5 cents per e-mail??

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 11:09 PM
      Hi All,

      Anybody heard anything about this??

      I just received it from about 5 forwards and haven't had the time to verify it.

      Sure would put a hurtin' on our lists.

      Forwarded:

      Guess the warnings were true. Federal Bill 602P 5-cents per E-mail sent.
      It figures! No more free E-mail! We knew this was coming!!

      Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent charge on
      every delivered E-mail. Please read the following carefully if you intend
      to stay online and continue using E-mail.

      The last few months have revealed an alarming trend in the Government of
      the United States attempting to quietly push through legislation that will
      affect our use of the Internet. Under proposed legislation, the US Postal
      Service will be attempting to bill E-mail users out of "alternative postage
      fees."

      Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent surcharge
      on every E-mail delivered, by billing Internet Service Providers at source.
      The consumer would then be billed in turn by the ISP.

      Washington DC lawyer Richard Stepp is working without pay to prevent this
      legislation from becoming law. The US Postal Service is claiming lost
      revenue, due to the proliferation of E-mail, is costing nearly $230,000,000
      in revenue per year. You may have noticed their recent ad campaign:
      "There is nothing like a letter." Since the average person received about
      10 pieces of E-mail per day in 1998, the cost of the typical individual
      would be an additional 50 cents a day -- or over $180 per year -- above and
      beyond their regular Internet costs.

      Note that this would be money paid directly to the US Postal Service for a
      service they do not even provide.

      The whole point of the Internet is democracy and noninterference. You are
      already paying an exorbitant price for snail mail because of bureaucratic
      efficiency. It currently takes up to 6 days for a letter to be delivered
      from coast to coast. If the US Postal Service is allowed to tinker with
      E-mail, it will mark the end of the "free" Internet in the United States.
      Congressional representative, Tony Schnell (R) has even suggested a
      "$20-$40 per month surcharge on all Internet service" above and beyond the
      governments proposed E-mail charges.

      Note that most of the major newspapers have ignored the story the only
      exception being the Washingtonian which called the idea of E-mail surcharge
      "a useful concept who's time has come" (March 6th, 1999 Editorial). Do not
      sit by and watch your freedom erode away!

      Send this E-mail to EVERYONE on your list, and tell all your friends and
      relatives to write their congressional representative and say "NO" to Bill
      602P. It will only take a few moments of your time and could very well be
      instrumental in killing a bill we do not want.
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2 12:52 AM
        Alle 23.09 Thursday 01/03/2001 -0800, Jim Hall ha mandato a Marco questo
        messaggio:

        >I just received it from about 5 forwards and haven't had the time to
        >verify it.

        More on:
        http://www.urbanlegends.com/classic/modem_tax.html
        and
        http://www.nonprofit.net/hoax/
        and
        http://HoaxBusters.ciac.org/

        But it's true if you pay your phone bill on a time basis!
        The TeleCom company earn money on every second you're on the Net... and
        (here in Italy) the 20% goes to the State.
        So we pay for receive spam, hoaxes, virii and so on. Nice, uh?

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
      • Bob Janes
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2 1:02 AM
          Thank you for forwarding me the "postage surcharge" story.
          Fortunately, the story you sent me is a well-known urban legend. I
          have attached an excerpt from an article on this urban legend I
          recently read on the Internet TOURBUS.

          By the way, if you do not yet subscribe to TOURBUS, I strongly
          recommend that you do. TOURBUS is a free, semi-weekly Internet
          newsletter that tells you about the latest Internet sites and helps
          you debunk the latest Internet urban legends. I have included
          TOURBUS subscription information at the bottom of this message.

          Urban Legend Update: Postage Surcharge Story -- 1 June 1999

          About a month ago, a story circulated around the Net warning Canadians
          that

          ... Bill 602P will permit the Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
          surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
          Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn by
          the ISP. Toronto lawyer Richard Stepp QC is working to prevent
          this legislation from becoming law.

          The Canada Post Corporation is claiming that lost revenue due to
          the proliferation of email is costing nearly $23,000,000 in
          revenue per year ...

          The letter goes on to warn that

          ... One back-bencher, Liberal Tony Schnell (NB) has even
          suggested a "twenty to forty dollar per month surcharge on all
          Internet service" above and beyond the government's proposed
          email charges ...

          Fortunately, the letter is yet another Internet hoax. According to
          a recent column in the Toronto Sun,

          Don't rush to the keyboards and phones. The lawyer does not
          exist. The law firm whose name appears on the alert does not
          exist. There is no MP named Schnell. Forget Bill 602P; that's
          not even the way bills are numbered.

          [quote shamelessly stolen from David Emery's "Email Tax for
          Canada" column, which we will talk about in a moment ... maybe.]

          Proving the old saying "everything old is new again," here is a recent
          story that has been floating around the Net. See if you notice any
          similarities. The story says that

          Bill 602P will permit the [US] Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent
          surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
          Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn
          by the ISP. Washington D.C. lawyer Richard Stepp is working
          without pay to prevent this legislation from becoming law.

          The U.S. Postal Service is claiming that lost revenue due to the
          proliferation of email is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue
          per year.

          The letter goes on to warn that

          One congressman, Tony Schnell (r) has even suggested a "twenty to
          forty dollar per month surcharge on all Internet service" above
          and beyond the government's proposed email charges

          Deja vu? Yep. The message floating around the Net right now is
          almost word for word the same message that floated around Canada in
          May. [I particularly enjoyed the fact that Mr. Schnell was able to
          switch from being a Canadian Liberal to being an American Republican
          in less than a month -- ain't technology wonderful?!]

