Re: [NTO] Motherboard and Processor

  • Forrest
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
      Amptron and PC Chips products are famous for their poor quality.

      You probably won't go wrong with FIC or Gigabyte; here's a pointer to
      AnandTech's Socket A mobo reviews:

      http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1427&p=4
    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
        Hi Jodster - I'm not a computer guru/geek like many on the list
        <grin>; however, I bought my son a computer that features AMD Athlon
        K7 Thunderbird 700Mhz on a 200mHz motherboard with 128MB RAM, and that
        baby screams! FWIW, I've heard the Duron is sorta the "Celeron" of the
        AMD line and is best avoided. The K7 Thunderbird has surpassed the
        Pentium 3 in most side-by-side speed tests that I've read or seen on
        ZDTV.

        It's made me a believer in AMD, for sho'!

        I think I'll follow your lead and get me another 128MB RAM for my
        machine, from Crucial. I looked at their prices, and one would have to
        be crazy not to load up!

        Thanks, Bro!

        oOOo-(_)-oOOo
      • Forrest
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
          Carl Swann wrote:
          >I've heard the Duron is sorta the "Celeron" of the
          >AMD line and is best avoided.

          Though neither the current Celeron or the Duron are junk:

          http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1261&p=18
        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
            Jody wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Sorry about the long post, but I need some professional help from you. ;)
            >
            > but it appears
            > that I want a
            > socket A

            Any suggestions?

            > It seems a lot of MBs want to put a lot of stuff on board like sound.
            > Do I *really* want that?

            > Should I go with name brand and if so, what are a few?
            > It seems if I go with a CPU/MB combo I can save a
            > few bucks, maybe. (I think I need an ISA on board, but not
            > sure.) I do need USB support.

            Hi Jody,

            The AMD Duron (socket A) is, from the reports is good, just be
            sure you get a really good cpu cooling fan/heatsink.

            The built in sound and video will probably do the job and save a
            few dollars, at least temporarily, unless you have special
            requirements. It can be disabled in CMOS if you upgrade sound
            and video. I think it's hard to find a newer MB without these
            built in.

            If you haven't done so already I suggest you check out
            http://www.tomshardware.com/ for information. You might find out
            what to avoid, what works best, lots of information, and more
            prices of the equipment.

            I don't know why you need an ISA slot other than a stand-alone
            modem or some dated equipment but my MB doesn't have one and I
            wish it did. Without the ISA slot, at least when I bought mine,
            you are stuck with a WinModem which, IMO doesn't perform as wall
            as a stand-alone.

            hrs
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2001
              Hi All,

              >> Should I go with name brand and if so, what are a few?
              >> It seems if I go with a CPU/MB combo I can save a
              >> few bucks, maybe. (I think I need an ISA on board, but not
              >> sure.) I do need USB support.

              >http://www.tomshardware.com/

              Thanks for all the info. I probably should have sent some more
              of what hardware, etc. I have so there wasn't as much guessing
              done. I did get the information I needed from you all though to
              make an intelligent choice. I mainly needed to know what not to
              get and what some of the brands are they are normally considered
              good.

              I have a lot of cards, some fairly new and some old. My existing
              MB will go to the other computer. I will need to buy the ATX
              tower which I was thinking on doing anyway. It is much cheaper
              for me to buy that than it is to buy a whole new computer, plus
              it takes all the fun out of it. ;) It is not that I don't know
              anything and my profession which I can't work anymore was a
              hardware tech in the broad sense so I enjoy building PCs. Plus,
              methinks if one builds himself, he has a better understanding of
              his own machine and it is easier to troubleshoot that way...

              I will wait for Jim Hall to post if he is still on the list to
              see if he can add any thing, especially about the 700MHz running
              better than say a 900MHz. The 1GHz was probably more of wishful
              thinking. <g> I suppose if I just get the board to go up that
              high I can always upgrade as they get cheaper and more stable
              then pass the other off on the kids. ;)

              Thanks again! OH, methinks my 56 modem is ISA, well, I know it
              is. ;) I know about the AGP, PCI, etc. The problem is getting
              all the stuff I want as far as slots and CPU on one board at the
              price I like. ;) It is that ISA that is bumping it up about
              $100.00. I'm I'll probably rebuild the 486 board with Win95 on
              it for testing Fookes Software. ;) ...and perhaps to help keep
              the kids from fighting. <g>

            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                Jody et al,

                At 01:04 PM 3/4/01, you wrote:
                >I will wait for Jim Hall to post if he is still on the list to
                >see if he can add any thing, especially about the 700MHz running
                >better than say a 900MHz. The 1GHz was probably more of wishful
                >thinking. <g> I suppose if I just get the board to go up that
                >high I can always upgrade as they get cheaper and more stable
                >then pass the other off on the kids. ;)

                Just a few thoughts on my way out the door.

                For the most part today, I don't think it makes that much "NOTICEABLE"
                difference in overall performance whether you go with AMD or Intel, one
                motherboard or another.

                Plan on spending $1000 - $3000 to put together a good and complete system
                depending on your preferences. Remember that a 21" monitor and a laserjet
                printer cost more than any 5 Motherboards out there. Most of the expense in
                a system is in peripherals, not the CPU and motherboard (I consider the CPU
                and MB to be expendables which have to be replaced every couple of years
                but I want my printer and monitor to last a few more)

                Put your major money into those areas that you use, mainly the monitor,
                mouse, cdwriter, printer. If you print hundreds of letters, then get a
                laserjet printer, if you print lots of color graphics then get an inkjet
                (or maybe you need both - I do). Most people don't have the need for an E
                size plotter but a good one costs more than 3 computers and in essence is
                just a big printer.

