Motherboard and Processor

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3, 2001
      Hi All,

      Sorry about the long post, but I need some professional help from you. ;)

      I am looking for a MB and a processor, say about 850MHz-1GHz in
      an AMD. I really do not know much about this, but it appears
      from just hitting some pages at www.pricewatch.com that I want a
      socket A to support it. I currently have a Soltek MB and AMD350
      proc. That will be used to rebuild the wife's and kids 486dx80
      64MB RAM.

      Anyhow, do you see anything I like below? <bg> Any suggestions? It
      seems a lot of MBs want to put a lot of stuff on board like sound.
      Do I *really* want that? Should I go with name brand and if so,
      what are a few? It seems if I go with a CPU/MB combo I can save a
      few bucks, maybe. (I think I need an ISA on board, but not
      sure.) I do need USB support. I'm having to hit F1 because of
      errors booting up since the fire with my MB now and also run a
      utility to set my clock every time Windows starts and I go on
      line, but it is done in the background.

      Combos:
      1GHz:
      Online Ordering AZ MB7KTA/T650
      PC Chips PRICE FOR ONLINE ORDERS ONLY - M805LR, Micro ATX, 200/266 FSB, SOCKET A CPU, 2 PCI,4X AGP with cpu - AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz includes Heatsink & Fan-Built-In 10/100 LAN & 3D Sound $ 233 $14.5 insured 3/1/01 8:17:54 AM CT Computer Craft Inc.
      800-487-4910
      727-327-7559

      Online Ordering FL MB-805+CPU+COOL
      Amptron M805LR - with CPU - AMD 1GHz Thunderbird Socket A W/Fan & Heatsink Price for PHONE ORDER must MENTION PRICE WATCH - 200FSB, - 2 PCI, 4X AGP, Built-In 10/100 LAN & 3D Sound $ 234 Starts at $16.50 2/28/01 7:49:07 PM CT Accubyte
      888-222-8298
      630-832-9200

      Online Ordering IL MBC-805-1G
      PC Chips M805LR, Micro ATX, 200/266 FSB, SOCKET A CPU, 2 PCI,4X AGP, Built-In 10/100 LAN & 3D Sound Price for PHONE ORDER MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - with CPU - AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz includes Heatsink & Fan $ 250 Starts @ 16.95 2/23/01 2:07:16 PM CT ECONOPC, Inc.
      888-326-6660
      847-967-2222 IL -

      --- 950s
      Amptron M805LR - with CPU - AMD 950 Thunderbird Socket A W/Fan & Heatsink Price for PHONE ORDER must MENTION PRICE WATCH - 200FSB, - 2 PCI, 4X AGP, Built-In 10/100 LAN & 3D Sound $ 225 STARTS AT $16.50 2/23/01 11:51:45 AM CT Accubyte
      888-222-8298
      630-832-9200

      Online Ordering IL MBC-805-95
      PC Chips M805LR, Micro ATX, 200/266 FSB, Socket A CPU, 2 PCI,4X AGP, Built-In 10/100 LAN & 3D Sound Price for PHONE ORDER MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - with CPU - AMD Thunderbird 950MHz includes Heatsink & Fan $ 225 Starts @ 16.95 2/23/01 2:08:12 PM CT ECONOPC, Inc.
      888-326-6660
      847-967-2222 IL -

      Amptron PRICE FOR ONLINE ORDERS - 807, Full ATX, 5 PCI, 2 USB, 4X AGP Built in 3D Sound, Socket A CPU, with CPU - AMD Thunderbird 950MHz incl Heatsink & Fan $ 226 15.25 2/22/01 11:51:01 PM CT All-Star/SMK Components
      800-490-0626

      --- 900s
      PC Chips PRICE FOR ONLINE ORDERS ONLY - M805LR, Micro ATX, 200/266 FSB, SOCKET A CPU, 2 PCI,4X AGP with cpu - AMD Thunderbird 900mhz includes Heatsink & Fan-Built-In 10/100 LAN & 3D Sound $ 188 $14.5 insured 3/1/01 8:18:03 AM CT Computer Craft Inc.
      800-487-4910
      727-327-7559

