Re: [NTO] Motherboard and Processor

  • Forrest
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
      Carl Swann wrote:
      >I've heard the Duron is sorta the "Celeron" of the
      >AMD line and is best avoided.

      Though neither the current Celeron or the Duron are junk:

      http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1261&p=18
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
        Jody wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Sorry about the long post, but I need some professional help from you. ;)
        >
        > but it appears
        > that I want a
        > socket A

        Any suggestions?

        > It seems a lot of MBs want to put a lot of stuff on board like sound.
        > Do I *really* want that?

        > Should I go with name brand and if so, what are a few?
        > It seems if I go with a CPU/MB combo I can save a
        > few bucks, maybe. (I think I need an ISA on board, but not
        > sure.) I do need USB support.

        Hi Jody,

        The AMD Duron (socket A) is, from the reports is good, just be
        sure you get a really good cpu cooling fan/heatsink.

        The built in sound and video will probably do the job and save a
        few dollars, at least temporarily, unless you have special
        requirements. It can be disabled in CMOS if you upgrade sound
        and video. I think it's hard to find a newer MB without these
        built in.

        If you haven't done so already I suggest you check out
        http://www.tomshardware.com/ for information. You might find out
        what to avoid, what works best, lots of information, and more
        prices of the equipment.

        I don't know why you need an ISA slot other than a stand-alone
        modem or some dated equipment but my MB doesn't have one and I
        wish it did. Without the ISA slot, at least when I bought mine,
        you are stuck with a WinModem which, IMO doesn't perform as wall
        as a stand-alone.

        hrs
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
          Hi All,

          >> Should I go with name brand and if so, what are a few?
          >> It seems if I go with a CPU/MB combo I can save a
          >> few bucks, maybe. (I think I need an ISA on board, but not
          >> sure.) I do need USB support.

          >http://www.tomshardware.com/

          Thanks for all the info. I probably should have sent some more
          of what hardware, etc. I have so there wasn't as much guessing
          done. I did get the information I needed from you all though to
          make an intelligent choice. I mainly needed to know what not to
          get and what some of the brands are they are normally considered
          good.

          I have a lot of cards, some fairly new and some old. My existing
          MB will go to the other computer. I will need to buy the ATX
          tower which I was thinking on doing anyway. It is much cheaper
          for me to buy that than it is to buy a whole new computer, plus
          it takes all the fun out of it. ;) It is not that I don't know
          anything and my profession which I can't work anymore was a
          hardware tech in the broad sense so I enjoy building PCs. Plus,
          methinks if one builds himself, he has a better understanding of
          his own machine and it is easier to troubleshoot that way...

          I will wait for Jim Hall to post if he is still on the list to
          see if he can add any thing, especially about the 700MHz running
          better than say a 900MHz. The 1GHz was probably more of wishful
          thinking. <g> I suppose if I just get the board to go up that
          high I can always upgrade as they get cheaper and more stable
          then pass the other off on the kids. ;)

          Thanks again! OH, methinks my 56 modem is ISA, well, I know it
          is. ;) I know about the AGP, PCI, etc. The problem is getting
          all the stuff I want as far as slots and CPU on one board at the
          price I like. ;) It is that ISA that is bumping it up about
          $100.00. I'm I'll probably rebuild the 486 board with Win95 on
          it for testing Fookes Software. ;) ...and perhaps to help keep
          the kids from fighting. <g>

        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
            Jody et al,

            At 01:04 PM 3/4/01, you wrote:
            >I will wait for Jim Hall to post if he is still on the list to
            >see if he can add any thing, especially about the 700MHz running
            >better than say a 900MHz. The 1GHz was probably more of wishful
            >thinking. <g> I suppose if I just get the board to go up that
            >high I can always upgrade as they get cheaper and more stable
            >then pass the other off on the kids. ;)

            Just a few thoughts on my way out the door.

            For the most part today, I don't think it makes that much "NOTICEABLE"
            difference in overall performance whether you go with AMD or Intel, one
            motherboard or another.

            Plan on spending $1000 - $3000 to put together a good and complete system
            depending on your preferences. Remember that a 21" monitor and a laserjet
            printer cost more than any 5 Motherboards out there. Most of the expense in
            a system is in peripherals, not the CPU and motherboard (I consider the CPU
            and MB to be expendables which have to be replaced every couple of years
            but I want my printer and monitor to last a few more)

            Put your major money into those areas that you use, mainly the monitor,
            mouse, cdwriter, printer. If you print hundreds of letters, then get a
            laserjet printer, if you print lots of color graphics then get an inkjet
            (or maybe you need both - I do). Most people don't have the need for an E
            size plotter but a good one costs more than 3 computers and in essence is
            just a big printer.

            With anything above 500mhz for the most part the Computer will be waiting
            on you more than you will be waiting on it and you probably won't notice
            the difference between 600mhz and 800mhz other than on the benchmark tests.

            If you are doing lots of number crunching (ie big cad files, gaming, or
            major graphics type work) then the processor speed will be noticeable,
            otherwise you will gain more "NOTICEABLE" speed by adding ram, up to 512MB
            (today) and faster peripherals.

