Re: [NTO] 5 cents per e-mail??

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
      Alle 23.09 Thursday 01/03/2001 -0800, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
      messaggio:

      >I just received it from about 5 forwards and haven't had the time to
      >verify it.

      More on:
      http://www.urbanlegends.com/classic/modem_tax.html
      and
      http://www.nonprofit.net/hoax/
      and
      http://HoaxBusters.ciac.org/

      But it's true if you pay your phone bill on a time basis!
      The TeleCom company earn money on every second you're on the Net... and
      (here in Italy) the 20% goes to the State.
      So we pay for receive spam, hoaxes, virii and so on. Nice, uh?

      Bye!

      Marco Bernardini
    • Bob Janes
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        Thank you for forwarding me the "postage surcharge" story.
        Fortunately, the story you sent me is a well-known urban legend. I
        have attached an excerpt from an article on this urban legend I
        recently read on the Internet TOURBUS.

        By the way, if you do not yet subscribe to TOURBUS, I strongly
        recommend that you do. TOURBUS is a free, semi-weekly Internet
        newsletter that tells you about the latest Internet sites and helps
        you debunk the latest Internet urban legends. I have included
        TOURBUS subscription information at the bottom of this message.

        Urban Legend Update: Postage Surcharge Story -- 1 June 1999

        About a month ago, a story circulated around the Net warning Canadians
        that

        ... Bill 602P will permit the Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
        surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
        Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn by
        the ISP. Toronto lawyer Richard Stepp QC is working to prevent
        this legislation from becoming law.

        The Canada Post Corporation is claiming that lost revenue due to
        the proliferation of email is costing nearly $23,000,000 in
        revenue per year ...

        The letter goes on to warn that

        ... One back-bencher, Liberal Tony Schnell (NB) has even
        suggested a "twenty to forty dollar per month surcharge on all
        Internet service" above and beyond the government's proposed
        email charges ...

        Fortunately, the letter is yet another Internet hoax. According to
        a recent column in the Toronto Sun,

        Don't rush to the keyboards and phones. The lawyer does not
        exist. The law firm whose name appears on the alert does not
        exist. There is no MP named Schnell. Forget Bill 602P; that's
        not even the way bills are numbered.

        [quote shamelessly stolen from David Emery's "Email Tax for
        Canada" column, which we will talk about in a moment ... maybe.]

        Proving the old saying "everything old is new again," here is a recent
        story that has been floating around the Net. See if you notice any
        similarities. The story says that

        Bill 602P will permit the [US] Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
        surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
        Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn
        by the ISP. Washington D.C. lawyer Richard Stepp is working
        without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law.

        The U.S. Postal Service is claiming that lost revenue due to the
        proliferation of email is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue
        per year.

        The letter goes on to warn that

        One congressman, Tony Schnell (r) has even suggested a "twenty to
        forty dollar per month surcharge on all Internet service" above
        and beyond the government's proposed email charges

        Deja vu? Yep. The message floating around the Net right now is
        almost word for word the same message that floated around Canada in
        May. [I particularly enjoyed the fact that Mr. Schnell was able to
        switch from being a Canadian Liberal to being an American Republican
        in less than a month -- ain't technology wonderful?!]

        For the record, both stories are hoaxes. Neither Canada nor the US is
        considering an email surcharge. Neither Canada nor the US has a
        lawmaker named "Tony Schnell" [that's what happens when you jump
        parties!]. Neither Canada nor the US has a bill 602P (in Canada,
        bills from the Senate begin with the letter S and bills from the
        Commons begin with the letter C; in the US, bills from the Senate
        begin with the letter S and bills from the House begin with the letter
        H). Finally, neither Toronto nor Washington has a lawyer named
        Richard Stepp.

        ... and, no, Australia isn't considering an email surcharge either. :P

        For more information about this story, visit David Emery's new site at

        http://urbanlegends.about.com/

        =====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
        The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
        Copyright 1995-2000, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
        Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com/

        Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@...
        Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@...

        Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to hop on the Bus!
      • DA
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
          Hi All,

          This is another hoax!
          Following is from http://www.house.gov/oxley/s9910a.htm

          DA

          Congressman Michael G. Oxley
          Fourth Ohio District

          Statement on "Bill 602P" and E-Mail Surcharges

          As you may know, it was reported that a "Congressman Tony Schnell" recently
          introduced "Bill 602P," which would allow the federal government to impose a
          five-cent surcharge on every e-mail sent. The money collected would be given to
          the United States Postal Service. This rumor has been widely spread via e-mail
          throughout the country.