      Online Ordering FL MB-805+CPU+COOL
      Amptron M805LR - with CPU - AMD 900 Thunderbird Socket A W/Fan & Heatsink Price for PHONE ORDER must MENTION PRICE WATCH - 200FSB, - 2 PCI, 4X AGP, Built-In 10/100 LAN & 3D Sound $ 189 Starts at $16.50 2/28/01 8:13:18 PM CT Accubyte
      888-222-8298
      630-832-9200
      Online Ordering IL MBC-805-90

      $117 - AMD Athlon 900 3DNow K7
      $106 - AMD Athlon 850 3DNow K7
      $102 - AMD Athlon 800 3DNow K7

      PC Chips PRICE FOR ONLINE ORDERS ONLY - 800MRL SUPPORT AMD ATHLON K7 AMD ATHLON YAMAHA SOUND, 56K MODEM, LAN 10/100 ON BOARD 2 YEAR WARR upto ATHLON 1GIG $ 90 $12.00 2/9/2001 2:45:00 PM CT Infinity Systems Plus, Inc.
      800-853-9595
      330-405-0762
      Online Ordering OH -

      Gigabyte GA-7IXE Retail Package No CPU Accepts AMD Athlon 3DNow! Ultra DMA/66, 1 AGP/ 5PCI/2ISA 3 DIMM Sockets $ 90 4.20+ 2/26/01 5:09:20 PM CT Next Generation Computers
      800-860-4411
      716-681-8612 NY -

      Epox EP-7KXA ATX Slot A W/Sound, 5PCI, 1 ISA, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, UDMA 66, 4x AGP - No CPU Accepts AMD Athlon 3DNow $ 91 $10+ 1/29/01 5:20:28 PM CT GoGoCity.com
      888-883-9889
      626-839-1699
      Online Ordering CA EP-7KXA

      Gigabyte IN STOCK GA-71X, Slot A K7 AMD Athlon Ultra DMA/ ATA66,500-1000+MHZ.OEM, No CPU ULTRA 66 2X AGP, 2 ISA, 5 PCI, 3 DIMMS AMD ATHLON Driver and Cable $ 91 Free Freight 3 Days FedEx 2/20/01 11:27:45 AM CT Z-BUY.COM
      888-577-9289
      212-268-6260 -- P.O.'s accepted NY MB-GA71X

      Gigabyte GA-7IXE Slot A. No CPU Accepts AMD Athlon 3DNOw! (K7), Ultra DMA33/66 Bus Master Includes ATA66 IDE Cable $ 92 $8.99 1/25/01 12:07:03 PM CT CPU Solutions
      800-474-4278
      608-824-9955
      Online Ordering WI GA-7IXE

      Gigabyte ATX MBD ATHLON AMD751 5PCI 2ISA AGP 3DM, No CPU Accepts AMD Athlon 3DNow! (K7) $ 92 12.66 UPS Ground 1/5/01 10:21:02 AM CT Neutron, Inc
      800-813-4218
      814-237-0902 PA GA-7IXE

      What about this name brand, it's a bit more than I'd like to spend though:

      American Megatrends Megathon, Slot A for AMD Athlon 3DNow!, AMD-751/VIA 686A. No CPU 3x168-pin DIMM, SDRAM, ECC Support, 1x AGP (2X), 5x32 PCI, 1x16 ISA, ACPI, Ultra DMA/66, ATX $ 159
      --- with
      $117 - AMD Athlon 900 3DNow K7

      $169 AMD Thunderbird 1GHz Socket A
      $148 - AMD Thunderbird 950 Socket A
      $121 - AMD Thunderbird 900 Socket A