                With anything above 500mhz for the most part the Computer will be waiting
                on you more than you will be waiting on it and you probably won't notice
                the difference between 600mhz and 800mhz other than on the benchmark tests.

                If you are doing lots of number crunching (ie big cad files, gaming, or
                major graphics type work) then the processor speed will be noticeable,
                otherwise you will gain more "NOTICEABLE" speed by adding ram, up to 512MB
                (today) and faster peripherals.

                The faster the processor the more that temperature stability (environmental
                control) becomes a problem.

                On my main machine I am running an I-Will MB (~$120-$150) which has all of
                the bells and whistles for the advocate and easy access for the novice. It
                just happened to be the MB that came in the bundle that I bought on sale
                and I can't complain about how well it works.

                If I replaced it, it would be with an Intel simply because Intel boards are
                tested with Intel CPU's by the people who make them and who have the inside
                scoop on Intel's strengths and weaknesses and I personally prefer Intel to
                AMD. (I'm not trying to start as war here, it is just my personal
                preference, I know many people who are running AMD and are quite happy with
                it. BTW, I'm also from Ford truck country <g> and yes I've had some Chevies
                too.)

                Usually I don't go with brand name readymades but as far as Bang for Buck
                goes, I have recently recommended the "e-machine" to several people. For a
                plug and play 500MB Plus machine you pay about $500 for you can't get much
                better performance (if you add 128MB of RAM) for the dollar. Of course you
                do have to spend a few minutes getting rid of all of the advertising on the
                desktop <g>.

                For appreciable quality and performance the 800Mhz IBM will get your
                attention as soon as you open the case.

                I wouldn't buy one for myself but it is a sweet machine for a readymade
                (and obviously more expensive).

                Finally, the major differences in buying a readymade and putting a system
                together yourself is who has responsibility for system integration and
                coping with peripheral incompatibilities. Also, if you build the system
                yourself, you have all of the documentation and driver disks for your
                peripherals, where a readymade usually just comes with an "unuseable" users
                manual and a "System" disk set.

                The people who offer readymade systems have usually resolved the peripheral
                incompatibility problems for you and if you have a problem in this area
                yourself, it can be a real pain to resolve and can be a little expensive if
                you have to keep taking things back and exchanging them (this is not the
                problem it used to be).

                Remember, the fun half is the talking about it and shopping around and
                spending the money once you have committed. The formatting and copying
                files is the same on all of them.

                Just my thoughts,

                Jim

                PS Be sure to get an optical mouse - no more cussing and cleaning encoder
                wheels.
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                  Hi Jim,

                  Thanks for the reply...

                  >For appreciable quality and performance the 800Mhz IBM will get your
                  >attention as soon as you open the case.

                  So, are you saying if I go with a 800Mhz and 526MB that it should
                  out perform a 1.1Ghz and 256MB? Or, should I go ahead with the
                  latter and at a later date add the 256MB RAM to it?

                  >Remember, the fun half is the talking about it and shopping
                  >around and spending the money once you have committed.

                  Yes, and the putting it together is fun for me too! :) I like
                  the thrill of the first boot up and especially if it does not
                  work because that means I get to troubleshoot!

                  >PS Be sure to get an optical mouse - no more cussing and cleaning
                  >encoder wheels.

                  I'm always way behind on everything. I just got my first wheel
                  mouse about 6 months ago. Give me a year or two on the optical. <g>

                • Doc
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                    At 01:09 PM 3/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                    >FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A
                    >1a/1cnr/5p/3d/ 2usb AZ11-E iNSTOCK with cpu - AMD Thunderbird
                    >1.1Ghz 1100Mhz Socket A, 3DNow! (K7) & Heatsink and Cooling Fan
                    >Complete Set INSTOCK $ 306 Shipping: Starts Between $12-$15
                    >Tufshop.com 888-919-1101
                    >
                    >It would cost me about $75 more to go with ABit in a comparable
                    >MB and the 1.1Ghz. I figured I'd go ahead and get a mid-tower
                    >w/300W power supply and it will make it much easier for me that
                    >way.

                    I'd go ahead and go with the ABit MB Jody, for the reasons we chatted about
                    on the phone :)
                    I am just paranoid about the FIC because of their mother board specific
                    drivers - but my AMD K6-iii 450mhz is sitting on an FIC MB and does fine
                    with everything but you know what <HG>
                    And the new tower and PS sound like good choices also.
                    Doc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Hi Doc,

                      >>FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A

                      >I'd go ahead and go with the ABit MB Jody, for the reasons we
                      >chatted about on the phone :)
                      >I am just paranoid about the FIC because of their mother board
                      >specific drivers - but my AMD K6-iii 450mhz is sitting on an FIC
                      >MB and does fine with everything but you know what <HG>
                      >And the new tower and PS sound like good choices also.

                      Thank, I'll look into some other boards also, but I believe it
                      was your NVidia TNT with the MB causing the problem for you and
                      NoteTab. I send the sucker back if it does not work with
                      NoteTab. <bg>

                      Thanks!
                      Jody

                      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                    • Jim Hall
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
                        Jody,

                        At 08:57 AM 3/5/01, you wrote:
                        >Hi Jim,
                        >

                        >So, are you saying if I go with a 800Mhz and 526MB that it should
                        >out perform a 1.1Ghz and 256MB? Or, should I go ahead with the
                        >latter and at a later date add the 256MB RAM to it?

                        If I had to make that choice, I'd take the 1.1 Ghz (If I didn't have to
                        worry about an overly warm environment) and add more ram later. 256MB will
                        be okay for awhile yet.

                        Jim