            The faster the processor the more that temperature stability (environmental
            control) becomes a problem.

            On my main machine I am running an I-Will MB (~$120-$150) which has all of
            the bells and whistles for the advocate and easy access for the novice. It
            just happened to be the MB that came in the bundle that I bought on sale
            and I can't complain about how well it works.

            If I replaced it, it would be with an Intel simply because Intel boards are
            tested with Intel CPU's by the people who make them and who have the inside
            scoop on Intel's strengths and weaknesses and I personally prefer Intel to
            AMD. (I'm not trying to start as war here, it is just my personal
            preference, I know many people who are running AMD and are quite happy with
            it. BTW, I'm also from Ford truck country <g> and yes I've had some Chevies
            too.)

            Usually I don't go with brand name readymades but as far as Bang for Buck
            goes, I have recently recommended the "e-machine" to several people. For a
            plug and play 500MB Plus machine you pay about $500 for you can't get much
            better performance (if you add 128MB of RAM) for the dollar. Of course you
            do have to spend a few minutes getting rid of all of the advertising on the
            desktop <g>.

            For appreciable quality and performance the 800Mhz IBM will get your
            attention as soon as you open the case.

            I wouldn't buy one for myself but it is a sweet machine for a readymade
            (and obviously more expensive).

            Finally, the major differences in buying a readymade and putting a system
            together yourself is who has responsibility for system integration and
            coping with peripheral incompatibilities. Also, if you build the system
            yourself, you have all of the documentation and driver disks for your
            peripherals, where a readymade usually just comes with an "unuseable" users
            manual and a "System" disk set.

            The people who offer readymade systems have usually resolved the peripheral
            incompatibility problems for you and if you have a problem in this area
            yourself, it can be a real pain to resolve and can be a little expensive if
            you have to keep taking things back and exchanging them (this is not the
            problem it used to be).

            Remember, the fun half is the talking about it and shopping around and
            spending the money once you have committed. The formatting and copying
            files is the same on all of them.

            Just my thoughts,

            Jim

            PS Be sure to get an optical mouse - no more cussing and cleaning encoder
            wheels.
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
              Hi Jim,

              Thanks for the reply...

              >For appreciable quality and performance the 800Mhz IBM will get your
              >attention as soon as you open the case.

              So, are you saying if I go with a 800Mhz and 526MB that it should
              out perform a 1.1Ghz and 256MB? Or, should I go ahead with the
              latter and at a later date add the 256MB RAM to it?

              >Remember, the fun half is the talking about it and shopping
              >around and spending the money once you have committed.

              Yes, and the putting it together is fun for me too! :) I like
              the thrill of the first boot up and especially if it does not
              work because that means I get to troubleshoot!

              >PS Be sure to get an optical mouse - no more cussing and cleaning
              >encoder wheels.

              I'm always way behind on everything. I just got my first wheel
              mouse about 6 months ago. Give me a year or two on the optical. <g>

            • Doc
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                At 01:09 PM 3/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                >FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A
                >1a/1cnr/5p/3d/ 2usb AZ11-E iNSTOCK with cpu - AMD Thunderbird
                >1.1Ghz 1100Mhz Socket A, 3DNow! (K7) & Heatsink and Cooling Fan
                >Complete Set INSTOCK $ 306 Shipping: Starts Between $12-$15
                >Tufshop.com 888-919-1101
                >
                >It would cost me about $75 more to go with ABit in a comparable
                >MB and the 1.1Ghz. I figured I'd go ahead and get a mid-tower
                >w/300W power supply and it will make it much easier for me that
                >way.

                I'd go ahead and go with the ABit MB Jody, for the reasons we chatted about
                on the phone :)
                I am just paranoid about the FIC because of their mother board specific
                drivers - but my AMD K6-iii 450mhz is sitting on an FIC MB and does fine
                with everything but you know what <HG>
                And the new tower and PS sound like good choices also.
                Doc
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                  Hi Doc,

                  >>FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A

                  >I'd go ahead and go with the ABit MB Jody, for the reasons we
                  >chatted about on the phone :)
                  >I am just paranoid about the FIC because of their mother board
                  >specific drivers - but my AMD K6-iii 450mhz is sitting on an FIC
                  >MB and does fine with everything but you know what <HG>
                  >And the new tower and PS sound like good choices also.

                  Thank, I'll look into some other boards also, but I believe it
                  was your NVidia TNT with the MB causing the problem for you and
                  NoteTab. I send the sucker back if it does not work with
                  NoteTab. <bg>

                  Thanks!
                  Jody

                  Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                  mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                    Jody,

                    At 08:57 AM 3/5/01, you wrote:
                    >Hi Jim,
                    >

                    >So, are you saying if I go with a 800Mhz and 526MB that it should
                    >out perform a 1.1Ghz and 256MB? Or, should I go ahead with the
                    >latter and at a later date add the 256MB RAM to it?

                    If I had to make that choice, I'd take the 1.1 Ghz (If I didn't have to
                    worry about an overly warm environment) and add more ram later. 256MB will
                    be okay for awhile yet.

                    Jim