      PC Chips M805LR, Via KT133 chipset, ATX form, 4x AGP, AMR, 2 PCI, built-in sound & LAN - no cpu Accepts -AMD Thunderbird & Duron Socket A CPUs $ 73 Starts at $8.00 2/11/01 3:11:16 PM CT Compubuzz
      877-472-2899
      847-795-9886 IL -

      Amptron K7 805LRM - VIA KT133 chipset, ATX form, 200-266 front side bus, incl AMR 56k modem - NO CPU Accepts AMD Duron/Tbird 500-1Gig MHz, 4x AGP, AMR, 2 PCI, sound & LAN integrated, UDMA 33/66, w/Corel software $ 73 starts at $10 insured 1/26/01 12:24:00 AM CT 1st Class Technology
      888-820-2960
      949-472-0993
      Online Ordering CA MB-805LRM

      PC Chips Alton 807 Duron & Tbird Skt A, Via KT133 chipset supports 1.3 Ghz CPU, 266Mhz bus - NO CPU Accepts AMD Duron/Tbird 500-1.3 GHz, 5 PCI, 1 4x AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DIMM upto 1024 MB, ATA 66, ATX form $ 73 starts at $10 insured 1/15/01 2:46:38 PM CT 1st Class Technology
      888-820-2960
      949-472-0993
      Online Ordering CA 807

      Amptron 807LR , Socket A , Full ATX, (5) PCI, (1) AMR, (2) Dimms, NO CPU AMD DURON, Thunderbird. upto 1GB Memory , UpTo 1.2GHZ CPU $ 75 $14.95 Anywhere In Mainland USA 2/20/01 4:02:35 PM CT compunanza.com
      877-737-8795
      316-303-1022
      Online Ordering KS -

      FIC AZ11 Retail-AMD Socket A(462) KT133 ATX, 5PCI, 3Dimm 2 USB - no cpu az-11 Accept AMD Duron/Thunderbird Integrated audio in VIA 686A SuperSouth 1AGP 4X $ 77 $10+ 2/19/01 8:48:10 PM CT GoGoCity.com
      888-883-9889
      626-839-1699
      Online Ordering CA AZ11

      Thanks!
      Jody

      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
    • J. Michael Mollohan
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 4, 2001
        Jody,

        You mentioned in your original posting that you 'might' need ISA on the new
        Mommyboard, but all the MBs you listed only specify *two* PCI. Whether
        there are ISAs on that MB in addition to the PCIs or not is a question to be
        resolved. At any rate two PCIs on a new MB seems a little sparse. I'd
        check CDW or TigerDirect or USItek Online. They tend to carry a better
        quality MB and have the CPUs either separately or bundled. Gigahertz
        machines are now close to $800 for the name brand machines. You might want
        to just consider holding off for a while and buying a whole new machine --
        say 600 or 700 MHz, which can be had on the cheap. Trying to patch things
        together from a 486 machine is difficult and is usually only a stopgap
        measure. For starters, all 486 machines have an AT chassis. Nearly, if not
        all, Athlon MBs only fit an ATX chassis. Unless you've upgraded major
        components recently on it, going for a whole new machine is probably a
        better idea, particularly if you're building a machine for non-geek users.

        HTH,
        Michael
      • Len
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 4, 2001
          Hi Jody, Forrest, Carl, Harvey, et al;

          Are Jim Hill (very good info in the past) and other systems types in the audience? A comment about the trade off on CPU, Memory, harddrive controller speeds and 7200 rpm drives versus types of programs used would be very helpful.

          I have been looking toward building a companion for my PIII, 667MHz, 128 MB system (which is limited by the motherboard) and have come up with the following ideas (not conclusions). This system does almost everything I need but because of my background I am really getting into the high performance specs.

          Go with a top of the line motherboard (~$140) for future component upgrades.
          Asus, Abit, Via, Gigabite, FIC (in that order?) with an ATA/UDMA 100 IDE hard drive controller (SCSI is faster but significantly more expensive(?), AGP 4x slot, 4 or more PCI slots and an ISA slot(?). If the sound and video are built-in, make sure they can be replaced with AGP and PCI cards, respectfuly, which are available with many more options. These motherboards have outputs for system voltages and CPU, MB and other temperatures. They also have outputs for CPU, case and other fan speeds if the three wire fans are used.

