Re: [NTO] New Drive

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      If you cable it to the same plug as your current, I'm assuming
      C:drive, it should work. The only drawback that comes to mind
      is, it will not be a bootable drive unless you have a plan to
      boot from a system floppy and run SYS.COM on it to install the
      boot function on it. I believe SYS.COM also alters the fat to
      make it bootable.

      Another alternative would be to find software to make a mirror
      image of the C: on the new drive.

      I seem to recall from previous posts you have Win98. I assume
      that version still uses SYS.COM or something similar to make a
      drive bootable.

      I know nearly nothing about 98 so I hope this is useful.

      hrs

      --
      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
        Hi Harvey,

        > If you cable it to the same plug as your current, I'm assuming
        > C:drive, it should work. The only drawback that comes to mind
        > is, it will not be a bootable drive unless you have a plan to
        > boot from a system floppy and run SYS.COM on it to install the
        > boot function on it. I believe SYS.COM also alters the fat to
        > make it bootable.

        Booting from a floppy was what I was trying to avoid or changing
        my CMOS to whatever drive to get it to boot there. I like to
        stay with default configurations when it comes to things like
        this. I will just start afresh if everything will not just
        simply roll over. Yes, I am in Win98.

        > Another alternative would be to find software to make a mirror
        > image of the C: on the new drive.

        That sounds feasible, but unless somebody has a link to freeware
        off hand, I'll probably just rebuild everything since it might
        take me just as long resizing my current drives once I swing it
        over if I do it at all. :)

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
          Hi Jody,

          At 05:50 PM 04/16/2000 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi All,
          >
          >I am getting a new hard drive. Can I cable it and have it come
          >up as drive L:\ or whatever is next in line and drag/drop my
          >current drive structure from my mt current drive over to it?
          >Well, I know I can do that. My question really is, once I make
          >the new drive primary and disconnect the old drive, will the new
          >drive come up like my old drive? Will CMOS and Windows
          >understand and make the changes automatically? I would rather
          >not rebuild everything since I just did that less than a month
          >ago.

          This will not work by itself because you will not be dragging and dropping
          the MBR (Master Boot Record) to the new drive. The new drive must have a
          master boot record to make it bootable.

          I previously purchased a $30.00 program called Drive Copy that will copy,
          create, and move partitions including the master boot record within a drive
          or between drives. I now have System Commander 2000 which does the same
          thing and lets you install multiple OSes on your hard drive.

          I have discovered trhough trial and error though that you can use a
          bootable floppy that you create from your current Windows 98 setup and use
          the sys command to copy the boot files to the new drive as if it were a
          floppy. This process also places a master boot record on the new drive
          which makes it bootable so the drive will boot to a C prompt just the same
          as a bootable floppy will. When this new drive boots, it looks for the
          Windows 98 system files and registry. If they are not there it just comes
          up with a C prompt. If you also copy all of your files from the old drive
          including these system files and the registry file to the new drive after
          doing this, it will find them and come up from a boot just the same as your
          old drive with the full Windows 98 system setup that you have on your old
          drive.

          My experience with my new computer:

          This probably does not apply to you but here is info on a new installation:

          This works when adding a new drive but it will not work if you want to move
          your system to a totally new computer because the motherboard, cpu, I/O
          ports, Video display cards and so forth are usually different. With a
          totally new system, you are usually stuck with reinstalling Windows to get
          it to load the correct drivers and find all the periferal devices for all
          of these things.

          Good luck,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
            Hi Larry

            > When this new drive boots, it looks for the Windows 98 system
            > files and registry. If they are not there it just comes up
            > with a C prompt. If you also copy all of your files from the
            > old drive including these system files and the registry file to
            > the new drive after doing this, it will find them and come up
            > from a boot just the same as your old drive with the full
            > Windows 98 system setup that you have on your old drive.

            So, theoretically, this should work from DOS, except I would loose
            my longfilenames, correct?

            Copy C\*.* I:\

            The reason I mention DOS is because I notice that Windows is picky
            about copying certain system files. Yes, No on a copy, or am I
            thinking of Delete?

            I suppose I could let it copy over all that will copy, hopefully
            all of them, and if not reinstall Windows on the new drive so it
            only replaces missing or corrupt files.

            The two most common elements in the
            universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

            Signed,
            I. Claim Ignorance

            Clean-Funnies List
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
              Jody,

              If sys.com is available you will only have to boot that way
              initially. Once you run sys.com from a bootable floppy it will,
              or should, make the C:drive bootable.

              hrs

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                Hi Harvey,

                > If sys.com is available you will only have to boot that way
                > initially. Once you run sys.com from a bootable floppy it
                > will, or should, make the C:drive bootable.

                OK, so basically you are saying to make a startup disk before
                proceeding? :)

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                  Jody,

                  Pardon me for butting in since this was to Larry but I'm not sure
                  you would lose long filenames if you're using the same registry
                  files.

                  If you can get Larry to rent you a copy of his software that
                  should definitely take care of long filenames.

                  hrs

                  --
                  ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                  ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                    Jody,

                    Right on!

                    hrs

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                      Jody,

                      Addendum; Just make sure the floppy has sys.com on it.

                      hrs

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                        Jody,

                        If you decide to go with a bootable floppy do these steps. Any
                        other input is welcome.

                        1. Make a bootable floppy (Startup disk)

                        2. Make sure it has sys.com on it, you also should make a copy
                        of the system files on your C:drive - IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS or,
                        whatever they're called in Win98 to a temp directory or, another
                        floppy. If sys.com overwrites them you can copy your originals
                        back to the root dir.

                        3. If Windows creates an Autoexec.bat on the floppy you probably
                        should edit it so the floppy won't try to start Windows. Don't
                        know if it would but, it would be safer to check.

                        ???? If anyone can point out anything I've omitted Please, Jump
                        in!

                        ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                        ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                        ¿? Eldorado, IL 62930
                        ¿? 618-273-5003
                        ¿? icq 21106393
                        ¿? hsavage@...
                        ¿? (ktcalci)
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 16, 2000
                          Hi Harvey,

                          > Pardon me for butting in since this was to Larry but I'm not
                          > sure you would lose long filenames if you're using the same
                          > registry files.

                          No problem, we expect that on discussion lists. We do it all the
                          time. Thanks for the other posts. Yes, I will ensure Windows
                          puts sys.com on it.