          This rumor is absolutely false. No such legislation exists. In fact, no
          "Congressman Tony Schnell" exists. The Postal Service has no authority to
          collect fees for e-mail, and has indicated that it would not support legislation
          to allow such fees to be imposed. You can find more information about this
          rumor at the Postal Service's website.

          As Vice Chairman of the Commerce Committee's Subcommittee on telecommunications,
          Trade, and Consumer Protection, know that I will work hard to ensure that no
          such Internet fees are imposed.

          more Speeches, Statements, and Letters - home
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
            Hi Jim and Others,

            >I just received it from about 5 forwards and haven't had the time
            >to verify it.

            About three years ago Bell Telephone was pushing for a law to be
            passed to charge for computer time on-line and connected to local
            telephone companies (TELCO), but the ISPs got together and fought
            it and it never made it too far. That was not a hoax according
            to my ISP at the time. The way it works is ATT and other common
            carriers (OCC), as in all other long distance switching
            companies, lease the line to the various ISPs for the long
            distance (unless they own them <g> like MCI, Sprint, ATT, Altel,
            and whatever other nations use). That might be tin cans and a
            string for Marco and also the hicks in Alabama USA. hahaha (Even
            the carriers lease or trade lines with each other for redundancy
            in case of fiber cuts.) All it takes is a phone call and a tech
            to do some software rerouting and perhaps some manual patching at
            the T1 racks to switch the lines to a different route so little
            down time is experienced. Some of it is all automatic, or at
            least it should be.

            Now, in that case, the analog wave form is received by channel
            banks at TELCO can goes through a converter converting the analog
            to digital to send through the digital equipment. A technique
            called Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) is then used to send the
            digital code out over the network (fiber in most cases today).
            (In America, at least, those little tan colored concrete
            buildings you see in areas are where the copper phone lines go
            in, the signal converted to digital if need be and are then
            shipped over fiber to TELCO.) The PCM is actual samples, or
            pieces of the digital "cut" from the digital pulse so when the
            signal is sent it is send in many bits for faster transmission.
            It is then all put back together at the distance end switch and
            sent through a digital to analog converter where you might hear
            in Italian, buy my paintings at:

            http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo1.jpg
            http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo2.jpg
            http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo3.jpg

            or in hillbilly from Jody say, buy Fookes Software at:

            Online ordering:
            Secure online ordering with credit card.
            Free Internet download. CD-ROMs available with extras!
            http://www.notetab.net/order/order.htm

            Mail orders:
            Free Internet download. Pay with check or money order.
            "Build a CD-ROM" with any of our products and include
            any registered products that you may have already.
            http://www.notetab.net/order/prtorder.htm

            That of course is the voice, an analog signal path. Your PCs are
            already digital so no converter is needed, just the PCM. This
            concludes Telephony 101 for the day. ;) Yeah, I miss working out
            in the real world. :-( But most of it now a days is just
            glorified Windows plug and play techs that would not know what an
            oscilloscope looked like if they were looking at one nor the
            difference between a flow chart and a schematic. :-( So much for
            the good 'ol days when one would have to bit bang through a
            schematic using an o'scope finding where a signal is lost and
            replacing the card. But, then again, we don't have much downtime
            on our computers either. <big smile>

            The switches all have redundant circuitry and the trouble reports
            are probably about 99% correct today. If a printed circuit board
            (PCB) goes bad, the switch automatically switches to the other
            card (board) and the printers go wild for a few minutes printing
            out the problem, usually saying the same thing over and over. <g>
            The condition is left like that as long as phone processing is
            not interrupted until the maintenance window, usually about
            midnight to 4AM when they feel a bit more comfortable because of
            low traffic letting a human change the card out. <vbg> That
            human gets paid pretty big bucks to do that BTW and is the
            backbone of the telecommunications industry regardless of what
            the hardware and software engineers think. ;) OK, class is over,
            sorry for holding you late. ;)

          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
              Hi Jim and All:
              My modem reset about the time I was going to go here but this URL says that there is no Bill 602P
              http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/emailtax.html

              Bill Scott

              Try search http://www.google.com/ .,..... Bill 602P for more info ..