          I'm not sure about the range of clock speeds but a 66 to 150 MHz range seems to be the standard. I'm also not sure about the 200/266 Double Data Rate (DDR) memory but a comment at http://www.tomshardware.com indicated that they saw an increase of performance of only about 10%. I gather these rates are for overclocked systems. 150 MHz memory is the fastest I've seen other than the DDR and Rambus 200, 400, 800 Mhz memory. The AMD CPUs seem to be very tolerent of overclocking however heat is a problem as with the 800 to 1000 MHz CPU's. BTW, how can a CPU be overclocked without screwing up the PCI bus?

          I'm using a set of D-Link network cards with a crossover cable for a 2 system network and they seem to be good and inexpensive.

          My preference in cases would be a mid ATX case with several 5.5 and 3.5 bays and a 300 watt power supply.

          The Thunderbird and Duron(?) 700-750 MHz systems seem to offer the most "bang for the buck" right now. I've recommended these to several people. Did I goof up?

          Let us know what you come up with. Len

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 4, 2001
            Hi Len, Forrest, Carl, Harvey, et al;

            Any objections? ;)

            FIC AZ11E RETAIL BOX 2 YR WARRANTY AZ-11-E ATA100 Socket A
            1a/1cnr/5p/3d/ 2usb AZ11-E iNSTOCK with cpu - AMD Thunderbird
            1.1Ghz 1100Mhz Socket A, 3DNow! (K7) & Heatsink and Cooling Fan
            Complete Set INSTOCK $ 306 Shipping: Starts Between $12-$15
            Tufshop.com 888-919-1101

            It would cost me about $75 more to go with ABit in a comparable
            MB and the 1.1Ghz. I figured I'd go ahead and get a mid-tower
            w/300W power supply and it will make it much easier for me that
            way.

          • Len
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
              Hi Jody;

              Your selection should make a good base for a mid/high-level system. I found the mid-tower case to be much easier to work in and it will have more ports and bays than a mini-tower. Everything inside will be more accessable and the footprint is only slightly larger than the mini-tower.

              Have fun, Len

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                Hi Len,

                >Your selection should make a good base for a mid/high-level
                >system. I found the mid-tower case to be much easier to work in
                >and it will have more ports and bays than a mini-tower.
                >Everything inside will be more accessable and the footprint is
                >only slightly larger than the mini-tower.

                Thanks, and I do have a mid-tower now and like it. It only has 3
                5 1/4" access places, but that is all I need - only use two. :)
                It has two 3.5" also so I am aware of the size of a mid-tower.
                Never has a mini - they just look too small.

              • thefrank
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                  Hey Jody,

                  (...don't take any wooden motherboards...)

                  "Decay is inherent in all compound things. Strive on with diligence"
                  -- Sid

                  warm regards,

                  tf
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                    Hi thefrank,

                    >(...don't take any wooden motherboards...)
                    >
                    >"Decay is inherent in all compound things. Strive on with diligence"
                    >-- Sid

                    So, does that mean go with the cheapest and hope for the best?

                  • thefrank
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Hi Jody,

                      > So, does that mean...

                      Not at all. Just a (dumb) joke to illustrate that whatever you get
                      now will be obsolete and overpriced compared to what you can get in 6
                      months (or weeks)...but will still get the work done.

                      My AMD-K62 350 still operates faster than I do (as a fellow tabber
                      mentioned). I think the difference is the 256mb RAM (also mentioned).

                      What mb does AMD recommend for their processors? I use FIC although
                      Azuz and Abit get rave reviews. Whichever board you prefer, I suggest
                      getting a config to accommodate the most RAM. 20 bucks for another
                      slot lets you add another 256 (or better) later on, and in 6 months
                      there could be a Terrabyte (or whatever) stick available.

