Re: [NTO] Change Yahoo email address?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 15, 2001
      alice ttlg wrote:

      > <grin> It's rather convoluted now, here's the info that an eGroups engineer
      > posted (comments are his):

      Thanks alice! That yahoogroups address change procedure is so aburd it
      belongs in a Franz Kafka short story. In fact, all by itself it could
      pass as a Kafka story.

      I don't think I would ever have figured that one out on my own.

      I wish they could just go back to the egroups interface. It was so easy
      to understand.

      Oh well...
    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2001

        Hi all!
        I start working with Samba (it's the right season, now <g>).
        What a luxury to browse a Windows disk from Linux machine and vice-versa!
        And moreover the KDE file manager act like AcdSee, showing thumbnails for
        images...
        There is only a drawback with the free version of Samba: oba dancers aren't
        included.
        Now I'm testing how to launch NoteTab with Wine on the Samba connection,
        because I think it must be possible: stay tuned.

        Bye!

        Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
          Hi Marco,

          >Now I'm testing how to launch NoteTab with Wine on the Samba
          >connection, because I think it must be possible: stay tuned.

          Well, can you Samba/Wine/NoteTab? That was my whole purpose of
          trying to install Linux before that caused such a mess. I've
          seen more of Linux than I wish to and not impressed with it at
          all. ;)

        • Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001

            Alle 14.16 Sunday 18/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

            >Well, can you Samba/Wine/NoteTab? That was my whole purpose of
            >trying to install Linux before that caused such a mess. I've
            >seen more of Linux than I wish to and not impressed with it at
            >all. ;)

            The guy who install me RedHat don't install Wine because I tell him to make
            a Linux-only box... Now I making some voodoo things on him, while
            installing RH7 ;-)
            However the Samba net is really good: I must try to add a Macintosh to see
            what happens, and if it's possible to share files with a PC.

            Bye!

            Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
              Hi Marco,

              >However the Samba net is really good:

              But what about NoteTab and Wine?

              Bye for now,
              Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
              http://www.purewords.org/kjb1611
              http://www.notetab.net
            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001

                Alle 17.30 Sunday 18/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                >But what about NoteTab and Wine?

                Must install Wine: I went to wine.org and I found only Beaujolais...

                hic!

                Marco Bernardini
              • Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001

                  >Alle 17.30 Sunday 18/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:
                  >
                  > >But what about NoteTab and Wine?
                  >
                  >Must install Wine: I went to wine.org and I found only Beaujolais...
                  >
                  >hic!

                  Wrong URL: Wine is at
                  http://www.codeweavers.com/wine/ (a 12 meg download!)
                  and
                  http://www.winehq.com (useful infos)

                  Bye

                  Marco Bernardini
                • Bill Scott
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 19, 2001
                    Hi Jody:
                    The easiest Linux box to install is Mandrake 7.x I installed Best Linux first because of the hype on customer support ... then I enstalled Mandrake 7.1 because it came with a book that I bought ... Linux for Windows NT/2000
                    administrators by Mark Minasi .... it came up and installed itself ... you still cannot take the windows approach wiith Linux ... you can't just noodle around until you get it to work ... you have to know what you are doing ... the other thing is there are five different tools to do the same thing which is confusing to windows people because we are not used to that ... all of the third party adds on that we are used to paying for windows in Linux are free ... but the cost is learning how to be an administrator ... it takes some reading ... or a friend that has already been there
                    *||:^) I also setup samba which is the SMB protocol that windows uses to be on the LAN ... with Samba your windows server sees Linux as a windows box and you can drag drop and so on just like it was another disk ... I went with Linux because I wanted to learn it but for you ... to setup a network then have a Linux box you can still use your outdated 100mhz boxes for print servers or workstations or whatever and they will be faster than than the newer machines and more stable
                    Jody:
                    But what about NoteTab and Wine?
                    Bill:
                    I have not had a chance to work with Wine yet ... I will test it for you next ... my friend Douglas suggested the following programs ... VNC is a FREE virtual server
                    or Win4Lin is another such like Wine here are the URL's ... Linux is the better and more stable of the OS's but you have to learn how to set it up ... then once it is setup .... it runs without any problems and does not crash ... i.e. the blue screen of death from windows does .... anyway ... here are the URLS

                    VNC .... virtual server is free and very easy to install ...
                    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

                    Win4Lin ...
                    http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin/docs/index.php

                  • Bill Scott
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 19, 2001
                      Hi Marco:
                      I have Best Linux or Mandrake CD that I can mail to you that will probably be cheaper than downloading 12 meg ... thirteen days later ... ha ha ...

                      Bill Scott

                      email me privatley and let me kin ...

                    • Marco Bernardini
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 19, 2001

                        Alle 10.39 Monday 19/02/2001 -0800, Bill Scott ha mandato a Marco questo
                        messaggio:

                        >I have Best Linux or Mandrake CD that I can mail to you that will probably
                        >be cheaper than downloading 12 meg ... thirteen days later ... ha ha ...

                        No problems, Bill: in our office we have a permanent connection, so from
                        home I can launch a wget on the server and burn a CD with all the stuff the
                        day after. Wine site is fast, so the download takes half a hour or so.
                        But I must install RH7, before...
                        Our tech boy try to download the CD images of RH7 (250 hours of download,
                        on our slow-but-expensive line) 3 times, before to have a working CD: it's
                        appalling to see the message "Please download again" after 250 hours!

                        Bye

                        Marco Bernardini