Re: [NTO] New Drive

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
      Hi Larry

      > When this new drive boots, it looks for the Windows 98 system
      > files and registry. If they are not there it just comes up
      > with a C prompt. If you also copy all of your files from the
      > old drive including these system files and the registry file to
      > the new drive after doing this, it will find them and come up
      > from a boot just the same as your old drive with the full
      > Windows 98 system setup that you have on your old drive.

      So, theoretically, this should work from DOS, except I would loose
      my longfilenames, correct?

      Copy C\*.* I:\

      The reason I mention DOS is because I notice that Windows is picky
      about copying certain system files. Yes, No on a copy, or am I
      thinking of Delete?

      I suppose I could let it copy over all that will copy, hopefully
      all of them, and if not reinstall Windows on the new drive so it
      only replaces missing or corrupt files.

      The two most common elements in the
      universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

      Signed,
      I. Claim Ignorance

      Clean-Funnies List
      mailto:CF@...?subject=subscribe
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
        Jody,

        If sys.com is available you will only have to boot that way
        initially. Once you run sys.com from a bootable floppy it will,
        or should, make the C:drive bootable.

        hrs

        --
        ¿? Harvey R. Savage
        ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
          Hi Harvey,

          > If sys.com is available you will only have to boot that way
          > initially. Once you run sys.com from a bootable floppy it
          > will, or should, make the C:drive bootable.

          OK, so basically you are saying to make a startup disk before
          proceeding? :)

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
            Jody,

            Pardon me for butting in since this was to Larry but I'm not sure
            you would lose long filenames if you're using the same registry
            files.

            If you can get Larry to rent you a copy of his software that
            should definitely take care of long filenames.

            hrs

            --
            ¿? Harvey R. Savage
            ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
              Jody,

              Right on!

              hrs

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                Jody,

                Addendum; Just make sure the floppy has sys.com on it.

                hrs

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                  Jody,

                  If you decide to go with a bootable floppy do these steps. Any
                  other input is welcome.

                  1. Make a bootable floppy (Startup disk)

                  2. Make sure it has sys.com on it, you also should make a copy
                  of the system files on your C:drive - IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS or,
                  whatever they're called in Win98 to a temp directory or, another
                  floppy. If sys.com overwrites them you can copy your originals
                  back to the root dir.

                  3. If Windows creates an Autoexec.bat on the floppy you probably
                  should edit it so the floppy won't try to start Windows. Don't
                  know if it would but, it would be safer to check.

                  ???? If anyone can point out anything I've omitted Please, Jump
                  in!

                  ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                  ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                  ¿? Eldorado, IL 62930
                  ¿? 618-273-5003
                  ¿? icq 21106393
                  ¿? hsavage@...
                  ¿? (ktcalci)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                    Hi Harvey,

                    > Pardon me for butting in since this was to Larry but I'm not
                    > sure you would lose long filenames if you're using the same
                    > registry files.

                    No problem, we expect that on discussion lists. We do it all the
                    time. Thanks for the other posts. Yes, I will ensure Windows
                    puts sys.com on it.