                      Note: A techie advised me about 4ply and 2ply RAM boards (the stick
                      the RAM chips are fastened to), saying the 2ply sticks do not
                      dissipate the heat as well and degrade faster. Pay (a little) extra
                      for RAM with a lifetime guarantee (should be 4ply). (I know, it
                      sounds like toilet paper...)

                      It sure is fun though...

                      regards,

                      tf
                    • Scott Fordin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                        So true. Buying technology is like putting your foot
                        in a stream... The stream is always going to be rushing
                        past, but you're just trying to get to the other side
                        (hoping to at least not drop your machine in the water
                        and electrocute yourself).

                        Well, before I torture that metaphor anymore, let me
                        just add, FWIW, that I'm currently running an AMD Athlon
                        "Thunderbird" at 1Ghz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, and an
                        NVidia GeForce 2 MX video card with 32MB RAM. I dual
                        boot between Windows 2000 Pro and Red Hat Linux 7, and
                        except for the initial trials of getting the appropriate
                        drivers for all components and both operating systems,
                        things now go swimmingly. I've long been a fan of AMD
                        -- three out of the five main machines in the house run
                        AMD: the Athlon 1Ghz, a K6-2/300 and a K6-2/500. I think
                        AMD simply provides more of the proverbial bang for the
                        proverbial buck.

                        Back to the stream for a moment: my current machine cost
                        me at least three times *less* than what I paid for my
                        Gateway 386 or Leading Edge Model "D" oh so many years
                        ago. Back when chads were chads, and nerds were really
                        nerdy...

                        Scott
                        "Resist the force before it forces you to resist."

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                          Hi thefrank,

                          >Not at all. Just a (dumb) joke to illustrate that whatever you
                          >get now will be obsolete and overpriced compared to what you can
                          >get in 6 months (or weeks)...but will still get the work done.

                          OK.

                          >My AMD-K62 350 still operates faster than I do (as a fellow
                          >tabber mentioned). I think the difference is the 256mb RAM (also
                          >mentioned).

                          That is the proc I have now. I put in my 256MB today from 128MB
                          and don't see any difference just like I did not going from 64 to
                          128MB RAM.

                          >What mb does AMD recommend for their processors? I use FIC
                          >although Azuz and Abit get rave reviews. Whichever board you
                          >prefer, I suggest getting a config to accommodate the most RAM.
                          >20 bucks for another slot lets you add another 256 (or better)
                          >later on, and in 6 months there could be a Terrabyte (or
                          >whatever) stick available.

                          So, what in the world do I need for speed? I can afford 1.1Ghz
                          and perhaps 516MB RAM and might just spend the extra bucks to get
                          the Abit or Asus. I want some speed!!! Where is my Win3.11 like
                          Sleepless was complaining about. NoteTab still takes 2-3 seconds
                          to open with the extra RAM - no difference.

                          >Pay (a little) extra for RAM with a lifetime guarantee (should be
                          >4ply). (I know, it sounds like toilet paper...)

                          hahahaha

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                            Hi Scott and Jim,

                            Thanks much for the 1.1Mhz tip Jim and Doc - that is certainly
                            what I wanted to hear. Now I can tell the wife, but the experts
                            say... haha.

                            >Well, before I torture that metaphor anymore, let me just add,
                            >FWIW, that I'm currently running an AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" at
                            >1Ghz, with 256MB PC133 RAM, and an NVidia GeForce 2 MX video card
                            >with 32MB RAM. I dual boot between Windows 2000 Pro and Red Hat
                            >Linux 7, and except for the initial trials of getting the
                            >appropriate drivers for all components and both operating
                            >systems, things now go swimmingly. I've long been a fan of AMD --
                            >three out of the five main machines in the house run AMD: the
                            >Athlon 1Ghz, a K6-2/300 and a K6-2/500. I think AMD simply
                            >provides more of the proverbial bang for the proverbial buck.

