RE: [NTO] 5 cents per e-mail??

  • Bob Janes
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
      Thank you for forwarding me the "postage surcharge" story.
      Fortunately, the story you sent me is a well-known urban legend. I
      have attached an excerpt from an article on this urban legend I
      recently read on the Internet TOURBUS.

      By the way, if you do not yet subscribe to TOURBUS, I strongly
      recommend that you do. TOURBUS is a free, semi-weekly Internet
      newsletter that tells you about the latest Internet sites and helps
      you debunk the latest Internet urban legends. I have included
      TOURBUS subscription information at the bottom of this message.

      Urban Legend Update: Postage Surcharge Story -- 1 June 1999

      About a month ago, a story circulated around the Net warning Canadians
      that

      ... Bill 602P will permit the Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
      surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
      Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn by
      the ISP. Toronto lawyer Richard Stepp QC is working to prevent
      this legislation from becoming law.

      The Canada Post Corporation is claiming that lost revenue due to
      the proliferation of email is costing nearly $23,000,000 in
      revenue per year ...

      The letter goes on to warn that

      ... One back-bencher, Liberal Tony Schnell (NB) has even
      suggested a "twenty to forty dollar per month surcharge on all
      Internet service" above and beyond the government's proposed
      email charges ...

      Fortunately, the letter is yet another Internet hoax. According to
      a recent column in the Toronto Sun,

      Don't rush to the keyboards and phones. The lawyer does not
      exist. The law firm whose name appears on the alert does not
      exist. There is no MP named Schnell. Forget Bill 602P; that's
      not even the way bills are numbered.

      [quote shamelessly stolen from David Emery's "Email Tax for
      Canada" column, which we will talk about in a moment ... maybe.]

      Proving the old saying "everything old is new again," here is a recent
      story that has been floating around the Net. See if you notice any
      similarities. The story says that

      Bill 602P will permit the [US] Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
      surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
      Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn
      by the ISP. Washington D.C. lawyer Richard Stepp is working
      without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law.

      The U.S. Postal Service is claiming that lost revenue due to the
      proliferation of email is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue
      per year.

      The letter goes on to warn that

      One congressman, Tony Schnell (r) has even suggested a "twenty to
      forty dollar per month surcharge on all Internet service" above
      and beyond the government's proposed email charges

      Deja vu? Yep. The message floating around the Net right now is
      almost word for word the same message that floated around Canada in
      May. [I particularly enjoyed the fact that Mr. Schnell was able to
      switch from being a Canadian Liberal to being an American Republican
      in less than a month -- ain't technology wonderful?!]

      For the record, both stories are hoaxes. Neither Canada nor the US is
      considering an email surcharge. Neither Canada nor the US has a
      lawmaker named "Tony Schnell" [that's what happens when you jump
      parties!]. Neither Canada nor the US has a bill 602P (in Canada,
      bills from the Senate begin with the letter S and bills from the
      Commons begin with the letter C; in the US, bills from the Senate
      begin with the letter S and bills from the House begin with the letter
      H). Finally, neither Toronto nor Washington has a lawyer named
      Richard Stepp.

      ... and, no, Australia isn't considering an email surcharge either. :P

      For more information about this story, visit David Emery's new site at

      http://urbanlegends.about.com/

      =====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
      The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
      Copyright 1995-2000, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
      Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com/

      Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@...
      Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@...

      Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to hop on the Bus!
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi Jim and Others,

        >I just received it from about 5 forwards and haven't had the time
        >to verify it.

        About three years ago Bell Telephone was pushing for a law to be
        passed to charge for computer time on-line and connected to local
        telephone companies (TELCO), but the ISPs got together and fought
        it and it never made it too far. That was not a hoax according
        to my ISP at the time. The way it works is ATT and other common
        carriers (OCC), as in all other long distance switching
        companies, lease the line to the various ISPs for the long
        distance (unless they own them <g> like MCI, Sprint, ATT, Altel,
        and whatever other nations use). That might be tin cans and a
        string for Marco and also the hicks in Alabama USA. hahaha (Even
        the carriers lease or trade lines with each other for redundancy
        in case of fiber cuts.) All it takes is a phone call and a tech
        to do some software rerouting and perhaps some manual patching at
        the T1 racks to switch the lines to a different route so little
        down time is experienced. Some of it is all automatic, or at
        least it should be.

        Now, in that case, the analog wave form is received by channel
        banks at TELCO can goes through a converter converting the analog
        to digital to send through the digital equipment. A technique
        called Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) is then used to send the
        digital code out over the network (fiber in most cases today).
        (In America, at least, those little tan colored concrete
        buildings you see in areas are where the copper phone lines go
        in, the signal converted to digital if need be and are then
        shipped over fiber to TELCO.) The PCM is actual samples, or
        pieces of the digital "cut" from the digital pulse so when the
        signal is sent it is send in many bits for faster transmission.
        It is then all put back together at the distance end switch and
        sent through a digital to analog converter where you might hear
        in Italian, buy my paintings at:

        http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo1.jpg
        http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo2.jpg
        http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo3.jpg

        or in hillbilly from Jody say, buy Fookes Software at:

        Online ordering:
        Secure online ordering with credit card.
        Free Internet download. CD-ROMs available with extras!
        http://www.notetab.net/order/order.htm

        Mail orders:
        Free Internet download. Pay with check or money order.
        "Build a CD-ROM" with any of our products and include
        any registered products that you may have already.
        http://www.notetab.net/order/prtorder.htm

        That of course is the voice, an analog signal path. Your PCs are
        already digital so no converter is needed, just the PCM. This
        concludes Telephony 101 for the day. ;) Yeah, I miss working out
        in the real world. :-( But most of it now a days is just
        glorified Windows plug and play techs that would not know what an
        oscilloscope looked like if they were looking at one nor the
        difference between a flow chart and a schematic. :-( So much for
        the good 'ol days when one would have to bit bang through a
        schematic using an o'scope finding where a signal is lost and
        replacing the card. But, then again, we don't have much downtime
        on our computers either. <big smile>

        The switches all have redundant circuitry and the trouble reports
        are probably about 99% correct today. If a printed circuit board
        (PCB) goes bad, the switch automatically switches to the other
        card (board) and the printers go wild for a few minutes printing
        out the problem, usually saying the same thing over and over. <g>
        The condition is left like that as long as phone processing is
        not interrupted until the maintenance window, usually about
        midnight to 4AM when they feel a bit more comfortable because of
        low traffic letting a human change the card out. <vbg> That
        human gets paid pretty big bucks to do that BTW and is the
        backbone of the telecommunications industry regardless of what
        the hardware and software engineers think. ;) OK, class is over,
        sorry for holding you late. ;)

      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
          Hi Jim and All:
          My modem reset about the time I was going to go here but this URL says that there is no Bill 602P
          http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/emailtax.html

          Bill Scott

          Try search http://www.google.com/ .,..... Bill 602P for more info ..