Re: [NTO] New Drive

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16 5:53 PM
      Jody,

      If sys.com is available you will only have to boot that way
      initially. Once you run sys.com from a bootable floppy it will,
      or should, make the C:drive bootable.

      hrs

      --
      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16 6:00 PM
        Hi Harvey,

        > If sys.com is available you will only have to boot that way
        > initially. Once you run sys.com from a bootable floppy it
        > will, or should, make the C:drive bootable.

        OK, so basically you are saying to make a startup disk before
        proceeding? :)

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16 6:10 PM
          Jody,

          Pardon me for butting in since this was to Larry but I'm not sure
          you would lose long filenames if you're using the same registry
          files.

          If you can get Larry to rent you a copy of his software that
          should definitely take care of long filenames.

          hrs

          --
          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16 6:11 PM
            Jody,

            Right on!

            hrs

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16 6:13 PM
              Jody,

              Addendum; Just make sure the floppy has sys.com on it.

              hrs

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16 6:42 PM
                Jody,

                If you decide to go with a bootable floppy do these steps. Any
                other input is welcome.

                1. Make a bootable floppy (Startup disk)

                2. Make sure it has sys.com on it, you also should make a copy
                of the system files on your C:drive - IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS or,
                whatever they're called in Win98 to a temp directory or, another
                floppy. If sys.com overwrites them you can copy your originals
                back to the root dir.

                3. If Windows creates an Autoexec.bat on the floppy you probably
                should edit it so the floppy won't try to start Windows. Don't
                know if it would but, it would be safer to check.

                ???? If anyone can point out anything I've omitted Please, Jump
                in!

                ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                ¿? Eldorado, IL 62930
                ¿? 618-273-5003
                ¿? icq 21106393
                ¿? hsavage@...
                ¿? (ktcalci)
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 16 6:42 PM
                  Hi Harvey,

                  > Pardon me for butting in since this was to Larry but I'm not
                  > sure you would lose long filenames if you're using the same
                  > registry files.

                  No problem, we expect that on discussion lists. We do it all the
                  time. Thanks for the other posts. Yes, I will ensure Windows
                  puts sys.com on it.