Re: [NTO] Change Yahoo email address?

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 14, 2001
      From: "Clueless in Seattle" <clueless.in.seattle@...>
      > Do any of you know the trick to changing your email mailng address on
      > Yahoogroups?
      >
      > I know, this is WAY off topic. But since we switched from eGroups to
      > Yahoogroups things don't seem to work the same as they used to.

      <grin> It's rather convoluted now, here's the info that an eGroups engineer
      posted (comments are his):

      *********************
      To change your email addresses on Yahoo! Groups:
      - Click on the Account Info link in the upper right corner
      - Click the edit image next to "member information"
      - Change your address, or add your new address as an alternate and click
      Finished
      - Click the edit image next to "member information" again
      - If your new address is listed as "non-verified", click that link and then
      follow those pages (with the email) to verify your address

      Ok, now you've added a new address to your account. Now, to change your
      Groups subscriptions to it:
      - If the new address is already known to eGroups, you'll have to convert it.
      Sorry, we're working on eliminating this part. If this is the case, it'll be
      listed under "Not currently available for Subscription", and you can click the
      "Convert" link to convert it.
      - Click on the "Edit Delivery Options" link
      - You should now be able to select your new email address in each of the drops
      downs.
      - If you want, you can then "remove" your other address from your account by
      going back to the My Preferences page and clicking "Remove"

      I know, it's long, we're working on several short cuts to make the process
      easier.

      Bigfoot subscribes to ORBS, a spam blocking service and ORBS has put Yahoo in
      it's database thru a manual entry because of one single complaint of spam by
      the guy who *is* ORBS. I don't think the complaint is justified but there's
      nothing to be done apparently. You can complain to Bigfoot that Yahoo Groups
      is not spam, that's it legitimate mail requested by Bigfoot users, dunno if it
      will help tho.

      And the reason you get some mail is because only some of the many Yahoo
      servers are in the block list, so some mail gets thru and some doesn't.

      alice ttlg (would rather get spam than have her mail censored by anyone)

      http://www.alicettlg.com/
      Good conversation is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep
      after. -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh
    • Clueless in Seattle
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 15, 2001
        alice ttlg wrote:

        > <grin> It's rather convoluted now, here's the info that an eGroups engineer
        > posted (comments are his):

        Thanks alice! That yahoogroups address change procedure is so aburd it
        belongs in a Franz Kafka short story. In fact, all by itself it could
        pass as a Kafka story.

        I don't think I would ever have figured that one out on my own.

        I wish they could just go back to the egroups interface. It was so easy
        to understand.

        Oh well...
      • Marco Bernardini
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2001

          Hi all!
          I start working with Samba (it's the right season, now <g>).
          What a luxury to browse a Windows disk from Linux machine and vice-versa!
          And moreover the KDE file manager act like AcdSee, showing thumbnails for
          images...
          There is only a drawback with the free version of Samba: oba dancers aren't
          included.
          Now I'm testing how to launch NoteTab with Wine on the Samba connection,
          because I think it must be possible: stay tuned.

          Bye!

          Marco Bernardini
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
            Hi Marco,

            >Now I'm testing how to launch NoteTab with Wine on the Samba
            >connection, because I think it must be possible: stay tuned.

            Well, can you Samba/Wine/NoteTab? That was my whole purpose of
            trying to install Linux before that caused such a mess. I've
            seen more of Linux than I wish to and not impressed with it at
            all. ;)

          • Marco Bernardini
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001

              Alle 14.16 Sunday 18/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

              >Well, can you Samba/Wine/NoteTab? That was my whole purpose of
              >trying to install Linux before that caused such a mess. I've
              >seen more of Linux than I wish to and not impressed with it at
              >all. ;)

              The guy who install me RedHat don't install Wine because I tell him to make
              a Linux-only box... Now I making some voodoo things on him, while
              installing RH7 ;-)
              However the Samba net is really good: I must try to add a Macintosh to see
              what happens, and if it's possible to share files with a PC.

              Bye!

              Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001
                Hi Marco,

                >However the Samba net is really good:

                But what about NoteTab and Wine?

                Bye for now,
                Jody Adair
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
                http://www.purewords.org/kjb1611
                http://www.notetab.net
              • Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001

                  Alle 17.30 Sunday 18/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                  >But what about NoteTab and Wine?

                  Must install Wine: I went to wine.org and I found only Beaujolais...

                  hic!

                  Marco Bernardini
                • Marco Bernardini
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 18, 2001

                    >Alle 17.30 Sunday 18/02/2001 -0600, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:
                    >
                    > >But what about NoteTab and Wine?
                    >
                    >Must install Wine: I went to wine.org and I found only Beaujolais...
                    >
                    >hic!

                    Wrong URL: Wine is at
                    http://www.codeweavers.com/wine/ (a 12 meg download!)
                    and
                    http://www.winehq.com (useful infos)

                    Bye

                    Marco Bernardini
                  • Bill Scott
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 19, 2001
                      Hi Jody:
                      The easiest Linux box to install is Mandrake 7.x I installed Best Linux first because of the hype on customer support ... then I enstalled Mandrake 7.1 because it came with a book that I bought ... Linux for Windows NT/2000
                      administrators by Mark Minasi .... it came up and installed itself ... you still cannot take the windows approach wiith Linux ... you can't just noodle around until you get it to work ... you have to know what you are doing ... the other thing is there are five different tools to do the same thing which is confusing to windows people because we are not used to that ... all of the third party adds on that we are used to paying for windows in Linux are free ... but the cost is learning how to be an administrator ... it takes some reading ... or a friend that has already been there
                      *||:^) I also setup samba which is the SMB protocol that windows uses to be on the LAN ... with Samba your windows server sees Linux as a windows box and you can drag drop and so on just like it was another disk ... I went with Linux because I wanted to learn it but for you ... to setup a network then have a Linux box you can still use your outdated 100mhz boxes for print servers or workstations or whatever and they will be faster than than the newer machines and more stable
                      Jody:
                      But what about NoteTab and Wine?
                      Bill:
                      I have not had a chance to work with Wine yet ... I will test it for you next ... my friend Douglas suggested the following programs ... VNC is a FREE virtual server
                      or Win4Lin is another such like Wine here are the URL's ... Linux is the better and more stable of the OS's but you have to learn how to set it up ... then once it is setup .... it runs without any problems and does not crash ... i.e. the blue screen of death from windows does .... anyway ... here are the URLS

                      VNC .... virtual server is free and very easy to install ...
                      http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

                      Win4Lin ...
                      http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin/docs/index.php

                    • Bill Scott
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 19, 2001
                        Hi Marco:
                        I have Best Linux or Mandrake CD that I can mail to you that will probably be cheaper than downloading 12 meg ... thirteen days later ... ha ha ...

                        Bill Scott

                        email me privatley and let me kin ...

                      • Marco Bernardini
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 19, 2001

                          Alle 10.39 Monday 19/02/2001 -0800, Bill Scott ha mandato a Marco questo
                          messaggio:

                          >I have Best Linux or Mandrake CD that I can mail to you that will probably
                          >be cheaper than downloading 12 meg ... thirteen days later ... ha ha ...

                          No problems, Bill: in our office we have a permanent connection, so from
                          home I can launch a wget on the server and burn a CD with all the stuff the
                          day after. Wine site is fast, so the download takes half a hour or so.
                          But I must install RH7, before...
                          Our tech boy try to download the CD images of RH7 (250 hours of download,
                          on our slow-but-expensive line) 3 times, before to have a working CD: it's
                          appalling to see the message "Please download again" after 250 hours!

                          Bye

                          Marco Bernardini