whatever you
                    >get now will be obsolete and overpriced compared to what you can
                    >get in 6 months (or weeks)...but will still get the work done.

                    OK.

                    >My AMD-K62 350 still operates faster than I do (as a fellow
                    >tabber mentioned). I think the difference is the 256mb RAM (also
                    >mentioned).

                    That is the proc I have now. I put in my 256MB today from 128MB
                    and don't see any difference just like I did not going from 64 to
                    128MB RAM.

                    >What mb does AMD recommend for their processors? I use FIC
                    >although Azuz and Abit get rave reviews. Whichever board you
                    >prefer, I suggest getting a config to accommodate the most RAM.
                    >20 bucks for another slot lets you add another 256 (or better)
                    >later on, and in 6 months there could be a Terrabyte (or
                    >whatever) stick available.

                    So, what in the world do I need for speed? I can afford 1.1Ghz
                    and perhaps 516MB RAM and might just spend the extra bucks to get
                    the Abit or Asus. I want some speed!!! Where is my Win3.11 like
                    Sleepless was complaining about. NoteTab still takes 2-3 seconds
                    to open with the extra RAM - no difference.

                    >Pay (a little) extra for RAM with a lifetime guarantee (should be
                    >4ply). (I know, it sounds like toilet paper...)

                    hahahaha

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Hi Scott and Jim,

                      Thanks much for the 1.1Mhz tip Jim and Doc - that is certainly
                      what I wanted to hear. Now I can tell the wife, but the experts
                      say... haha.

                      >Well, before I torture that metaphor anymore, let me just add,
                      >FWIW, that I'm currently running an AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" at
                      >1Ghz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, and an NVidia GeForce 2 MX video card
                      >with 32MB RAM. I dual boot between Windows 2000 Pro and Red Hat
                      >Linux 7, and except for the initial trials of getting the
                      >appropriate drivers for all components and both operating
                      >systems, things now go swimmingly. I've long been a fan of AMD --
                      >three out of the five main machines in the house run AMD: the
                      >Athlon 1Ghz, a K6-2/300 and a K6-2/500. I think AMD simply
                      >provides more of the proverbial bang for the proverbial buck.

                      Thanks! So, I ought to fare well with a 1.0 or 1.1Ghz (five
                      stars on the 1.1), 256-528MB RAM and any half way decent MB. I'll
                      push for 528MB. Gee, I just bought a 256 stick, so I only need
                      to buy one more and leave the wife and kids with the 128MB, nice
                      guy, eh? :) I'd better get some more for them, but the problem
                      is I don't have anymore room on that/this board for more sticks.
                      They are two 64MB 166pin DIMM/SDRAM PC100 now with no extra slot.
                      I do have the shorter white slots next to them. Uh, will
                      something go in there an be compatible?

                      >Back to the stream for a moment: my current machine cost me at
                      >least three times *less* than what I paid for my Gateway 386 or
                      >Leading Edge Model "D" oh so many years ago. Back when chads were
                      >chads, and nerds were really nerdy...

                      ROFL!!! My first PC was the 486dx80 I had mentioned earlier. I
                      paid, with 14" monitor, over $800.00. For that, one can get a
                      complete screaming system today if built themselves and not a bad
                      Gateway at all with $400.00 rebate if he signs up for MSN or the
                      like totalling about $450.00 for a mid-range computer - HP stuff
                      at that. So, why am I buying an MB and proc for about the same
                      that is just a tad bit better specs than the $450.00? I will pay
                      because I want the joy of the hassles and more learning
                      experience if something should go wrong. Plus, I want complete
                      control, at least as what MS and others will give me, and as much
                      understanding of my machine as I can get. I cannot get that with
                      a ready made system and when you call tech support (after hours
                      and hours of frustration - I live for it BG) they tell you to
                      plug in the rescue CD.

                      Dual boot equals two ways of booting up; same drive or two
                      different drives? I would like to give Linux another try or
                      install WinME but will not on the same drive as Win98SE again.
                      Please reply with new topic if you do on that. tanX.

                    • Harvey R. Savage
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001

                        > So, what in the world do I need for speed? I can afford 1.1Ghz
                        > and perhaps 516MB RAM and might just spend the extra bucks to get
                        > the Abit or Asus. I want some speed!!! Where is my Win3.11 like
                        > Sleepless was complaining about. NoteTab still takes 2-3 seconds
                        > to open with the extra RAM - no difference.
                        >
                        > hahahaha
                        >
                        > Happy Topics,
                        > Jody

                        Hi Jody,

                        Has anyone recommended this site, http://k7v.com It's mostly
                        about ASUS and AMD. Several forums to look at. You might get
                        some ideas about MB's and processors from there.

                        Most of the respondents are serious gamers and, or,
                        overclockers. You can catch some good info on cpu's and periphal
                        cards, and a few other things.