                            Thanks! So, I ought to fare well with a 1.0 or 1.1Ghz (five
                            stars on the 1.1), 256-528MB RAM and any half way decent MB. I'll
                            push for 528MB. Gee, I just bought a 256 stick, so I only need
                            to buy one more and leave the wife and kids with the 128MB, nice
                            guy, eh? :) I'd better get some more for them, but the problem
                            is I don't have anymore room on that/this board for more sticks.
                            They are two 64MB 166pin DIMM/SDRAM PC100 now with no extra slot.
                            I do have the shorter white slots next to them. Uh, will
                            something go in there an be compatible?

                            >Back to the stream for a moment: my current machine cost me at
                            >least three times *less* than what I paid for my Gateway 386 or
                            >Leading Edge Model "D" oh so many years ago. Back when chads were
                            >chads, and nerds were really nerdy...

                            ROFL!!! My first PC was the 486dx80 I had mentioned earlier. I
                            paid, with 14" monitor, over $800.00. For that, one can get a
                            complete screaming system today if built themselves and not a bad
                            Gateway at all with $400.00 rebate if he signs up for MSN or the
                            like totalling about $450.00 for a mid-range computer - HP stuff
                            at that. So, why am I buying an MB and proc for about the same
                            that is just a tad bit better specs than the $450.00? I will pay
                            because I want the joy of the hassles and more learning
                            experience if something should go wrong. Plus, I want complete
                            control, at least as what MS and others will give me, and as much
                            understanding of my machine as I can get. I cannot get that with
                            a ready made system and when you call tech support (after hours
                            and hours of frustration - I live for it BG) they tell you to
                            plug in the rescue CD.

                            Dual boot equals two ways of booting up; same drive or two
                            different drives? I would like to give Linux another try or
                            install WinME but will not on the same drive as Win98SE again.
                            Please reply with new topic if you do on that. tanX.

                          • Harvey R. Savage
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001

                              > So, what in the world do I need for speed? I can afford 1.1Ghz
                              > and perhaps 516MB RAM and might just spend the extra bucks to get
                              > the Abit or Asus. I want some speed!!! Where is my Win3.11 like
                              > Sleepless was complaining about. NoteTab still takes 2-3 seconds
                              > to open with the extra RAM - no difference.
                              >
                              > hahahaha
                              >
                              > Happy Topics,
                              > Jody

                              Hi Jody,

                              Has anyone recommended this site, http://k7v.com It's mostly
                              about ASUS and AMD. Several forums to look at. You might get
                              some ideas about MB's and processors from there.

                              Most of the respondents are serious gamers and, or,
                              overclockers. You can catch some good info on cpu's and periphal
                              cards, and a few other things.

                              hrs
                            • Harvey R. Savage
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                                Harvey R Savage wrote:
                                > Hi Jody,
                                >
                                > Has anyone recommended this site, http://k7v.com It's mostly
                                > about ASUS and AMD. Several forums to look at. You might get
                                > some ideas about MB's and processors from there.
                                >
                                > Most of the respondents are serious gamers and, or,
                                > overclockers. You can catch some good info on cpu's and periphal
                                > cards, and a few other things.

                                Hi Jody,

                                PERIPHERAL is the word I was looking for. Somehow it got past my
                                spell checker, I don't know how.

                                hrs
                              • thefrank
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                                  Hi Jody,

                                  The RAM thingy:

                                  More RAM becomes noticeable to me when I have many apps open at the
                                  same time and am doing work in all.

                                  Typically, during my work routine, I will have 2 or 3 NoteTabPros
                                  (each with different filesets of 10 to 30 files, clipbooks and
                                  clipbars), MSWord, Excel, Xara, WS_FTP, SecureCRT (telnet), XnView,
                                  GifAnimator, and maybe 4 browsers all open and working at the same
                                  time. No hiccups, no waiting. They are all loaded into, and operate
                                  from RAM!

                                  A (good) rule of thumb is when you have alot open and try to do
                                  something, if you hear (or see: blink, blink) your hard drive getting
                                  hit during your work just to process the task, then more RAM will
                                  definitely help. RAM is faster, it doesn't spin and wear out (like a
                                  hd), and right now its cheap.