          For the record, both stories are hoaxes. Neither Canada nor the US is
          considering an email surcharge. Neither Canada nor the US has a
          lawmaker named "Tony Schnell" [that's what happens when you jump
          parties!]. Neither Canada nor the US has a bill 602P (in Canada,
          bills from the Senate begin with the letter S and bills from the
          Commons begin with the letter C; in the US, bills from the Senate
          begin with the letter S and bills from the House begin with the letter
          H). Finally, neither Toronto nor Washington has a lawyer named
          Richard Stepp.

          ... and, no, Australia isn't considering an email surcharge either. :P

          For more information about this story, visit David Emery's new site at

          http://urbanlegends.about.com/

          =====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
          The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
          Copyright 1995-2000, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
          Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com/

          Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@...
          Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@...

          Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to hop on the Bus!
        • DA
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2 1:40 AM
            Hi All,

            This is another hoax!
            Following is from http://www.house.gov/oxley/s9910a.htm

            DA

            Congressman Michael G. Oxley
            Fourth Ohio District

            Statement on "Bill 602P" and E-Mail Surcharges

            As you may know, it was reported that a "Congressman Tony Schnell" recently
            introduced "Bill 602P," which would allow the federal government to impose a
            five-cent surcharge on every e-mail sent. The money collected would be given to
            the United States Postal Service. This rumor has been widely spread via e-mail
            throughout the country.

            This rumor is absolutely false. No such legislation exists. In fact, no
            "Congressman Tony Schnell" exists. The Postal Service has no authority to
            collect fees for e-mail, and has indicated that it would not support legislation
            to allow such fees to be imposed. You can find more information about this
            rumor at the Postal Service's website.

            As Vice Chairman of the Commerce Committee's Subcommittee on telecommunications,
            Trade, and Consumer Protection, know that I will work hard to ensure that no
            such Internet fees are imposed.

            more Speeches, Statements, and Letters - home
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2 6:22 AM
              Hi Jim and Others,

              >I just received it from about 5 forwards and haven't had the time
              >to verify it.

              About three years ago Bell Telephone was pushing for a law to be
              passed to charge for computer time on-line and connected to local
              telephone companies (TELCO), but the ISPs got together and fought
              it and it never made it too far. That was not a hoax according
              to my ISP at the time. The way it works is ATT and other common
              carriers (OCC), as in all other long distance switching
              companies, lease the line to the various ISPs for the long
              distance (unless they own them <g> like MCI, Sprint, ATT, Altel,
              and whatever other nations use). That might be tin cans and a
              string for Marco and also the hicks in Alabama USA. hahaha (Even
              the carriers lease or trade lines with each other for redundancy
              in case of fiber cuts.) All it takes is a phone call and a tech
              to do some software rerouting and perhaps some manual patching at
              the T1 racks to switch the lines to a different route so little
              down time is experienced. Some of it is all automatic, or at
              least it should be.

              Now, in that case, the analog wave form is received by channel
              banks at TELCO can goes through a converter converting the analog
              to digital to send through the digital equipment. A technique
              called Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) is then used to send the
              digital code out over the network (fiber in most cases today).
              (In America, at least, those little tan colored concrete
              buildings you see in areas are where the copper phone lines go
              in, the signal converted to digital if need be and are then
              shipped over fiber to TELCO.) The PCM is actual samples, or
              pieces of the digital "cut" from the digital pulse so when the
              signal is sent it is send in many bits for faster transmission.
              It is then all put back together at the distance end switch and
              sent through a digital to analog converter where you might hear
              in Italian, buy my paintings at:

              http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo1.jpg
              http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo2.jpg
              http://digilander.iol.it/bernama/borganzo3.jpg

              or in hillbilly from Jody say, buy Fookes Software at:

              Online ordering:
              Secure online ordering with credit card.
              Free Internet download. CD-ROMs available with extras!
              http://www.notetab.net/order/order.htm

              Mail orders:
              Free Internet download. Pay with check or money order.
              "Build a CD-ROM" with any of our products and include
              any registered products that you may have already.
              http://www.notetab.net/order/prtorder.htm

              That of course is the voice, an analog signal path. Your PCs are
              already digital so no converter is needed, just the PCM. This
              concludes Telephony 101 for the day. ;) Yeah, I miss working out
              in the real world. :-( But most of it now a days is just
              glorified Windows plug and play techs that would not know what an
              oscilloscope looked like if they were looking at one nor the
              difference between a flow chart and a schematic. :-( So much for
              the good 'ol days when one would have to bit bang through a
              schematic using an o'scope finding where a signal is lost and
              replacing the card. But, then again, we don't have much downtime
              on our computers either. <big smile>

              The switches all have redundant circuitry and the trouble reports
              are probably about 99% correct today. If a printed circuit board
              (PCB) goes bad, the switch automatically switches to the other
              card (board) and the printers go wild for a few minutes printing
              out the problem, usually saying the same thing over and over. <g>
              The condition is left like that as long as phone processing is
              not interrupted until the maintenance window, usually about
              midnight to 4AM when they feel a bit more comfortable because of
              low traffic letting a human change the card out. <vbg> That
              human gets paid pretty big bucks to do that BTW and is the
              backbone of the telecommunications industry regardless of what
              the hardware and software engineers think. ;) OK, class is over,
              sorry for holding you late. ;)

            • Bill Scott
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3 12:43 PM
                Hi Jim and All:
                My modem reset about the time I was going to go here but this URL says that there is no Bill 602P
                http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/emailtax.html

                Bill Scott

                Try search http://www.google.com/ .,..... Bill 602P for more info ..