                        hrs
                      • Harvey R. Savage
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                          Harvey R Savage wrote:
                          > Hi Jody,
                          >
                          > Has anyone recommended this site, http://k7v.com It's mostly
                          > about ASUS and AMD. Several forums to look at. You might get
                          > some ideas about MB's and processors from there.
                          >
                          > Most of the respondents are serious gamers and, or,
                          > overclockers. You can catch some good info on cpu's and periphal
                          > cards, and a few other things.

                          Hi Jody,

                          PERIPHERAL is the word I was looking for. Somehow it got past my
                          spell checker, I don't know how.

                          hrs
                        • thefrank
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                            Hi Jody,

                            The RAM thingy:

                            More RAM becomes noticeable to me when I have many apps open at the
                            same time and am doing work in all.

                            Typically, during my work routine, I will have 2 or 3 NoteTabPros
                            (each with different filesets of 10 to 30 files, clipbooks and
                            clipbars), MSWord, Excel, Xara, WS_FTP, SecureCRT (telnet), XnView,
                            GifAnimator, and maybe 4 browsers all open and working at the same
                            time. No hiccups, no waiting. They are all loaded into, and operate
                            from RAM!

                            A (good) rule of thumb is when you have alot open and try to do
                            something, if you hear (or see: blink, blink) your hard drive getting
                            hit during your work just to process the task, then more RAM will
                            definitely help. RAM is faster, it doesn't spin and wear out (like a
                            hd), and right now its cheap.

                            Having the RAM to do the work saves wear and tear on the hd. After
                            the apps are open you should not need the hd for anything but storage.

                            The *smaller slots* thingy:

                            On one of my systems the board has 2 DIMM slots and 4 EDO SIMM slots.
                            The board book says in BOLD print to use one type or the other, but
                            NOT to mix. So...I mixed (of course) just to see. The difference I
                            noticed is that all the RAM runs at the slower (EDO) speed, which is
                            still a thousand times faster that the hd and a zillion times faster
                            than I can type. Been working fine for 2 years now...

                            regards,

                            tf
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                              Hi thefrank,

                              Thanks for the link Harvey - I certainly see there is support. :)

                              >More RAM becomes noticeable to me when I have many apps open at the
                              >same time and am doing work in all.
                              >Having the RAM to do the work saves wear and tear on the hd.
                              >After the apps are open you should not need the hd for anything
                              >but storage.

                              Uh, well, duh! What can I say. Thanks. I check my RAM quite a
                              bit at times especially when running slow and know exactly what
                              you are talking about. I use a small utility called AppBar
                              (freeware) that I keep on top in autohide. I use it to launch
                              programs with. It is completely configurable and is nothing more
                              than a menu bar. You make your main menu: Apps, Image, Browsers,
                              Fookes, etc. and then underneath them you add your programs.
                              http://www.notetab.net/zip/appbar.zip Anyway, it has a resource
                              meter on it.

                              >The *smaller slots* thingy:
                              >
                              >On one of my systems the board has 2 DIMM slots and 4 EDO SIMM
                              >slots. The board book says in BOLD print to use one type or the
                              >other, but NOT to mix. So...I mixed (of course) just to see. The
                              >difference I noticed is that all the RAM runs at the slower (EDO)
                              >speed, which is still a thousand times faster that the hd and a
                              >zillion times faster than I can type. Been working fine for 2
                              >years now...

                              Hey, hey - my kind of guy! <bg> I figured it was one or the other,
                              but too lazy to pull out the specs.

                            • Scott Fordin
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                                At 22:03 3/5/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                                >Dual boot equals two ways of booting up; same drive or two
                                >different drives? I would like to give Linux another try or
                                >install WinME but will not on the same drive as Win98SE again.
                                >Please reply with new topic if you do on that. tanX.

                                PartitionMagic and BootMagic do all the, er, magic for me.
                                I've had it configured both ways: both operating systems
                                in their own partitions on the same drive or, currently,
                                W2K on one drive and Linux on the other. In all cases, both
                                operating systems are accessing both drives. I use the same
                                data directories for everything. For a while I was *triple*
                                booting between Windows 98, NT 4.0, and Caldera Linux, each
                                in its own partition. The main catch is that each operating
                                system can be picky in terms of where its boot loader is
                                installed on the disk. The good news is that PartitionMagic
                                handles all of this nastiness with aplomb.

                                BTW, from everything I've read, I would avoid WinME like the
                                plague. Go right to Win2K instead (but buy Win2K at auction
                                or suchlike to get a good price).

                                Scott
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 6, 2001
                                  Hi Scott,

                                  Thanks for the info. I couldn't even get PQMagic to read my
                                  drives when I tried installing Linux. I had more headaches with
                                  that Mandrake 4.72 load than 5 years of PC'n and don't wish that
                                  on anybody. It will probably be a very long time till I try
                                  installing it again and then it will be on its own drive. I
                                  think I agree with you about WinME, but then I heard Win2000 is a
                                  bit hard to get going and harder to use. I'm pretty happy with
                                  Win98SE so might just hang around till I'm forced by the industry
                                  changes to upgrade.