                                  Having the RAM to do the work saves wear and tear on the hd. After
                                  the apps are open you should not need the hd for anything but storage.

                                  The *smaller slots* thingy:

                                  On one of my systems the board has 2 DIMM slots and 4 EDO SIMM slots.
                                  The board book says in BOLD print to use one type or the other, but
                                  NOT to mix. So...I mixed (of course) just to see. The difference I
                                  noticed is that all the RAM runs at the slower (EDO) speed, which is
                                  still a thousand times faster that the hd and a zillion times faster
                                  than I can type. Been working fine for 2 years now...

                                  regards,

                                  tf
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                                    Hi thefrank,

                                    Thanks for the link Harvey - I certainly see there is support. :)

                                    >More RAM becomes noticeable to me when I have many apps open at the
                                    >same time and am doing work in all.
                                    >Having the RAM to do the work saves wear and tear on the hd.
                                    >After the apps are open you should not need the hd for anything
                                    >but storage.

                                    Uh, well, duh! What can I say. Thanks. I check my RAM quite a
                                    bit at times especially when running slow and know exactly what
                                    you are talking about. I use a small utility called AppBar
                                    (freeware) that I keep on top in autohide. I use it to launch
                                    programs with. It is completely configurable and is nothing more
                                    than a menu bar. You make your main menu: Apps, Image, Browsers,
                                    Fookes, etc. and then underneath them you add your programs.
                                    http://www.notetab.net/zip/appbar.zip Anyway, it has a resource
                                    meter on it.

                                    >The *smaller slots* thingy:
                                    >
                                    >On one of my systems the board has 2 DIMM slots and 4 EDO SIMM
                                    >slots. The board book says in BOLD print to use one type or the
                                    >other, but NOT to mix. So...I mixed (of course) just to see. The
                                    >difference I noticed is that all the RAM runs at the slower (EDO)
                                    >speed, which is still a thousand times faster that the hd and a
                                    >zillion times faster than I can type. Been working fine for 2
                                    >years now...

                                    Hey, hey - my kind of guy! <bg> I figured it was one or the other,
                                    but too lazy to pull out the specs.

                                  • Scott Fordin
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 5, 2001
                                      At 22:03 3/5/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                                      >Dual boot equals two ways of booting up; same drive or two
                                      >different drives? I would like to give Linux another try or
                                      >install WinME but will not on the same drive as Win98SE again.
                                      >Please reply with new topic if you do on that. tanX.

                                      PartitionMagic and BootMagic do all the, er, magic for me.
                                      I've had it configured both ways: both operating systems
                                      in their own partitions on the same drive or, currently,
                                      W2K on one drive and Linux on the other. In all cases, both
                                      operating systems are accessing both drives. I use the same
                                      data directories for everything. For a while I was *triple*
                                      booting between Windows 98, NT 4.0, and Caldera Linux, each
                                      in its own partition. The main catch is that each operating
                                      system can be picky in terms of where its boot loader is
                                      installed on the disk. The good news is that PartitionMagic
                                      handles all of this nastiness with aplomb.

                                      BTW, from everything I've read, I would avoid WinME like the
                                      plague. Go right to Win2K instead (but buy Win2K at auction
                                      or suchlike to get a good price).

                                      Scott
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 6, 2001
                                        Hi Scott,

                                        Thanks for the info. I couldn't even get PQMagic to read my
                                        drives when I tried installing Linux. I had more headaches with
                                        that Mandrake 4.72 load than 5 years of PC'n and don't wish that
                                        on anybody. It will probably be a very long time till I try
                                        installing it again and then it will be on its own drive. I
                                        think I agree with you about WinME, but then I heard Win2000 is a
                                        bit hard to get going and harder to use. I'm pretty happy with
                                        Win98SE so might just hang around till I'm forced by the industry
                                        changes to upgrade.